That is one screwed up kid...and also why I get on my wife when she just runs and opens the door when somebody rings the doorbell.

It reminds of an event not too many months ago where my Dad, who is a judge and lives in an upscale neighborhood, noticed two individuals suspiciously casing the area around his home. About a half hour later he heard a loud knock on the door. He was busy and didn't bother answering the door immediately, but they knocked again a second time even louder, and then again a third time after a few more moments. Fortunately, he was on alert after spotting them earlier and had been out patrolling that day with the Coast Guard Auxiliary & was still in his BDUs, so he strapped on a 9mm and went to answer the door. He approached the door well within their view through the bay windows, and by the time he got there, they were half way down the walkway to the street and said "sorry mister, we have the wrong house." I have to wonder how the outcome would have gone if he was just "Joe homeowner" who didn't believe in keeping guns at the ready to protect his homestead.

You can't be too careful these days. There are some strange individuals walking around and the times of leaving your doors and windows unlocked are long gone.

You seriously carry while at home? I know many people who have chambered handguns in several places in their home. Carrying in your own home seems excessive.

How so? I go to answer the door and they push their way in while my weapon is in the B/R, office or wherever. I ask politely for them to wait? I place chambered weapons around my house and go shopping, come home to somebody in the house with MY gun AND the jump on me? I keep my pistol on me at all times unless I am in bed and then I have it at arms reach. To each their own I guess. :) It has only saved my bacon once in 30 years but that was enough to make a believer out of me.

You seriously carry while at home? I know many people who have chambered handguns in several places in their home. Carrying in your own home seems excessive.

How so? I go to answer the door and they push their way in while my weapon is in the B/R, office or wherever. I ask politely for them to wait? I place chambered weapons around my house and go shopping, come home to somebody in the house with MY gun AND the jump on me? I keep my pistol on me at all times unless I am in bed and then I have it at arms reach. To each their own I guess. :) It has only saved my bacon once in 30 years but that was enough to make a believer out of me.

+1 It's far more logical to have one chambered gun on you than it is to have chambered guns all over the house. It's not really a big deal, if you also carry outside of the house you get used to it.

It has only saved my bacon once in 30 years but that was enough to make a believer out of me.

It only takes one time to become a statistic. I don't carry all the time while at home, but I do have one when answering the door, working in the garage, doing garage sales, etc. Better to have one at the ready than 75ft away in another room when things go bad.

Even my wife, who is an avid animal rights activist and anything but a gun enthusiast, keeps my .40 on her when I'm away...yeah, I know, no need to remind me of the oil and water relationship there. And no, she didn't buy the story about how deer shed their antlers for the racks I have to keep in the garage.

Yes...........Seriously............Always armed. Everywhere. No exception.

.............then again, like 1911, I guess I'm just an excessive sort of a guy.............!!

.....or, it could be, I suppose, that my "measuring stick" of probability for random crazy-shit happening reads a little different than yours............... :smoke:

I agree with 1911. When you need a gun to defend yourself, you generally need it NOW. Having guns stashed around the house instead of having one on your person doesn't make much sense to me, especially if you have kids in the house. If you carry concealed at home, no one but you will even be likely to know you're armed. It isn't as though you're waving a gun around intimidating guests and frightening your family. It is prudent to have a gun within easy reach anytime you reasonably, and legally, can.

Not that I do not understand why, but it somewhat falls in line with "a pedo on every playground" and "a mugger in every alleyway." I guess everyone's limit to fearing the world and the worst is different. I'd say living in DFW might have something to do with it, but then I know a guy who carries at home in Coeur'd Alene, ID--has since his kids were small, left home and still does. I know if I lived in my birth place, El Paso, I probably would. Screw that place.

.....or, it could be, I suppose, that my "measuring stick" of probability for random crazy-shit happening reads a little different than yours............... :smoke:

Your tin foil is the good stuff. Extra thick.

Not every attacker has a history of heart problems.

"Col. Colt's revolver earned the nineteenth-century nickname "the equalizer" for good reason. As a weapon of self-defense, it ended the age of brawn and put clerks and school-teachers on a par with bruisers for the first time since ... well, ever. " I think that we all should evaluate our surroundings and make our decision. As the Boy Scout motto goes, Be Prepared. I choose to be prepared and you are free to make whatever choices you wish. Ain't America great?

I carry at home, at work, and everywhere in between, with the exception of the post office I'm never without a gun. The more I get to know the inmates I supervise, the more often I carry. Trust me, carry, carry often, carry everywhere, maybe carry 2.

I never used to carry around the house, but do now. Look up this link of a real event. This happened to a friend of mine where I live earlier this year. He was sitting down in his living room when they burst in. Luckily for him and his wife, he was carrying at the time. Old dude dropped 2 off them.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/6402333/detail.html

Scary stuff.

Actually, I'm allergic to tin foil........... I also have an innate aversion to rose-colored glasses.............

I'm just about finished with your armadillo helmet too!

.............and about time, too !!!! You promised it to me back in April !!! Did you hard-chrome the tail for me like I asked ??

And how about the remote-activated paint-ball gun that shoots out the eyes ???

Don't forget........you promised me it wouldn't have to have a reliability service done on it !!! We good ????

I always carry, even right now when I have just gotten back from a run and am in my bath robe. I have an old double barrel that stays hidden by the front door, of course I usually have my Glock 20 10mm with TLR2 on me. I also keep my body armor there, with rifle plates.

I have a loaded "Practical" AK in the bedroom, with a grab-an-run mag bag.

My Fiancée is also armed, with a Glock 22 40 S&W (Crimson Trace). She a ex-police officer, 14 years. She is very competent with all the home's defense tools.

We have practiced and we have "plans." There are other "surprises" that we have not discussed here.

Do I sound like an obsessively paranoid nut?

I live in a inner city hood of metro Atlanta. Home invasions are common here and often unreported. I have seen first hand the horror that these attacks leave behind. APD only rolls in here with a backup at night. I have had 3 people killed here in two years and several non-fatal shootings. Two of the murders were 38 yards from my reinforced front door. I had an armed robbery 20 yards away two weeks. "Why" I live here is complicated.

The people that live in this community know who and what I am. If they come for us, they will not come alone.

My fiancée and I are no POS animal's prey. I do not plan to look into my fiancée's eyes and tell her how sorry I am that I failed to protect her.

There is no need for Internet bravado, but if they come here, it is going get messy.

I used to carry at home..

maybe someday the State will let me carry again...

I'm rural but we've had our fair share of really weird shit and people around here...

i.e. wife beater parked in my front yard...

guy ran the state line to get away from ID State Police...

etc...

I had my pistol on me, and if I went out, my wife would have another pistol and my Saiga .223 on hand.

Edited by MD_Willington
I carry at home, at work, and everywhere in between, with the exception of the post office I'm never without a gun.

Yup, they don't do a lot of good if they're sitting in the safe when the bad guys confront you and I haven't heard of any do overs if it doesn't work out for you...

Edited by Glocker
Do I sound like an obsessively paranoid nut?

From what you described in the following paragraph, it's not paranoia if based on very probable and proximate events.

I used to carry at home..

maybe someday the State will let me carry again...

I'm rural but we've had our fair share of really weird shit and people around here...

i.e. wife beater parked in my front yard...

guy ran the state line to get away from ID State Police...

Clarkston? I worked down in Lewiston one summer two years ago. What a place. Glad I lived in Moscow.