Scope for my Saiga

Hello all,

I took my Saiga 308 to the gun range today and it did great from 50 yards out. I'm thining about getting a scope and since I'm new at this, can someone suggest to me what kind of scope to get (I'm planning on going deer hunting with it). I don't have a lot but maybe something aroudn $75-125. Also, can you tell me what kind of rings to go with it. Is there a vendor on board that sells this?

Any help will be appreciative.

Thank you,

Joe

Hello all,

I took my Saiga 308 to the gun range today and it did great from 50 yards out. I'm thining about getting a scope and since I'm new at this, can someone suggest to me what kind of scope to get (I'm planning on going deer hunting with it). I don't have a lot but maybe something aroudn $75-125. Also, can you tell me what kind of rings to go with it. Is there a vendor on board that sells this?

Thank you,

Joe

Save some money and get something in 250-350$ range. you get what you paying for.

You can get Russian scope for 140-200$.POSP 8x42 VD in the picture.

post-7628-1223091729_thumb.jpg

post-7628-1223091764_thumb.jpg

Edited by atakacorp

Thank you.

Atakacorp, where can I pick up something like that at?

I guess if I'm going all out, might as well convert. I know the conversion is waaaaaaaay out of my league. I know getting into something like that will be a disaster. To get it converted, should I go to a gun shop, or where?

Thanks again.

Thank you.

Atakacorp, where can I pick up something like that at?

I guess if I'm going all out, might as well convert. I know the conversion is waaaaaaaay out of my league. I know getting into something like that will be a disaster. To get it converted, should I go to a gun shop, or where?

Thanks again.

try this cite http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/posp8x42vd.html. Delivery takes some times ,because they in Belorussia. I recently purchased Jager scope its German greate scope and I got it from e-bay for 87$ + 40 delivery . Check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Jaeger-Illumi...tem120307848032.

dont pay more then 90$

For conversion , check Dinzag,he'll help you out . Muzzle brake,Upper and lower hand guard you can convert with simple tools,Dinzag has step by step instructions.

post-7628-1223094940_thumb.jpg

Edited by atakacorp

I believe the original russian PSO scopes are a good value (typically a bit cheaper than the POSP, and glass is as good or better). Just make sure you're getting the russian made glass. Another good option is one of the IOR manufactured scopes if you can find one, though finding one with an AK mount is pretty tough these days.

A conversion isn't really a huge undertaking. The best way to ensure success is to get a digital camera and take lots of "before pics" so you can see how everything lines up. If you get in a jam, lots of people here will help you out. In the end, you'll be much happier with your rifle.

You need US made replacement parts. A replacement trigger group (3parts), rear stock(1part), and PG(1part). You need to have a certain number of US made parts so the total number of listed foreign parts does not exceed a certain total. Look at posts regarding parts counts (some are stickies). Other commonly replaced US parts are the gas tube, and with more effort the handguards (these two mods shouldn't be necessary for a plain vanilla conversion).

As far as cost goes, figure about $135 or so. Then you'll want some hicap mags, and those run about $50 apiece.

I used my 308 to deer hunt for three years when i first bought it i didnt want to sink money in it either but parts and such were not being made yet for them either and i actually bought a ak scope mount with rings built in. And the first scope i used on it was a fixed power black powder scope and it worked great i had maybe50 bucks in total setup worked great until i had time and money to start upgrading

• 1 month later...
Hello all,

Thank you,

Joe

Here's some good options in the following link:

http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstpso.html

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=55

I got the 1P21 from Kalinka that's shown on the end of the Tantal webpage above, it's got an attached laser sight that uses the same battery as the illuminated reticle, sweet sniper scope, super clear optics.