922r is a federal issue, so it applies to all. As far as NY, we still have that damn AWB.

So that being said.....

1) No bayo-lug

2) No flash hiders (permanently attached brakes are legal)

3) No telescoping/collapsing stocks

4) All mags that hold more than 10 rounds must be pre-ban (very easy to come by with AK's)

........on a post-ban rifle. Which all Saigas are.

It's easy, because #1 and #2 don't even apply to factory Saigas because they don't have them. For mags, your best bet is East German mags, they are guaranteed pre-ban.

EDIT: Do check out the link above, for more info. I gave you the "cliff-notes" version, but it gets the point across :D .

Edited by 22_Shooter

I plan on moving back to NY in January. Long Island is actually where I bought my Saiga back in early 06. Oddly enough you are TriggerHappy"06" so I just wanted to wish you luck. Indy's writeup is very valuable and NYS is the only reason that my barrel is not threaded, lol.

i was harrassed on my saiga with the manufacturer stock! the police were called to my house because "their was a person with a high caliber rifle in the woods" i live in the backwoods of ulster county, i didnt see a problem apparently the police did, they said it was against the law to shoot within a half hour of sunset(false, i called them on that the next day), and when i they first came onto the property I heard radio chatter that said "suspect armed with an AK-47 and is considered dangerous" i have know idea how they even knew what kind of gun I had unless someone actually saw me enter the woods, but thats not the point I exited the woods with my gun in hand into my backyard they were waiting pistols in hand with lights. They told me to drop the weapon I complied, the next day I went down to the station and explained myself and wanted to file a complaint the Sergant immediatly emmerged and apoligized for the officers actions. Ever since that night every time I shoot the police show up, and question my Saiga on if its full auto and if it is legal. So I figure if I will be harrassed for it without a pistol grip it might as well have one! Sorry if I rambled but thats why I asked if there were any NYS laws against it.

i was harrassed on my saiga with the manufacturer stock! the police were called to my house because "their was a person with a high caliber rifle in the woods" i live in the backwoods of ulster county, i didnt see a problem apparently the police did, they said it was against the law to shoot within a half hour of sunset(false, i called them on that the next day), and when i they first came onto the property I heard radio chatter that said "suspect armed with an AK-47 and is considered dangerous" i have know idea how they even knew what kind of gun I had unless someone actually saw me enter the woods, but thats not the point I exited the woods with my gun in hand into my backyard they were waiting pistols in hand with lights. They told me to drop the weapon I complied, the next day I went down to the station and explained myself and wanted to file a complaint the Sergant immediatly emmerged and apoligized for the officers actions. Ever since that night every time I shoot the police show up, and question my Saiga on if its full auto and if it is legal. So I figure if I will be harrassed for it without a pistol grip it might as well have one! Sorry if I rambled but thats why I asked if there were any NYS laws against it.

Sorry to hear about your LEO's giving you such a hard time. Here in Texas LEO's and Civies support each other and even check each others guns out.

I have two LEO's as neighbors in my neighborhood ( 1 even parks his PC in our street = good for us) and I have shown my 9mm S&W, 40 Taurus and my newly converted Saiga and he was impressed that a computer nerd could hack a gun up so well.

Long Live The Republic Of Tejas (pulls revolvers and shoots into air) YEEHAWWWW

Edited by minter66
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey TriggerHappy,

They were likely responding to a call from a non-gun owning neighbor that was from NYC and freaked when they saw you with a rifle.

The only applicable law is that you can't shoot within 500ft of a dwelling unless you own/rent it or have written permission. And, of course, tresspassing if it was private land.

I am a few hours away in Schoharie County. When I was getting ready to move here from Alaska, I called the local NYSP barracks and asked to speak to the Sgt. on duty so I could ask him about gun laws. I said I was moving from Alaska to his region of NY. Then there was silence.......until I heard:

"Why the hell are you doing that!?!?!"

Shoulda cancelled my plans right there. :ded:

Mario

The only applicable law is that you can't shoot within 500ft of a dwelling unless you own/rent it or have written permission.

You sure about this one? I was under the impression you had to be 500ft away from a house/dwelling, regardless of who owns it.

The only applicable law is that you can't shoot within 500ft of a dwelling unless you own/rent it or have written permission.

You sure about this one? I was under the impression you had to be 500ft away from a house/dwelling, regardless of who owns it.

Discharge of Firearms and Bows

It is illegal to discharge a firearm or bow:

* so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,

* within 500 feet of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,

* within 500 feet of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent.

* You may hunt waterfowl, over water, within 500 feet of a dwelling or public structure as long as neither are within 500 feet in the direction you are shooting.

Discharge of Firearms and Bows

It is illegal to discharge a firearm or bow:

* so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,

* within 500 feet of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,

* within 500 feet of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent.

* You may hunt waterfowl, over water, within 500 feet of a dwelling or public structure as long as neither are within 500 feet in the direction you are shooting.

Wow, that's awesome, and opens up some opportunities for me. Thanks for the info, much appreciated :up: .

All this time, I thought it was 500ft from a dwelling/house, period.

Here is the link I forgrt to post before.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html

Yup, I found it right after I read your last post. Thanks.

My parents have a little land, with a huge steep hill that could be used as a backstop. I just never bothered to try shooting there, because I knew there was no way it was 500ft from the house to where I would shoot. Not that I could blast away for hours there, because they do have some elderly neighbors, but anything I order online, gets sent to their house (I don't live in the best part of town, and don't like packages sitting in the hallway), so it's nice to know that I could go right out back and test out gun related orders I get :D .

Having land within earshot of a gun range is also a nice thing. Your neighbors dont think twice.

Man I do feel for you NY'ers, Where I live I can walk over to my neighbor across the street. Set up on his porch and shoot over the pond and hit those O's on the Obama signs.

Lucky sumbitches <_< .

I forgot to mention...

That said land is fucking wetland so you need to watch your step! haha

I'd put up with that, to be able to shoot whenever I wanted :D .

I took my 9mm AR to my parents, and went through 1 magazine. Just to finally shoot it, I couldn't wait anymore.

My girlfriend, mom and sister were sitting on the porch, and I said "I'm just gonna shoot a couple rounds". When I was done, my mom gave me this look <_< , because she said she was counting, and she counted 32. :lol:

Makes me glad I live in Texas! Minter 66 was right about cops and civvies getting along.I live out in the sticks and and shoot whenever I want to. Funny thing though, there are two ranges within driving distance from the house and they are usually full. The sticks are slowly being urbanized.

In NY state... you only have to be FURTHER THAN 500 FEET from a house YOU DO NOT OWN or have PERMISSION TO SHOOT FROM!!!!

If there are NO OTHER houses within 500 feet, and you have permission from the landowner... you can shoot all you want!!!

I deer hunt right off my back porch! because I CAN!!! :up:

I have a 75 and 200 yard shooting range right off my back porch... BECAUSE I CAN! :up:

:smoke:

Maybe this spring... When I get the barbecue all set... I will supply the range... but the party will be a BYOB!!!!

( Bring your own BULLETS!!) ROFL!!!

That sounds like a kickass good time, 22 Shooter...

We can have a NY Saiga/shooting party! Might just be the ticket!!! :up: :up:

Maybe this spring... When I get the barbecue all set... I will supply the range... but the party will be a BYOB!!!!

( Bring your own BULLETS!!) ROFL!!!

That sounds like a kickass good time, 22 Shooter...

We can have a NY Saiga/shooting party! Might just be the ticket!!! :up: :up:

Indy,

This sounds like a great idea. I'll bring the sandwiches...

nyclu3