The Saiga-12, 8 & 10 round mags and the AWB...

I like most people here are counting the days until the AWB sunsets and allows us to accessorize our shotguns the way we used to be able to before that senseless law was signed.

I searched and studied the laws about semi-shotguns and the AWB and all the do's and don'ts right after I purchaed my Saiga. This shotgun has so much potential !

The only shotgun that even is close IMO is the USAS-12 or the SPAS-15 (both are semi-auto shotguns that take 10 round magazines or 20? round drums.

I would think that the Saiga is more reliable than either one of those shotguns.

I have no proof that shows these shotguns going head-to-head with the Saiga but you cannot knock the proven reliability of the Kalishnikov design which makes the Saiga a unique shotgun.

I have always wanted to own a USAS-12 but missed the boat and now they run around $3000 when you can find one.... more on this topic later.

The more I looked for a loop-hole for my Saiga, the more I realized the noose was even tighter.

I had to finally retire my dreams of a truely awesome tactical shotgun and play the waiting game for the AWB to sunrise...

During my adventure of discovering information I started putting pieces together and it has got me to thinking. We still might not be out of the woods once the AWB sunsets on Sept. 14, 2004.

Yeah, we will be able to put pistol grips and folding stocks on our shotguns but what has me worried is the magazine problem and possible future dilema.

Right now we law-biding citizens are forbidden from owning 8 or 10 round magazines....

I know those mag restrictions will go away as well when the AWB sunsets and we will be able to buy 8 and 10 round mags for our Saigas but WHO has them in stock for us to buy once the ban sunsets ?

I am sure EAA has plenty for the LEO clients.

Is EAA the sole importer of these shotguns and their accessories ? Does anyone know of ANY other importer that deals with these shotguns or does EAA have the business all to themselves ?

Here is where it gets tricky...

When the AWB sunsets we will be able to acessorize our Saiga to the point where they will rival the USAS-12 and the SPAS-15. A $259 shotgun that will rival shotguns that on todays market cost $3000+

Why do those shotguns cost SO much when an accessorized Saiga is just as good if not better and can be purchaed for under $300 ?!?!

Enter the BATFE

BAFTE ruled that the USAS-12 and SPAS-15 semi-shotguns were now considered Destructive Devices by the Bureau. ( semi-auto 12 gauge shotguns with the ability to use 10 round box magazines or 20 round drums).

The BATFE gave the owners of those shotguns a small amnesty period to register these shotguns.

Once the amnesty was over, if you owned one of these weapons and DID NOT register it then NOW it is considered contraban (wether or not you knew about it).

It is now illegal for you to possess, transfer or sell that shotgun. You are directed to turn the shotgun in to the BATFE so it can be demilled. i.e. destroyed

If you were one of the lucky ones that registered your shotgun with the BATFE your "tax" was waived since you already owned the shotgun.

BUT, if you later decide to sell this shotgun to another individual you would have to pay a $200 transfer tax to turn it over to a Destructive Device dealer who would in turn fill out the ATF paperwork to have it registered to the individual who bought the shotgun from you.

That individual would have to pay another $200 transfer tax to have it registered with the BATFE.

So if you were in the market for a USAS-12 you would have the expense of the weapon itself ( $3000 ) plus the $200 tax plus DD dealers dont do transfers for free so another $25 - $150 to cover their fee... some dont charge much some charge ALOT.

Now back to EAA...

EAA is sitting on large amounts of these Saiga shotguns all in crates located in warehouses in the US.

Believe me, EAA is sweating bullets already about the BATFE breathing down their necks about the Saiga shotgun. Thats the reason so much trouble went into moving the trigger farther back on the action and adding the "hunting" stock.

Im sure they jumped through hoops to show the BATFE that these are PC shotguns. "Mr. BATFE, a person cannot even put a pistol grip on it because the trigger is in the way."

Once everyone starts to restore their shotguns to the way they were meant to be the BATFE will raise an eyebrow.

They will want to classify the Saiga 12 guage as a Destructive Device and EAA will be sitting on thousands of $300 shotguns will also require a $200 transfer tax ( paid by the consumer NOT the importer ). Any person purchasing one of these 12 gauge shotguns will have to wait approx. 3 - 6 months for the paperwork to clear from the ATF.

EAA will be hurting if that happened and Im sure they would do about anything to make sure it does not happen.

What would happen if EAA decided that they would not sell any large-cap mags to civilains to appease the BATFE ?

We would still be stuck with the crappy 5-rounders !!

Yeah, a US company could start making hi-cap mags for the Saiga to circumvent EAA but would there be enough business to deal with all the hassle ?

Worse case scenario we are stuck with 5-round mags...

IF EAA was smart they would see that they have a superior product that would make anyone looking for a USAS-12 or SPAS-15 completely happy for around 1/10th of the price.

But I'm sure EAA won't see it that way though...

LB

Edited by USMC_LB

I thought I saw a tread some where, I'm not even for sure if its on these boads, a pic of a saiga with a converted USAS mag in it. Actualy it would probobly be fairly easy to join two five rounders together if you had acsess to the tools.

Edited by setlab

USMC_LB,

I respect your positive attitude that the AWB will sunset, and I hope that it will. I feel that congress will re-enact it with stronger restrictions. Dianne Feinstein willbe right there to push for more restrictions and being an election year, the Republicans will probably fade into the background so as to not lose votes. Here is an interesting arrticle called "China Gate" for those who have not seen it.

China_Gate.txt

You got 2 for sale, there already converted right? whats the capasity? Ya know what they say, if the price is right there sold. My email is damascus@voyager.net

Right now I belive there is a very good chance in congress not passing another ban after this one expires but I also think that if the democrats win this next election that we are all pretty mutch screwed. And I seriosly dought that gun control will be a widely campaigned issue when election time comes, the main reason is that the liberals lost control of congress after the passng of the ban to begin with so I knda dought they'll want to bring the issue of the sunset unless they want to lose votes. And the republcans I dought will bring up the sunset mutch either basicaly for the same reasons. So realy if Bush stays in ofice I'd say it would sunset, leaving us free to own our evil guns. But just in case I would hold off in buying those bolt actions and pumps for a while, mabe pick up a cheap preban too if the prce is right if I were you.

Edited by setlab
You got 2 for sale, there already converted right? whats the capasity?

No, they are not... I would not be selling them here to begin with if they were.... The conversion will have to be done by you if you want them...

2 original 10-round USAS-12 magazines - $70 shipped