How does your Saiga 308 group?

I missed the boat to buy one of these back when they weren't $500 or $600 by the time it got back to the house. Now that these are costing more I'd like to know more about how they shoot. I'm sure they have the reliability of an AK, but what about the accuracy. I can live with about 1" groups at 100 yards, but anything over 1 1/2" just ruins the fun.

Any thoughts?

my .308 has a 16" barrel, and the grps are about 2" at 100yrds w/ surplus ammo. pretty good in my book. and it wasnt secured in a vice, held in my hands and the barrel was resting on a bag. it was a 5 shot grp, 3 were close, but 2 were a little away from the 3.

• 2 months later...

I stopped shooting at the 200yd range because the guys with $1500+ guns were getting very upset with me for kicking their asses with this "piece of junk."

With my reloaded ammo, 180gr, milsurp powder, etc...

2" at 200yds, casually.

If I really put my mind to it, I can make a 10rnd nickel sized raged hole.

Call me a liar if you want. I sleep with it next to me sometimes... ;-) Best gun I ever bought. FBMG just made it better.

10rd mag,5 shots,tapped the front for windage another 5 shots,tapped it again and then realized I was out of 308 for the 3rd group("X" marks the spot).

22" barrel cut to 17.8" and crowned with Brownell's crown facing cutter and a 45 degree chamfer.I believe this was 147gr NATO stuff.The 12.63 twist of the Saiga 308 would be optimized for lighter bullets.

CIMG0721.jpg

The twist is my only bitch about this rifle,they make their 7.62x39 1 in 10 but all of the common 7.62x39 ammo is light weight(that's why 7.62 Saigas won't print like 308s and 223s even with the good ammo) and the S308 has a twist that likes lighter bullets instead of the venerable 168gr match or the 175gr,go figure :P.Reload some 150gr+ bullets and shoot them in your 7.62x39 Saiga and watch it tighten up just like these S308s with quarter sized 5 shot groups at 100 Yards and if your S308 won't pull under a 2.5" group at 100 then try lighter weight bullets or even think about recrowning it and it will "do the deal" if it wasn't already.

Nothing pisses off the gun yuppies like a Saiga in any caliber in competent hands :D

Edited by SOPMOD
  • 4 weeks later...

Across the hood of my pickup at approximately 100 yards my first Saiga 308-1 printed 3-4 inch groups. A rolled up jacket was used for stability and 145 Silver Bear was the ammunition. I emptied an 8 round magazine per group. This is the shooting position I find myself in while chasing coyotes around the farm. I'm sure a scope would improve things but putting a scope on an AK design just doesn't fit with me. To be honest the front sight on the Saiga is a bit too thick for any kind of distance accuracy through my eyes. If I want exacting precision I have a Savage .223 and a Browning Varmint in .223 wssm. The Saiga is a hoot to shoot and using it instead of the Browning wssm gives the coyotes a sporting chance... :killer:

• 1 month later...
Across the hood of my pickup at approximately 100 yards my first Saiga 308-1 printed 3-4 inch groups. A rolled up jacket was used for stability and 145 Silver Bear was the ammunition. I emptied an 8 round magazine per group. This is the shooting position I find myself in while chasing coyotes around the farm. I'm sure a scope would improve things but putting a scope on an AK design just doesn't fit with me. To be honest the front sight on the Saiga is a bit too thick for any kind of distance accuracy through my eyes. If I want exacting precision I have a Savage .223 and a Browning Varmint in .223 wssm. The Saiga is a hoot to shoot and using it instead of the Browning wssm gives the coyotes a sporting chance... :killer:

The factory front sight is about 6 MOA at 100 yards. I replaced it with a skinny front post from techsights.com and my groups got scary small for irons. If you don not plan on scoping it, I would get one of these.

With Zeiss optics, 21" barrel, and match ammo, I am able to get 1" @ 100 yards and 9-10" @ 500 yards. I am currently experimenting with different loads and commercial ammo to get those long-range groups a little tighter. I want to use the gun in a precision rifle class. Not bad for a cheap commie gun.

I wasn't aware an aftermarket front sight was available. Thanks for the heads-up 'desert dog"! I'm thinking of converting one of these with a pistol grip and different fcg. Give it a more traditional AK look. The first time I saw one of these "shorty" saiga's in 308 I just had to have one...then another!

post-14788-1233985969_thumb.jpg