Saiga 5.45x39 & 7.62x54r :)

hello everyone

I have good news! i called RAA (Russian American Armory" this morning and the person who answer the phone seems very professional so i ask him if there would be any chance that we can see those (5.45x39 & 7.62x54R) saigas in the US any time soon. He told me that they're under a contract for this year, some of the weapons are in backorder (regular Saigas) so there is no way he can get something different at this time, but here's the good news He told me that they've inquire about them and that we may see one or both (i hope they get both) saigas in the US "sometime next year" the person also said that it would be good to have something "different" and mention a Saiga 30-06, i'm not sure if he was talking about the saiga 100 or something alse, but one things is for sure, i'll be buying one or both as soon as they have it available.

UPDATE: 10/08/2008

I just got this email from RAA and it's nice to share it with you all.

Hi Sarduy,

We plan to bring in the 545X39 next year if everything goes right. We have the paperwork approved and are waiting on the factory to say when they will start shipping. The 762X54r is something I plan on asking for again in the future. We have asked before for it and the factory has said no so we will try again.

Sales & Marketing

RAAC

...We plan to bring in the 545X39 next year if everything goes right.

...The 762X54r is something I plan on asking for again in the future. We have asked before for it and the factory has said no so we will try again.

[scratching his head] What's the point of "hunting carbine" in 5.45 caliber? 7.62X54 is much better (IMHO) since Vepr'/SVD are now virtually non-existent and PSL-54C is quite pricey ;-)

Sounds awesome. I don't know anything about 5.45x39 though. 7.62x54 would be cool, but isn't that basically a NATO .308?

Either way, if they do come, I will snatch one up, but I am not holding my breath. I am not expecting a semi-auto, let alone an AK receiver, to be a possibility next year after elections.

Sounds awesome. I don't know anything about 5.45x39 though. 7.62x54 would be cool, but isn't that basically a NATO .308?

Either way, if they do come, I will snatch one up, but I am not holding my breath. I am not expecting a semi-auto, let alone an AK receiver, to be a possibility next year after elections.

7.62x54r & 7.62 NATO(not exactly the same as .308) are all different rounds. I'm guessing the big attraction to the round is that, from looking at gun-deals.com, the cheapest 54r is 20c while the cheapest .308 is 39c. Pretty big price difference.

This link has ballistic info on 308:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

heres 54R

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=310

As for 5.45 its cheap and has less recoil than 7.62x39. Don't see any other pros to it. Ruskies changed to the lighter round because they wanted to stick with the "if it tumbles it does more damage" theory rather than good JSP rounds. When in reality thats a bad choice: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=310 (same link)

5.45 is easily found but I don't know if any "self defense" ammo. Its all the plinking FMJs. 7.62x39 has a few JSP sources. Winchester super x, new wolf SP.

Edited by jamesavery22

5.45 is a superior flesh killer; what it is , a lead bullet, in the core, a short steel rod, then a blank space, then lead , just a bit, in the top cap, followed by hollow point or soft tip. so when it penetrates, the front of the bullet crushes down, and curves a bit, to spill through flesh like a wheat sickle blade. then , when it hits dsomething hard, the tip mushes down, the steel core piece comes slamming through the empty space, into the front of the bullet, where it blows the front of the bullet into pieces, when it slams into the rear of it.

Nasty!!!! from point blank range , out to about 500 yds, this round has about a 30% higher human/animal lethality rate, than the 762.39 ammo.

However, you lose all the hard stuff penetration you get from the 762 round.

• 7 months later...
hello everyone

I have good news! i called RAA (Russian American Armory" this morning and the person who answer the phone seems very professional so i ask him if there would be any chance that we can see those (5.45x39 & 7.62x54R) saigas in the US any time soon. He told me that they're under a contract for this year, some of the weapons are in backorder (regular Saigas) so there is no way he can get something different at this time, but here's the good news He told me that they've inquire about them and that we may see one or both (i hope they get both) saigas in the US "sometime next year" the person also said that it would be good to have something "different" and mention a Saiga 30-06, i'm not sure if he was talking about the saiga 100 or something alse, but one things is for sure, i'll be buying one or both as soon as they have it available.

UPDATE: 10/08/2008

I just got this email from RAA and it's nice to share it with you all.

Hi Sarduy,

We plan to bring in the 545X39 next year if everything goes right. We have the paperwork approved and are waiting on the factory to say when they will start shipping. The 762X54r is something I plan on asking for again in the future. We have asked before for it and the factory has said no so we will try again.

Sales & Marketing

RAAC

lets keep this post on top to keep it fresh in all our minds!