Duplicolor question

I like heat, it's faster. It still takes some time for it to fully cure, but it dries much faster.

I usually get the gun hot first and then spray it on in very light coats, this results in more of a matte finish, if you are into that sort of thing. If duplicolor has a matte enamel I have never seen it so this is the cheat that gets me there.

I heat the gun in a light bulb oven that I made myself out of some steel ducting. It has three 150 watt bulbs controlled by a dimmer and it gets up around 300 deg. F. at full power. I usually keep it at 250 deg. or so for painting.

Thats what I do. I can't say that its better to use heat, but it does allow for a different result.

Good luck.

Edited by ArcFault
  • 1 month later...
If you apply Duplicolor to a new Saiga, do you need to strip it first? And how do you apply it? Is it for external parts only? Or do you need to disassemble the gun?

Are you painting the whole gun, or just a few parts? If you are painting the whole gun, I would at least field strip it (fully stripping it would be better), lightly scuff-sand (or you can media blast) the areas to be painted and fully clean and degrease them (something like denatured alcohol works pretty well), mask off the areas you don't want to paint, and paint. If you will be painting with a spray can, I recommend using a pistol grip adapter with a trigger for better control.

I would avoid painting most internal parts. I hope this helps you. Others here know a lot more about this topic than I do.

If you apply Duplicolor to a new Saiga, do you need to strip it first? And how do you apply it? Is it for external parts only? Or do you need to disassemble the gun?

Are you painting the whole gun, or just a few parts? If you are painting the whole gun, I would at least field strip it (fully stripping it would be better), lightly scuff-sand (or you can media blast) the areas to be painted and fully clean and degrease them (something like denatured alcohol works pretty well), mask off the areas you don't want to paint, and paint. If you will be painting with a spray can, I recommend using a pistol grip adapter with a trigger for better control.

I would avoid painting most internal parts. I hope this helps you. Others here know a lot more about this topic than I do.

I'd be painting the whole gun. Is there an online manual on how to field strip a Saiga?