Move it, 6.5 Grendel. step aside, 6.8 SPC. Introducing the 6.5 MPC

so how is this any different than the 6x45 wildcat that already exists... and, they show it loaded with regular ammo, the military is "going green" so they are using tungsten/nylon ammo...???

The 6x45 uses a 6mm bullet.

The 6.5 MPC uses a 6.5mm bullet.

I thought this was interesting because it only takes a barrel change to use it.

No special mags (uses any .223/5.56 magazine).

No reduced round count in existing mags (round uses .223/5.56 cases).

I was thinking it'd make a good Saiga mod.

An actual reason to get the .223, convert it to 6.5x45 ;)

EDIT***

On second thought, no.

"MVs for the 120-grain "SMK" round are 2220 fps (12") and 2400 fps (20")"

Sooo basically a 7.62x39 (124gr at 2350 FPS)....

AMAZING that after 60 years, the ideal cartridge of the future is almost identical projectile weight and MV of the 7.62x39....

:lolol:

I think of rounds like the 6.5 MPC as Americanized 7.62x39's. None really stand out as being much better from the muzzle to 200 yards.

For over 60 years the 7.62x39 has lacked a US company to load it with a wide selection of bullets as well as better powder...

There is major potential for improvement there.

• Like 1

screw all three of them, use 6.5 swedish Mauser or 7mm Mauser. :up:

The point of 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC is to fit into a regular AR-15 platform. If you have no need to run an AR-15, there are plenty of other options. For a short action bolt rifle, you're probably better off with .260 Remington, .260 Creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua. An AR-10 will work with all of those, too :)

I don't mean to knock the poodle shooters, but if you want something bigger there are other platforms to consider.

Edited by aresv
  • 4 months later...

Or you could just shoot .308WM (7.62x51)!!!!!!! Really though new rounds always interest me. I vowed to never buy another AR unless I got something in 6.8SPC I'm really impressed with its ballistics on paper and low recoil for a pistol build.

Quick side note on the 6.5MPC, ONLY 200FPS loss in the removal of 8" of barrel!! now that is impressive.