Sig p6 for Carry. FMJ for round?

I ordered a p6 from AIM. It was in good shape. Date is 1980 so it has the "old feedramp". I tested with HPs - ran about 100-150 until I had a FTF today.

I plan to use this as my Carry Weapon when I get my permit. I've lost some faith in it with the failure. It runs perfectly with FMJs...so far anyway. It's eaten about 200-250 without a hiccup.

Should I still trust the HP? Would you recommend carrying it with FMJs?

I'd really like to make it work - it fits me perfectly and I already have a holster I like.

Thoughts?

+1 on the don't use FMJ for carry. I would try some other loads like Federal HydroShock and Speer GoldDots too. My defensive 9mm is in the 124 gr range and I use what the local cops use. If the gun won't shoot at least 200 rnds without a hick-up with your carry load, I would not trust it at all. .

thanks for the comments guys -

questions: how many rounds should I try until I can be satisfied that they are reliable with that ammo?

and Will hand cycling it be a good enough test for reliability?

The standard is around 200 rounds minimum without a malfunction as a basic test, more if you can afford it. No, hand cycling is not a valid test, all rounds must be fired and preferably at a man silhouette in a manner mimicking combat conditions (about 5 to 7 yards range as this is closest most ranges want you to shoot at). You should speed test it and see if it jams during rapid fire and double taps. See how well it groups and controls under rapid fire, misses will only get you killed in a gun fight. Also test smoothness of draw from concealment. You should be able to draw from concealment and get two shots off with good hits under 2 seconds at 5 to 7 yards, minimum acceptable standard for defensive carry. Hope this helps.

Get several types of hollow points. The weapon may prefer some over others and if you find it, stick with it. The hydra-shocks are pricey but they might work well for you.

Don't use fmj for concealed carry, especially in 9mm.

And no mater how reliable your ammo is in your weapon, you should still practice clearing stoppages.

The 9mm I have is an old police issue S&W 39-2 that's had the feed ramp throated out. It's never jammed on me and it's eaten everything I've fed it. I almost feel guilty that I've since moved on to a .45. The .45 also eats everything but it did jam once when I used frangible ammo.

FMJ can sometimes work. The FMJ has a nasty little habit of not stopping. Overpenatration is bad,very bad. My CCW instructor said everytime you squeeze it's 50K. When the bullet strikes the target you want maximum damage with no overpenatration. FMJ's were never designed to "dump it's energy" FMJ's punch nice holes through things. Bad for stopping people. H.P. ammo opens up when it impacts soft tissue, that is the "dump". If you can't find a H.P. load that works with your P6, then get another gun. Don't carry FMJ's especially in 9mm they go fast.

Hornady XTP's load very well in some of my otherwise questionably reliable guns. They have a minimal cavity, but still expand pretty well. They also run a bit less than the botique ammo, and you can buy just the bullets yourself and reload to see how well they function test for less money than you would pay for a couple hundred rounds of store bought ammo. When CCW'ing don't run your own reloads, as the attorneys will make you out to be some sort of vigilante even if what you work up is 70% of what a factory load is.

Hornady XTP's load very well in some of my otherwise questionably reliable guns. They have a minimal cavity, but still expand pretty well. They also run a bit less than the botique ammo, and you can buy just the bullets yourself and reload to see how well they function test for less money than you would pay for a couple hundred rounds of store bought ammo. When CCW'ing don't run your own reloads, as the attorneys will make you out to be some sort of vigilante even if what you work up is 70% of what a factory load is.

Yup aint that the truth!!! "Hand loaded lethal ammunition that was waiting to take a life" We all know that's bullshit,but would a jury of your "peers"? If you can,carry whatever your local LEO does.

thanks for the advice everyone..

i'm going to stick only with HPs - (or the Full metal expanding stuff mentioned when I find some).

I also did some reading and thus ordered some new mag springs and a new recoil spring. I'll also polish up the ramp (but not go dremel crazy just yet) a bit and see if that works.

Next at the gun show, i'll pick up some different HPs as well... hopefully that covers the bases and I'll report what happens. =)

thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I polished the ramp a bit - i was gentle. No dremel. Just fine grit on a dowel and then some polish by hand.

Ordered some wolf springs to replace the stock one. I also replaced the magazine springs to +5%.

Tried it the other day. I only managed to test with a little over a box of HPs (so a little over 50 rounds)...they all worked flawlessly. I even mixed them up with various FMJs that I had sitting around and they all worked. I'll keep testing but I think I'm off to a good start.

I hated to have to search for EFMJs or more difficult to find HPs...the WWB from walmart work fine now.

Thanks for all the advice. I love this gun again.