"Krinkov" sbr question

I'm thinking of buying either a "Krink" rifle or pistol soon. I'll probably eventually do the paperwork and convert to an sbr in the future. Would it be easier to convert a rifle (cut & recrown, rethread bbl if needed, possibly work on gas ports) or a pistol?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to drill and tap the backplate of a pistol and install an Ace folder mech & skeleton stock. Is there enough material there to do this? I know the pistols have all the buttstock attachment hardware removed or welded up so a stock can't be readily attached.

IOW, which end would be easist to work from?

If you get a Champion/Draco (.223 / 7.62x39 ) pistol from Century, it is childs play to pull the rear trunnion and add a standard rifle rear block to it after you get your tax stamp.

They are designed and manufactured as pistols ( short barrels ) in the first place, so no worries about cutting, crowning or proper gas port placement (or having your chrome flake out after cutting).

Nice example of the above

I'm looking at a couple of Arsenal rifles and a Vector Arms pistol on Gunbroker right now. The Arsenals are advertised as "sbr ready", but I've learned that they require gas port work.

There's another rifle on there by "Rising Sun Tactical" that looks like it would be an easy conversion. That fake suppressor looks oversize enough that there probably wouldn't be any function issues. Bit pricey, though. $1200.00 and reserve not met.

Edited by Gummerfan
I'm looking at a couple of Arsenal rifles and a Vector Arms pistol on Gunbroker right now. The Arsenals are advertised as "sbr ready", but I've learned that they require gas port work.

There's another rifle on there by "Rising Sun Tactical" that looks like it would be an easy conversion. That fake suppressor looks oversize enough that there probably wouldn't be any function issues. Bit pricey, though. $1200.00 and reserve not met.

Both the vector and "rising sun tactical" have been made with Romanian military barrels.

Vector is no longer in business to handle any warranty claims.

I've never heard of "Rising Sun Tactical".

The chrome lining of these 'cut barrel pistols' has been known to flake away.

IMHO, for best results, start with the Romanian pistols (or the Arsenals, if you have the superfluous cash)

Edit: To be honest, I think the "US made AK pistols" mostly look like crap. If you want the closest-to-an-actual-Krink SBR, start with an M92 kit, or a Champion pistol or the Arsenal (if you have lots of extra money). Starting with the Champion/Draco pistol would be the least expensive option.

Edited by nalioth