Conver or get a stock with a pistol grip?

Would I be dumb for just getting a stock with a grip on it? I have seen some posts where people were poking fun at such a thing. I am not a huge fan on drilling and stuff myself nor do I want to pay an arm and a leg to do it. I also dont know how I feel about permanently changing it especially after reading that post about assault bans and Obama getting elected. I was thinking about this one Stock

Does anyone have any experience with it?

I'm also in the boat with you in regards to converting without cutting off the tang. You can move the trigger guard forward and add a pistol grip without modifying anything on the weapon if you use a Tromix or Saigatech trigger guard. I am looking at doing the same thing and using a M4 style collapsible stock that will fit with the existing tang. This would keep the weapon balanced, shorter and still allow it to be reconfigured to the original monte carlo configuration without much work.

My only concern is the felt recoil on the M4 stock. These stocks were created with the mindset of minimal recoil due to the NATO 5.54 round and also body armor to soak up any little recoil. I would think that without some thick recoil pads on the stock that the 12 gauge recoil will definitely leave some soreness behind after a few rounds. I'm also interested in finding a stock that can handle the extra recoil of the 12 gauge without failing. Some items I need to find. I know there are quite a few stocks available and some are better than others. I've heard the limbsaver recoil pads are pretty good. I will probably give those a try.

Long reply, short. I would move the trigger forward and find a way to install a M4 style stock without cutting off the tang if you want to be able to configure back to original in the future.

Regards,

J

The correct answer is to restore the gun to it's proper configuration.

The only thing stopping you is fear.

Fear of:

1) Obama

2) Cost

3) Drilling

4) Making a mistake

Based on your fears, the right choice is to sell it.

Your alternative is to man-up and do the right thing.

Words of wisdom: The right choice is usually the hard choice.

once you add the pistol grip to a saiga, you'll have to make sure you comply with 922r.

check out the 922r section on this board.

A Saiga shotgun threaded for chokes has 14 "import parts", ATF requirments: no more than 10 "import parts"

(parts on a factory config saiga are in bold)

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion (rifles only)

(5) Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

replacing the factory stock with a US made pistol grip stock would bring it down to 13 import parts. you still need to replace 3 more parts.

US made mags count as 3 more parts and you'd be legal until you put an imported magazine into the gun. if you want to be able to use factory mags, a US made fire control group would be another 3 parts, plus the trigger pull isn't spongy, and the gun has better balance with a pistol grip in the normal ak position.

I'm also in the boat with you in regards to converting without cutting off the tang. You can move the trigger guard forward and add a pistol grip without modifying anything on the weapon if you use a Tromix or Saigatech trigger guard. I am looking at doing the same thing and using a M4 style collapsible stock that will fit with the existing tang. This would keep the weapon balanced, shorter and still allow it to be reconfigured to the original monte carlo configuration without much work.

i have a tapco t6 ak stock. it mounts with the existing tang. if you're wanting to add a pistol grip to a collapsible stock, check out this guy's youtube video,

you'll still have to comply with 922r.

• 1 month later...

Do as you wish, and don't listen to the nay sayers, you noted that in your initial post, who gives a damn if these guys measure the size of your nuts by whether you convert the way they think you should, or not.

But, if you publicly choose to take the quick and easy way, expect more crap to be dumped on you by them, thats how it works here, for the most part.

I have the ACE folder on mine, its easy, its quick, and its just as quick to take off to restore the gun back to sporting configuration, in the event a non sporting Saiga becomes a no no. Functionally, it makes absolutely no difference, except in the minds of those who wish to believe that it does.

I do think the ACE folder would probably be a better choice for a 12 gauge, as it locks up tight, and its metal to metal, though that Tapco stock looks heavy enough to handle a 410 with no problems.

Again, bear in mind, that you need at least a US made gas piston and muzzle nut, and US made magazine, if you don't wish to modify any of the internals.

I want mine to be converted by Tromix but since they are not going to be accepting new orders for years, I just need to hang out. I'll prolly go with the RAA skeleton stock in the mean time. Anything is better than that thin, hollow, toy of a factory stock.

I own a converted s-12 and a unconverted 223. I can attest that the tromix trigger of the s-12 is far superior than the factory trigger on my .223. I also like the new balance of the s-12. It is YOUR choice though. The tromix conversion trigger guard really made the conversion easy.

Go on and convert it, man. It's super easy once you get past the apprehension. The Tromix trigger guard makes it that much easier. I put the external stock receiver block on mine, because I didn't want to cut the tang. It bolts right on, but I'm thinking about cutting the tang and using the internal block that I got from my group buy conversion kit.

Anyway, like has been noted, it's your gun, do what you want with it. You may be just as happy with the bolt on folding stock deal. Buy honestly, the conversion is no big deal. You'd be surprised.