How tight of a fit is the gas puck supposed to have? My stock puck can slide back and forth very easily, but the Chaos puck is an incredibly tight fit. As in, I can barely get it past the threads by hand, but I have to use a dowel to get it in any further. It will go all the way to the back like the stock puck, but to move it forward or backward requires a dowel with a bit of force. Is this normal? Should I put it back in and just shoot the hell out of it to break it in? I cleaned the gas system out pretty good, so I don't think fouling is causing the super tight fit.

I also have Cameron"s gas puck, and mine was real tight also. It wouldn't even go past the threads. So I pulled out some 220 grit sandpaper and gently smoothed out the puck all the way around. Every few rounds I placed the puck into the gas chamber till it fit, it moves freely now but still within tolerances.

My issue now is fitting the rail to my gun, the supplied socket head bolt will not thread into my front grip hole, if anyone has a solution, please let me know. Other than replacing it with a new bolt, which I haven't had time to search out. I was considering retaping it to the bolt, but I haven't done this to any thing in years, and don't want to buy 100 dollar tap set just for one tap.

I'll figure it out eventually, but maybe somebody can give a suggestion. Huzzah!

I also have Cameron"s gas puck, and mine was real tight also. It wouldn't even go past the threads. So I pulled out some 220 grit sandpaper and gently smoothed out the puck all the way around. Every few rounds I placed the puck into the gas chamber till it fit, it moves freely now but still within tolerances.

My issue now is fitting the rail to my gun, the supplied socket head bolt will not thread into my front grip hole, if anyone has a solution, please let me know. Other than replacing it with a new bolt, which I haven't had time to search out. I was considering retaping it to the bolt, but I haven't done this to any thing in years, and don't want to buy 100 dollar tap set just for one tap.

I'll figure it out eventually, but maybe somebody can give a suggestion. Huzzah!

Have you tried to install the bolt by itself? Could it be an alignment issue with the rail? I don't have a rail yet so I am not sure how the rail mounts. If the rear of the rail slides into the front of the reciever where the factory handguard did, is it properly seated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, I still haven't sent it to Cameron, but I don't think I will. I'll try to mess with it myself, but I just haven't had any time with work and family fun.

I have a new batch getting ready to goto chrome, they are 0.824 so you wouldn't have to polish any off for tighter bores. If you can hold out a couple more weeks I'll send you another, free of charge!

I have a new batch getting ready to goto chrome, they are 0.824 so you wouldn't have to polish any off for tighter bores. If you can hold out a couple more weeks I'll send you another, free of charge!

Cameron, you rock. But... I already sanded mine down and it fits just fine now. I finally found 10 minutes to remember to do it and it slides back and forth no problem now. So, looks like I'm good to go.

Thanks for being a stand up guy!

Cameron, you rock. But... I already sanded mine down and it fits just fine now. I finally found 10 minutes to remember to do it and it slides back and forth no problem now. So, looks like I'm good to go.

Thanks for being a stand up guy!

Glad to here it and thanks for the kind words. :super:

• 2 weeks later...
WHAT DOSE THE GAS PUCK DO? AND WHY DO I NEED ONE?

It pushes back the gas piston and you need a USA made one to add to your USA MADE parts count for 922r compliance if you have modified your Saiga in an "evil" way. :) And I just ordered one from him for that very reason.

Edited by russianblood
I FOUND WHAT I NEEDED THANKS. http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance FOR THOSE "NEWBIES" LIKE ME. THIS IS SOME REALLY HELPFUL INFO.

+1 also a great link. I had never seen that one before.

Edited by MCASgt New River
  • 1 month later...
Well, I still haven't sent it to Cameron, but I don't think I will. I'll try to mess with it myself, but I just haven't had any time with work and family fun.

I'm an old chrome plater myself...

If you have .824 OD now and are shooting for .826 that is only .001" per side - that's not much as far as chrome is concerned. Especially since this is stainless and as such they are likely to want to give it a quick nickel flash first (AKA Wood's nickel strike). One thou of chrome will hold up just fine, but it can be hard for the plater to hit it reliably.

I'm not trying to tell you how to handle your business or anything, but you may wish to consider going to a pre-plate OD of .822-ish and then maybe have the chrome plater go to .8255-.8260 post-plate OD.

Alternately, you could open up the pre-plate tolerance (maybe .818-.823) and just chrome the urine out of it and then grind back to whatever OD you want. That's the old-school way.

Just some thoughts - tryin' to help.

And yes - I will be purchasing one of these gas pucks very soon.