Hello

May not matter much to anybody, but I've had a couple of LCP's backordered from Impact Arms since June. They've only seen a dozen or so cross their counters since then, but I was informed this morning that Ruger is ramping up production of them on a new or revamped assembly line. Impact thinks they will have all of their backorders filled within a few weeks, and have LCP's available for new-order delivery at that time.

Just FYI.....

guido2 in Houston

I ordered one from TGS on May 5th and received it in mid-July. Not much power but for a backup or when you have to wear slacks with shirt tail tucked it will do. Mine is reliable and cosiderably lighter than my PPK. I think you'll enjoy it.

Hello, 1911

I reckon mine will mostly be replacing our Kel-Tec P3-AT's. Nothing against 'em, but the Rugers look better made.

Gets back to the "A .380 in the hand is better than a .45 in the desk" mentality....Although, I would imagine the times you don't have ready access to a 1911 would be few and far-between....

The Kel-Tec is a handy motorbike pistol, though. The integral pants/belt clip works well for a S.O.B. carry (left-hand clip for a right-hand draw) which seems like the safest place to carry on a bike.

guido2 in Houston

I had a P3AT. I was in the gunshop one day looking over a LCP...

Long story short, I traded in my Kel Tec towards a S&W 442 38sp and left the LCP in the case. After my horrible experience with FTF and FTE from the Kel Tec I felt a negative bias towards the LCP and decided to stick with "tried and true" But, it sounds like Ruger really came through on this one!!!!

I'm actually more interested in the 327 than the new 380. Somehow I think I'd feel safer with six rounds of 38+P power on my belly, then 7 rounds of 380 deep in a cargo pocket. The 327 will probably be shot lived, but I do like the concept.

Having compared the LCP and P3at side by side and stripped them both down next to each other, I gotta say that Ruger has copied the kel tec so closely that they ought to be wary of calling anything about the LCP "ruger engineering".

The ruger appears to be made of better materials with a higher degree of fit and finish, but they are just so very close to each other that I'm hard pressed to see why I'd sell a functional P3at at a loss to buy a ruger. My p3at is the only semi reliable kel tec product I've ever owned. 400 clams (after tax etc) is a lot to spend on a one season pistol when I've already got one exactly like it, and ruger has had it's share of problems lately (with mixed results from their customer service).

After reading up on some things about the ruger and the firing system in particular, i don't think i'll be snagging one, i was gonna throw one on lay-away as a jogging gun or something but the gun just doesn't seem safe, especially the part in the manual that the gun will fire if dropped or jolted and you should NOT carry the gun cocked.

Edited by Vultite
  • 4 weeks later...

Got to see an LCP at the range not long ago, and yeah, my first impression was that it was a KelTec clone. After hearing about the recall, I think you're better off with the real thing: a KelTec.

I hate to bash on Ruger too much though, having grown up shooting some of their fine firearms. In this day and age of Ruger quality control though, I follow the "R" rule for Rugers: if it ain't a Revolver or a Rimfire, Run away.

Nice thing about the recall is that they send you a pre-paid box to send it back in: then they give you a few other upgrades they have since come up with & then they throw in an extra magazine with finger extension for your trouble. The recall was due to a case of if you drop it in Kalifonia it night go off. I have no worries, continue to use as back up, back up, gun. Yep, two others before I'm outta ammo, spare mags and down to it. But I like it anyway. Not bragging, not advertising, not suggesting you get one. Just giving MO. :)

Hello

Haven't shot my Ruger(s) yet (well, one is for my lethal wife's birthday..) but visually I'm surprised Kel-Tec isn't crying "foul!"

Pretty much the spittin' image of each other, I'd say.

I don't intend to replace the Kel-Tec's. Just "in addition" to.

I have a hard time actually parting with a firearm once I have possession of it. Maybe I have some slight emotional imbalance or something....

I don't see any mounting point on the Ruger for the way cool spring-steel clip that I like on the Kel-Tec for SOB carry, so the Kel-Tec will keep that position.

I do note that the magazine is a bit more firmly latched into the Ruger than the Kel-Tec, I've had it come out in my pocket before accidentally.

I like the feel of the new Ruger, look forward to popping off a few.....

guido2 in Houston