Underfolding stock?

Can you put an underfolding stock on an S 12? What modifications would need to be made if you can?

Sure you could.

It would entail first demilling the old trunnion, then welding up the holes, smoothing the welds out, putting in the underfolder trunnion, drilling and cutting holes for the underfolder and then you assemble and rivet.

The hard part would be welding up the holes and smoothing them out and refinishing.

Edited by bobotech

Beware, the AK underfolder is second in line for "The Most Uncomfortable Stock Going" award right after the Romanian Wire side folder. In addition you won't be able to fold or unfold the stock with a magazine inserted in the S12. If it is just an aesthetics thing and you just want one, people have done both but it limits the usefulness of the firearm. The S-12 in my opinion is an evolutionary step forward in Shotguns. I would not hamper it by adding an uncomfortable butt stock. If ya want a cool folder that would be about as much work, go for the 74S side folder. It is Russian AND it's what they put on the 12C. Plus, it looks cooler.

Just my .02 cents.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Edited by IPSC_GUY
Beware, the AK underfolder is second in line for "The Most Uncomfortable Stock Going" award right after the Romanian Wire side folder. In addition you won't be able to fold or unfold the stock with a magazine inserted in the S12. If it is just an aesthetics thing and you just want one, people have done both but it limits the usefulness of the firearm. The S-12 in my opinion is an evolutionary step forward in Shotguns. I would not hamper it by adding an uncomfortable butt stock. If ya want a cool folder that would be about as much work, go for the 74S side folder. It is Russian AND it's what they put on the 12C. Plus, it looks cooler.

Just my .02 cents.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

+1 to the above.

If you must have a folder, an Ace side folding stock is another fine choice.

I never understood why people hate the comfort level of the underfolder? When I built my first AK, it was a yugo underfolder and I love that rifle and find it very comfortable to shoot.

Your yugo underfolder is firing an intermediate rifle cartridge (7.62 x 39mm) which has a recoil force of about 7 lbs. By comparison a 12 gauge round capable of cycling a Saiga 12 will have anywhere from about two and a half times to seven times as much recoil (around 17lbs of recoil for a 12 gauge low base 2-3/4 in. non-magnum load, to about 50 lbs of recoil for a 12 gauge 3 inch high base magnum load). There is just no way a Saiga 12 with an underfolder stock would be as comfortable to shoot as a 7.62 x 39 AK pattern rifle with an underfolder stock. Its your shotgun though, so if you want to put an underfolder stock on it, then go for it.

In case anyone wants to know where I got my recoil force numbers:

For shotguns:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

For rifles:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

There is also a handy ballistic and recoil calculator at:

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx

Edited by Frogfoot
  • Like 1

Most people think underfolders are uncomfortable because most of them lock up at an angle and are somewhat flimsy, both of which are terrible for recoil distribution. The stocks on Yugo M70s lock up straight and solid, thus feel much better. I have a '74 brake on mine which makes it that much better.

I think S12s really do generate too much recoil for an underfolder, though. An Ace or Tromix stock would be a much better (and less labor-intensive) option.

I did the Yugo UF on the wife's S-.410 and her AK. I would NEVER put one on an S-12. The UF is not capable of handling S-12 recoil.

My opinion, and opinions are like assholes......

BUT........

I HAVE built an S-.410 Yugo UF, and I think it's a major FU to do an S-12. You will have to cut the reciever off at an angle, and drill MASSIVE holes in it . When you realize what a FU it is, it will cost $$$$$$$$$$ and much begging to get Tony or another of our talanted 'smiths to undo the damage.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never seen an underfolder that did not eventually shoot into a loose rattletrap. It seems to me that this effect would be greatly accelerated by the recoil of a twelve gauge shotgun. Not to mention the whole thing about not being able to deploy it with a magazine in place. It would be a cool and unique mod, but in the end, you would just have a receiver that could only be used with a shaky, slow, uncomfortable underfolder. Go with an ACE. Their side folders are rock solid and bullet proof (IMHO).

Hey now I was just playing around with that to see if it would work...

Oh and you think I wouldn't of tried it once I figured out that polyblock? Ya just saved me from busting a stock and impaling myself with the stock arms thats all :smoke:

• 5 years later...