How accurate is your 7.62x39 Saiga?

Mine is 16" barrel; manual says 104mm spread at 100m (3.9 MOA)

post-12715-1223016957_thumb.jpg

With the scope borrowed from PSL-54C

post-12715-1223017272_thumb.jpg

post-12715-1223017016_thumb.jpg

my best 5-shot group at 50 yards is a little bit worse than 1 inch

post-12715-1223017145_thumb.jpg

the second best group is almost twice as bad:

post-12715-1223017225_thumb.jpg

Looks like factory data is about right. I used Wolf HP "Military Classic" ammo, purchased at JGSales.

Whenever I get a new rifle, I completely de-grease and clean it, then run a few hundred rounds of factory ammo through it (with intermitten cleaning in between). After I slightly break it in, (500 or so rounds) I completely clean it again. Then I use match grade ammo or precise reloads to site it in, using the irons/scope. This way, I can usually blame the ammo itself (whatever ammo I use from there on out) for bad groupage. ( understanding that the tolerances are a bit less tighter than an AR, for example.)

I almost always have had the best results using this method when it comes to getting the most accuracy out of my rifles, namely my three aks.

• 3 weeks later...
The Wolf ammo might be a bigger reason for that larger group as opposed to your rifle. Its not known for its accuracy, it's known for being relatively cheap and going bang.

Whenever I get a new rifle, I completely de-grease and clean it...

Any chance you could provide some data for your rifle? Either a spread reported in manual or (better yet!) range results?

My toy is currently down due to "slower-than-expected" conversion process

post-12715-1224565908_thumb.jpg :smoke:

• 2 weeks later...
The Wolf ammo might be a bigger reason for that larger group as opposed to your rifle. Its not known for its accuracy, it's known for being relatively cheap and going bang.
Agreed, I thought it was a universal fact that FMJ's are better for the range. :031:

MP76

+1, I would try better ammo if you want to see what your toy can do.

• 6 months later...

7.62x39 converted Saiga: Silver Bear JHP: 4 shot cloverleaf (1/2 in) at 25 yards with 5th shot opened up to 3/4 inch vertical. Iron sights. Did not do paper at 100, but killed every pop can and dirt clod from 75 to 100 yards. Good enough for me. Golden tiger was not quite as good, and wolf was double.

7.62x39 guns with the usual bullet weights specified for this caliber are seriously overspun by that 1 in 10 twist barrel and will produce pretty lousy accuracy.The European IPSC shooters who run 7.62x39 are swearing by 150gr projectiles but in 308 a 1 in 10 twist barrel is 175gr bullet terrirtory.

7.62x39 rifles would probably benefit from a different twist somewhere between 1 in 12 to 1 in 14 for the light bullets they shoot.

My 7.62x39 Saiga is in the 3 inch range from a bench with an optic while my Saiga 308 made in the same factory with the same procedures will produce groups half that size under identical shooting conditions.

The manuals say x39 is 103 mm @ 100 m, and 223 is 93 mm @ 100 m. I do know that after conversions, with iron sights, both will make a beer can dance at fifty yards with every shot... good enough for me too! :)

Edited by unclejake

Whats that saying... Man/Zombie size target is 11x16 (torso) or something.. I forget..

3-5 inch group at 100 would be sufficient... We all would prefer 1 inch at 100 yards.. The rifles are made for DEPENDABILITY AND RELIABILITY..(oh and full-auto).

My old M/N is under 1 1/2" at 100 with a cheapy 2-7 scope. Good enough for me..

When I get mine in (anyday now...) I will post my pics of target with measurements..

My brother-in-law (poor NJ resident) has just got his and he likes it. I will try to measure how his groups (are) and report back findings.

Edited by YouWontHearItComing

Wonder how much of this supposed inaccuracy is really first shot-last shot issues? By that I mean, the first round from a magazine being chambered by hand and the last round being fired with no upward magazine pressure on the bolt/bolt carrier leading to "fliers" that expand the group.

The 5-shot groups I remember shooting with the Mini-14 often had three holes nearly touching with the other two a couple of inches away. Never took the time to determine where they came in the firing sequence. It would be easy enough to pin down.

The x39 certainly doesn't shoot like a 5 moa gun in the limited usage it's seen so far. They pretty much go where it's pointed. The .223 has yet to be fired. Would be fun to play with reloads and try to find a combination they like....but with the split case necks I got firing some old reloads in the x39, that probably won't happen.

I agree, though. MOZ (minute of zombie) is plenty good enough for what these guns are intended for. For driving tacks, I've got an old Remington 788 that'll shoot into 0.3" at 100 yd.

Bob

Edited by 555JM

My Certificate reads "Extreme spread of impact when firing four bullets at 100-m range." Accuracy of fire is 114mm. I have the 16"barrel. I agree with YouWontHearItComing and SOPMOD. The rifles are made for DEPENDABILITY AND RELIABILITY. Ammo does play a part also. I was shooting Monarch 123gr. FMJ today at 50 & 100yds. I shot 40 rounds today. I had four fliers at 100 yds. One high off target, one low and two to the left(one on paper & one at edge of target). I would say 114mm is about right at 100 yds.

100yds.

post-15618-1243290134_thumb.jpg

50yds. all on paper no fliers. Nice groups are a bonus.

post-15618-1243290389_thumb.jpg

I was shooting 4 shot groups with stock trigger from factory. The Saiga is not a target rifle. It will hit what you point at and that is all I want it to do.

Finally dug out my factory certificate. It says 81 mm at 100 meters. That's about 3+ inch with iron sights and the Saiga's Rube Goldberg factory trigger linkage. The 1/2" 4 shot cloverleaf group (even with the 5th shot that opened it to 3/4") at 25 yards seems about right with PG and excellent Tapco G2 FCG.

Edited by imarangemaster

I have an 08 skeleton stock. My certificate reads: "Extreme spread of impacts when firing four bullets at 100-m range (accuracy of fire) is 138 mm." Finally got to the range last Friday, my friend brought his CAI WASR 10. We went thru a couple hundred or so rounds. Started out on the bench...stepped off ~75yds to target....this was the only one not in use. Using Wolf 122gr HP & 124gr Mil Classic...my Saiga did about 4inches for about 10 rounds then started slowly stringing diagonally up and right...barrel was definately heating up. But I'm not much of a bench shooter. My buddies Romo did about 5-6 inches then started stringing up diagonally left and up???

• 3 weeks later...

In this thread, Sounds to me like 3 to 5 MOA performance is pretty normal. Does anybody have any better results or input with a Ruger Mini- 30?

The reason I ask is not to stir schitz, I'm looking to buy one or the other, (Saiga/Ruger) more than likely, both. The Mini 30's I'm finding around here are in the $600-$800 range, the Saiga's are half of that. I 'm trying to buy the most accurate one first. Reliability, in my experience, is about the same. Comments?

BTW, I have a custom XP-100, in 7.62 X 39 that shoots my hand loads to .7 MOA and Wolf to 1.2 MOA. I believe the cartridge is inherently accurate, I'm just looking for the best accuracy from a semi auto rifle. As usual, all comments (smartazz and otherwise) are cordially invited. Thanks, Paul.

OK, Im gonna say this once, you can believe me or choose not to. Last summer I took my saiga out for a bit of long range testing. I had my brother stand 600 yards down range with a 2 way radio. Upon my instruction, my brother threw a indian head penny high into the air. Using only iron sights I managed to hit the penny not once but TWICE before it hit the ground! Don't believe me? Well I took a video to prove it: HERE

OK, Im gonna say this once, you can believe me or choose not to. Last summer I took my saiga out for a bit of long range testing. I had my brother stand 600 yards down range with a 2 way radio. Upon my instruction, my brother threw a indian head penny high into the air. Using only iron sights I managed to hit the penny not once but TWICE before it hit the ground! Don't believe me? Well I took a video to prove it: HERE

Dude, you are so BAAAAADDDDD! Hahahaha! :haha: I was expecting one of those moron You Tube videos like the guy being "Tacticool" with his Tantal, running and firing, repeated failures to feed, terrible immediate action drills (or he he thought were passing for them) , strong hand elbow flopping around while he is firing, and standing in a turret isosceles stance (instead of bladed to project less frontal (target) area to the opposition), in the open in the supposed "combat course" with a large tree offering cover and concealment only three feet to his left. I laughed so hard at that moron armchair commando I almost wet my pants! His video was a veritable "What NOT to do" video. Eve someone who was a cook in the Army would have had more training and savvy than this guy!