3 gun rules and courses

Is there a resource I can look at to obtain national rules and regulations for a two or three guns matches and courses? And possibly a resource for suggestions on course set up?

I finally have my local range owner convinced to have more than "bays" so we can shoot at paper. He was looking for a way to bring more people to the range and seeing there are no open to the public "tactical offerings" in my area, I told him that he should start with a three gun course.

I also suggested a live fire house. I think this would be a great way to train the everyday person on how to properly go through their house if they hear a "bump in the night." After all that's what LE does.

Thanks

Edit: I should add, I have searched on the net for rules. It seems there are several sanctions that have their owns rules, but I am looking for the baseline set of rules. Additionally, I am looking for some course layout suggestions to take to the owner of the range.

Edited by hallboss

One of the problems with 3-gun (or multigun, there is a difference) is that there are no "overall" rules. USPSA has their own rules, and then most of the "stand alone" matches claim to use the International Multi Gun Rules...but then tweak them a bit to suit their own preferences.

Here is a link to what I consider typical of the IMG rules, at one of the better matches in the country:

http://www.smm3gun.com/IMA%20Rules%20December-29-2006.pdf

That should be a good place to start :)

Alex

at our club way back when we first started 3 gun we went with ipsc rules..they were mostly for handgun and we adapted them to 3 gun.. thee used to be diagrams on ipsc course layouts. and we used the lalyout for the national postal match for 3 gun... you might look up individual clubs and try to contact their people that run matches to see if any have some course alyouts.. alot of our coursed we actualy made ourselves taking into consideration safety and terrain layout.. our first priority will all of them was safety,, keeping bullets on the range property was paramount.. remember one thing if ou are going to use steel get enough distance for them , rifle bulets will go throughpepper poppers if not the right steel.. found that out through trial and error.even out at 400 and 500 yards. if i can find any of our old coures i will see if i can get them too you

www.uspsa.com look under rules tab on left side, alot of big major 3 gun matches use uspsa rules , I know at least 3 of us on here shoot at circleville 3-gun under those rules

I checked the links you guys gave me and got some great information on the rules. I saw that most events are divided into open and tactical groupings and am still looking for what, if anything other than optics makes a gun "tactical."

Also, I am still looking for some course layout suggestions and ideas. Not necc. a schematic of a course, just more or less...enter station one through doorway, engage threat targets. Failure drill on those with a tac reload, then move to next station, pick up rifle and engage knockdown target....etc.

Edited by hallboss

Also, I am still looking for some course layout suggestions and ideas. Not necc. a schematic of a course, just more or less...enter station one through doorway, engage threat targets. Failure drill on those with a tac reload, then move to next station, pick up rifle and engage knockdown target....etc.

If you check the Enos forum they have some layouts.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=109