Why is bump firning the drum so hard?

Went to my local range last night. I brought along a bunch of Gun Club cheap ammo and my drum. The gun did have a few issues cycling but overall it worked well. I tried position 1 on the gas thingybut that made it cycle really poorly.

Anyway, every time I tried to bumpfire the gun, all it did was jam as soon as the gun cycled. Well more of a failure to eject than anything else.

What am I doing wrong/

It was just annoying the piss out of me though. I can bump fire my 5 round mags no problem. I haven't tried my 10 rounders but I was all set to bump the 20 round drum and nothing. :(

I wonder if I just need to use heavy hotter loads.

I have a 2 or 3 12's that don't want to bumpfire. I have never tried a stick mag in them and will give it a shot ( most the guns I have now haven't had a stick in them since they left the factory). I never bumpfired anything before I started testing the first sample drums off the molds. I knew I was going to be firing a lot of rounds and needed to cut the trigger time down as much as possible. I just assumed it was the lost support on the gun accompanied by a gun that was getting less gas and never thought to try a stick in them. The drum may be adding an extra factor in the equation with the pressure against the bolt. You might could try polishing the hammer and the bolt up a little to give it a nice slick surface. I will give this a try as well on one. I bet it will clean it up and only take 10 minutes to polish with a dremel. I'll post my results.

You might have a point. I bumped my saiga only before I did the conversion. I haven't bumped it until yesterday with the modified G2 trigger group. I didn't polish up anything so I might give that a shot too.

I can bump any of my other guns so its annoying that I can't with the drum. It just fails to eject the round.

I dug out a couple 12's that didn't want to bump fire some of the low brass stuff. On one I polishied up the bolt and other places, there was no difference and it still failed to eject when bump firing.

So then I dropped the spring tension on the drum from 3 revolutions empty down to 2 revolutions empty. And they ran like a scalded dog. Give that a try and I beat you can bumpfire just fine.

I'm not sure what the differences is in the guns that will bump the low brass on a higher spring tension. I don't have the time to really explore it either right now. I am guessing it is a gas thing though. Almost has to be since the polishing didn't help.

Please give it a try again and let me know your results.

I dug out a couple 12's that didn't want to bump fire some of the low brass stuff. On one I polishied up the bolt and other places, there was no difference and it still failed to eject when bump firing.

So then I dropped the spring tension on the drum from 3 revolutions empty down to 2 revolutions empty. And they ran like a scalded dog. Give that a try and I beat you can bumpfire just fine.

I'm not sure what the differences is in the guns that will bump the low brass on a higher spring tension. I don't have the time to really explore it either right now. I am guessing it is a gas thing though. Almost has to be since the polishing didn't help.

Will do.

I did polish up my FCG espeically the hammer and the bottom of the bolt. Brought it to my indoor range (no bumping there) yesterday and the drum ate up all my ammo quicker than lightening. No failure to feeds or anything.

I can't try bumping til this weekend.

I will explore the drum's spring tensions though.

Will do.

I did polish up my FCG espeically the hammer and the bottom of the bolt. Brought it to my indoor range (no bumping there) yesterday and the drum ate up all my ammo quicker than lightening. No failure to feeds or anything.

I can't try bumping til this weekend.

I will explore the drum's spring tensions though.

Sounds good. The guns I had that wouldn't bump still fired from the hip fine if I wasn't bumping, I guess because it was better supported. I'm very comfortable in saying dropping the spring tension will let you spray one empty in about 2 seconds or so! Take plenty of ammo!!!!

Sounds good. The guns I had that wouldn't bump still fired from the hip fine if I wasn't bumping, I guess because it was better supported. I'm very comfortable in saying dropping the spring tension will let you spray one empty in about 2 seconds or so! Take plenty of ammo!!!!

You know, ever since I got your drum (from Atlantic Firearms), I haven't had the urge to really shoot any of my other guns.

Hell I dont even hold any of my other guns since I got a converted S 12 and a MD20 drum.

I could almost, and I say almost sell off the rest of them and still be happy.

Of course I would have to take the money and buy more shotty ammo with it ;)

Hell I dont even hold any of my other guns since I got a converted S 12 and a MD20 drum.

I could almost, and I say almost sell off the rest of them and still be happy.

Of course I would have to take the money and buy more shotty ammo with it ;)

Quite an accolade. Congrats Mike.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys.

I'm really looking forward to getting my drum soon. I'm going to do a full dump using my rapid firing technique. Bobotech, if you can't bumpfire the MD20 for some reason, consider trying my technique. It doesn't utilize the weapon's recoil and can be done shouldered.

Congrats on making such a cool item Mike! I'll probably need to take out a loan for all the ammo I'm going to go through. LOL

Corbin

Hi guys.

I'm really looking forward to getting my drum soon. I'm going to do a full dump using my rapid firing technique. Bobotech, if you can't bumpfire the MD20 for some reason, consider trying my technique. It doesn't utilize the weapon's recoil and can be done shouldered.

Congrats on making such a cool item Mike! I'll probably need to take out a loan for all the ammo I'm going to go through. LOL

Corbin

I use this technique too...I call it Rattle Snake Finger!!!! works real well with my aes10-b and 100 round drum...no muzzle climb.

Rattle snake finger. Sounds appropriate. I've heard it called finger banging too. I don't have a name for it yet, though I probably should call it something, I suppose. It works great with many semi autos. I'll eventually do a video of me shooting several different firearms using it.

I'm really looking forward to getting the drum and trying it out rapid fire. I'm still up in the air if I should get the gas plug though. Oh well, different topic for a different thread.

Corbin

I use this technique too...I call it Rattle Snake Finger!!!! works real well with my aes10-b and 100 round drum...no muzzle climb.