• 10 round drum same or shorter than SS 5
    • 12 round drum same or slightly longer than SS 5

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It got bumped because the poll is still open and some jagoff felt they needed to participate in the old poll.

You know all drum possibility where not mentioned in this poll! How many votes would this thing get?

Hmm... I think if it held too many rounds, I could have lower back problems.

Almost forgot. Here is a breakdown of currently available aftremarket feed devices for comparison. Price is actual street price.

Current Products:

AGP 10 round magazines

Long, but reliable and relatively high capacity

Price: $42-60

Taiwanese 5 round mags

Quality reproduction of factory mags; compact and reliable

Price: $20-25

Tromix AGP mag base

Allows shortening of AGP mags to 2, 4, 6 and eight round capacities

Price: $20

MD Arms 20 round drum

Highest capacity available; much shorter than an AGP mag, not a damn WM

Price: $230

Edited by stiletto raggio
  • Like 1

Zak,

I just posted about the possibility of three round mag extensions. Apparently Cobra 762 has something up his sleeve. If it works out, and +3 mag extensions are available on the quick and cheap, you will be able to convert readily available factory mags and Taiwanese mags for cheaper than anyoen can build an eight rounder. JMHO, but I don't think it would make sense for a manufacturer to set up to make something with an equivalent product on the market. So long as teh extensions are reliable, I think they will supercede demand for a factory-made eight rounder.

I just want the most for the least short of the 20 round drum. I do not want the wm 30 round drum, that's just stupid obscene. I would love a drum one of these days and might get one.

But I also would love some cheap 16 round double stack mags. Not quite the allure and awesomeness of the drum but still very fun for plinking.

I would enjoy having say around 2-4 agp 10 rounders, a MD drum or 2, and a few cheaper double stack 16 rounders. That would cover my bases.

Zak,

I just posted about the possibility of three round mag extensions. Apparently Cobra 762 has something up his sleeve. If it works out, and +3 mag extensions are available on the quick and cheap, you will be able to convert readily available factory mags and Taiwanese mags for cheaper than anyoen can build an eight rounder. JMHO, but I don't think it would make sense for a manufacturer to set up to make something with an equivalent product on the market. So long as teh extensions are reliable, I think they will supercede demand for a factory-made eight rounder.

I doubt most would consider factory 8rders to be "on the market" when their going price (if you can find one) is always over $120. And although an extension might be nice for blasting at the range, it would probably make the good ol' 5rder look like a frankenmag. Too bad the taiwanese made a factory look-alike 5rd instead of an 8rd.

Agreed. Eight rounders are rare, and why the Taiwanese can't make clones of those, I don't know. I am no legal expert but something tells me it is fear of 922® violation or a refusal from ATF to allow importation. Go figure.

I do think it is interesting to note that so far, teh 12 round DS mags seem to be the most popular option. Would anyone else like to explain their choices?

... Apparently Cobra 762 has something up his sleeve.....

Cobra76two has something up his sleeve.... ummm, along with magwells and LRBHO.... we have all been reading these sorts of things for well over twelve months, if not twenty-four months.

Yet... I do so enjoy keeping all these dreams alive!

:super:

I'd like to see a compact 12rnd drum (Like the one that Chaos was proposing), and a GOOD copy of the OEM 8rnd mag (or more OEM 8 rounders). I should have an MD 20 within the month so it's not on my too do list anymore :devil: . I like the idea of a DS 12 rounder, but I'd like to see it in action for a few years before I trust it on my duty gun. I trust OEM 5 rounders completely, 10 Round APGs, not so much.

I like the idea of hi capacity drums/mags, but you have to figure the weight/bulk factor in. IF you only want a range toy thats one thing, but for a combat application the weight of 16 shells is significant.

A compact 10 round mag/drum strikes a good balance. When I ran my last 3gun I had to carry three AGP mags and they were heavy and bulky. I'll put up with the weight, figure a better way to distribute the weight, whatever, but it would be alot easier if they weren't so freak'n long.

I would like to see a compact 10rd drum, and/or an 8-10 rd DS. The factory 5 rd is great, the 10 rd is great, and the MD20 is great. But something that carries a good load, in a compact package would be perfect to use after the Zombies have absorbed all the ammo from the MD, and you gotta RUN!

12 round double stack, or good clone of the OEM 8rd mag - my two votes. the double stack vote was because you could probably make it look similar to the OEM 8rd mag. To me: the aesthetics of the OEM 8rd mag are what fit the saiga-12 well. AGP looks pretty stupid on it if you ask me.

Cobra76two has something up his sleeve.... ummm, along with magwells and LRBHO.... we have all been reading these sorts of things for well over twelve months, if not twenty-four months.

Fortunately, Cobra has a lot of sleeves...

Fortunately, Cobra has a lot of sleeves...

Just last weekend I saw on one of the outdoor shooting cable channels a 3-gun special. One guy had a kick-ass Saiga 12, and one had a SPAS-12 that he built a welded frankenmag for that I think held 12 rounds???? They claimed that one magazine for the mag was either 600 or 800 bucks and the gun was 12K plus. Is this really true?

I hope we never see the democratic no import crap policy days in the future that could bring this type of absolute psychosis around a weapon. If it did happen, just think what your stockpile of AGP mags will be worth. I think this is the biggest box I would consider. Already heavy enough and unwieldy to store or carry spares. Can't image a double stack 8 or 12. Now a 6.......HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

To me, anything over 12 rounds is for the range or--maybe--a home defense gun. If you are carrying or shooting the gun for a long spell, holding more weight becomes more tiring. That said, however, I think of of the greatest things about a Saiga is that no matter how many rounds your magazine holds, they are all between the hands. A tube-fed 10 rounder puts a lot of that weight out front, making the gun feel sluggish and poorly balanced. I would venture that a 10 or 12 round magazine in a Saiga matches or beats weight distribution/handling qualities found in a loaded 8 shot tube-fed gun.

Also, I think the small drums would be awesome. IMO, due to spring and feed dynamics, they are likely to be more reliable than stick mags, and certainly much more compact. As mentioned in my initial descriptions, a 12 round drum could be made barely any longer than a factory five-rounder. It would weigh around 1.5 pounds loaded and, if designed correctly, could avoid many of the reliability problems that inherently must be worked out on a DS mag. That is not to say reliable DS mags are impossible to design and build, but they will probably take a good bit of trial and error to get right, and then be a more finicky design to keep running. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am. Of course, cost of manufacture is going to be greater on a small drum, but I think it can be done.

Edited by stiletto raggio

I'd spring for a few 16-rd doubles and 12 round drums to go with the two 20's I have coming and the 26 10's I already have. I'm certain I'd buy whatever...I like to have a variety. :devil:

My second choice vote was for the 16rd double stack, however looking at the straight 10 rd, I think it is too long. So I would change my vote for second choice to the 8rd double stack.

Also, what kind of time frame would you be looking at to get the winner (looks like the 12rd double stack) to us?

Thanks, Pete