Who here hunts with their .308?

Some of you may have read my other hunting thread, which is partly why I'm interested in the .308 semi.

Long story short I don't think I will be satisfied with a bolt gun, and I kinda want to have the cake and blow it away too.

So how many of you use your .308 semi to hunt, what kind of game do you hunt and what experiences good or bad have you had with this "non-standard" gun being used for hunting...

Feel free to post up pictures of your takes.

Hunting thread

Haven't killed anything this year (yet). The .308 is a great sporting rifle. I do almost all of my deer and pig hunting with them. The only problem is that they are F'n noisy to charge or take the safety off. Everything else is a plus: all weather finish, rugged, reliable, practical accuracy, low recoil compared to a bolt gun and fast follow up shots. I just don't worry about my firearm when I carry a Saiga it will do what it has to do, no matter what. Scratches can be fixed with Krylon grill paint, and they are unaffected by rain or damp. Plus even at some of the prices they are charging now, they are still the bargain of new semi auto 308s.

I see you are from TX. Saiga .308s are bad medicine for hog hunts. I would love to do a night hog hunt, but it is strictly forbidden in SC. Try Federal Premium w/150gr Nosler Partitions. You won't be disappointed by the results, either in accuracy or terminal effect on hogs (or deer).

• 1 month later...

I shot a small buck with my Saiga .308, I thought it was a doe. He was 100 yards away, and it was the last day of rifle season....so I didn't delay :). It was nearly straight-on, and the Federal 150 grain soft-points did some massive damage. Regardless, I still put a good bit of meat in the freezer. The co-workers that thought taking an "AK" deer hunting was insane, don't seem to be handing out any deer-jerky this year. :)

I use mine with a Tromix folder that Will @ Redstick made and a SOCOM 16 in Sage stock configuration for buck -n- boar. Better on pigs when on foot and winchester supreme ballistic tips work exceptionally well. Two years ago I took a buck at 30 yards, front shot, 30.06 ballistic tip. It dropped him in his tracks and the bullet was under the skin by his left shoulder. 100% kinetic energy put on target. Lately, I have been using a 45-70 guide gun with a Weaver 1.5-4x20mm with Hornady lever-evolution rounds. It is very handy, lightweight but a real stopper. Perfect pig-rig. This years buck, a 5-6 year old at 50meters, 5x5, had been watching him since July.

• 1 month later...

Don't take this the wrong way atakacorp. A pig is a pig and dead is dead but that looks like domestic pig to me. Again, I'm not jumping off on you and I have little experience with wild/feral hogs but I am a farm boy from Indiana. Was this a wild hog or a farm pig. The only reason I ask is that I would be somewhat surprised and a little disappointed to pay for a wild hog hunt and run across a Hampshire!

Damn! First I heard of this. I watched the Hogzilla show on The Discovery Channel and I saw pictures of the huge pig a kid shot a year or so back. I thought then how dangerous it would be if one of those giants actually fought back. Even domestic pigs are mean and they will eat small animals. We had to make sure and separate the sows and young pigs when we casterated them. The sows would attack you while you were holding the young males down. They really became upset when the actually cutting began and the young pigs squealed in pain. Some of the older folk would show up and collect the pig balls to eat. If there were any left behind the pigs would eat them.

Don't take this the wrong way atakacorp. A pig is a pig and dead is dead but that looks like domestic pig to me. Again, I'm not jumping off on you and I have little experience with wild/feral hogs but I am a farm boy from Indiana. Was this a wild hog or a farm pig. The only reason I ask is that I would be somewhat surprised and a little disappointed to pay for a wild hog hunt and run across a Hampshire!

99% of all "wild boar" in America are actually feral domestic pigs, or the offspring thereof, with some convoluted hybrids found around hunting ranches. Real Russian or Eurasian boar are only found in fenced off ranches, private land, or hunting lodges. Javalin Are America's only "real" wild pig. But dont be fooled, wild hogs can be ferocious beast and often charge when encountered (I have had 2 charge me). In California we have a lot of hybrids because many ranchers release pen-raised Russian boar for paid hunts and the ones that get away all eventually breed with feral hogs.

It was pretty wild when I shot her :smoke: second pic ,she is domestic now :rolleyes:

post-7628-1235237770_thumb.jpg

post-7628-1235366096_thumb.jpg

Edited by atakacorp