I just started my conversion and unfortunetly I have come to a stand still, as I forgot to order the pistol grip nut. However I was thinking, is it necesarry to actually cut the pistol grip hole and order that nut? As an alternative has anyone tried just drilling a hole large enough for the screw to fit through and holding it in place with a lock nut and fender washer inside the receiver? I can't think of why that wouldn't work unless it would interfere with the moving parts inside once reassembly is complete. Also, if cutting that pistol grip hole is necesarry what is the best way to go about making the opening? I have heard of people cutting one large hole in the middle and filing away the excess and other people cutting five holes one in the center and one at each of the four corners and having to file away a little less? Which method have you had the best sucess with?

I know that Rocinante successfully used a carriage bolt in place of a AK pistol grip nut on his Saiga Rifle build. This is using a the Tapco SAW grip. I believe that he got the method from Cobra. You might make inquires of one of those two members if you need details.

Me? I used a replacement Trigger guard.

The problem is that the PG screw goes through the receiver at an angle, so a screw head or nut and washer won't sit right inside. The PG nut is cut to sit at this angle. More than likely, Cobra modified the carraige bolt somehow. I think he bent it right at the head. This would work, or the head could be filed on two sides to make it sit at an angle.

I just recently did a conversion where I welded a piece of about 1/2" square stock to the bottom of the receiver and then drilled and tapped the screw hole at the angle. It doesn't have to be exact, I used the PG itself to get the angle. It worked fine, and was pretty quick and easy. Also, you can use English threads and screw with this method if you don't have a 6x1mm tap.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like the extreme angle for the carriage bolt going through the existing / old trigger hole so I cut a new square one where I wanted and the base of the carriage bolt fits snug in. Also I am using an internal ace block so I had to cut off the sides of the carriage bolt head to fit in it. It is solid I tell you SOLID!!

• 2 months later...

I just did mine last week with a carriage bolt and washer. I didn't have an issue with the angle, as it went in place and tightened just fine. I did have an issue with the height of the bolt head and washer, but I grinded them down to fit just out of the way of the spring holding rod. (yeah, I'm sure that's not the correct term)

I would have liked to just use the carriage bolt, but the head that would allow me to not need a washer had a thread size too thick to go through the PG handle.