.223 barrel diameter and accuracy?

Im not 100% sure about the exact dimensions of the Saiga 7.62, but the Saiga .223 is the same diameter barrel at least at the gas block, as most of the sturdier AK's.

here is a comparison:

SAIGA .223 : .631

YUGOSLAVIAN AB2: .631

RUSSIAN MILLED: .631

MAK 90 7.62X39 U/F: .631

ROMMY G : .592

POLISH U/F 7.62X39: .592

HUNGARIAN AMD 65: .592

So, you can see there are basicly two standard barrel diameters, and the S.233 is the heavier of the two. As for thats actual effect on accuracy, that anyones guess, but it cant hurt.

saigas are comming in with two different thicknesses, some are the same dia as 7.62x39mm: ".631", these have the regular pinned gas block, front sight etc... There are also thinner barrels comming in witht he gas block and front sight dimpled instead of pinned.

saigas are comming in with two different thicknesses, some are the same dia as 7.62x39mm: ".631", these have the regular pinned gas block, front sight etc... There are also thinner barrels comming in witht he gas block and front sight dimpled instead of pinned.

JK-47 I'm assuming your speaking of the 223's with the different barrel thicknesses? I didn't know that. Has this been going on for awhile or is it new? An earlier reply said that the .631 barrels are the thickness quality of the better AK's. Does this mean that the smaller diameter barrels coming in are of lesser quality? And does anyone know the size difference? Thanks

Vjor is the guy here to talk too, he has his hands on a lot of saigas and was the first to point out the two different barrel types on .223 saigas. I wouldn't say theres a big quality difference, but I think most prefer a thicker barrel if given the option.

• 2 months later...
Vjor is the guy here to talk too, he has his hands on a lot of saigas and was the first to point out the two different barrel types on .223 saigas. I wouldn't say theres a big quality difference, but I think most prefer a thicker barrel if given the option.

Is there a way to tell from serial numbers which diameter barrel it is? The closest I can convert that to a fraction is in thousanths.

I do not have a ruler or a tape that can measure that fine.

I do not have the oposite barrel to compare against mine.

Thanks.