Just paid a visit to my local Academy and was advised by the Gun Guy they were selling Monarch 7.62 X 39 for $2.99 for a 20-rd box-Price is shown as $4.86 on shelf but will scan @ $2.99. Buy it while it lasts!!!!

WOW, Gotta' check that out. My wife works at their new store just opened up in Tyler Tx.

I found wolf 7.62x39 for $2.99/20 rounds at Gable's sporting goods.

Which store did you get it at and how much did they have? Thanks!

I'll stop by and grab a few more boxes today and see how much they have left. The last time I got 10 boxes the guy said get all that I can because he does'nt sell enough to care about restocking it.

I just picked up 25 boxes here and I got them for $2.99 per, no problem.

I called before I went and the guy I got was totally clueless to the sale. He just read the price off of the tag. But I thought I would drop by andway and give it a try.

Has anyone else found the workers at Academy to be a little on the low side for initiative and knowledge?

Funny thing here in DFW, I called one Academy Sports and they scanned the Monarch 20 rd Box of 7.62x39 and it came up at $4.86. I tried another A.S. store and it scanned at $2.99 at their store. I went and picked up 120 boxes with no problem @ $2.99 each. If the first one you call says $4.86 try, try again. :)

Went back to Gable's to get more ammo. Got it from the gun counter guy in the back no price sticker on them and took them up front to the cashier girl who scanned them and rang up $2.99 a box got 5 boxes and when she said that will be $16.00 the manager/owner walked over and said there is no way that price is right. I paid allready and had the receipt in hand. He got kinda mad at the poor girl at the register doing her job and told her to ring me back up at $5.99 a box. I told him to have a nice day and walked out with my 5 boxes that I paid $16.00 for. and he told me not to come in his store again. Oh well because of his stupidness of not updating his inventory his loss my gain.

The wife picked up 13 boxes (all they would let her buy) for me today and Yes they were $2.99 a box! They frown on employees buying alot of items!! They don't know me!! I'll go this weekend and get more!!!!!!

Edited by lonerider
Went back to Gable's to get more ammo. Got it from the gun counter guy in the back no price sticker on them and took them up front to the cashier girl who scanned them and rang up $2.99 a box got 5 boxes and when she said that will be $16.00 the manager/owner walked over and said there is no way that price is right. I paid allready and had the receipt in hand. He got kinda mad at the poor girl at the register doing her job and told her to ring me back up at $5.99 a box. I told him to have a nice day and walked out with my 5 boxes that I paid $16.00 for. and he told me not to come in his store again. Oh well because of his stupidness of not updating his inventory his loss my gain.

Wow...seriously? I'm not sure what I would of said to him...I might of stood there slack jawed

HELLOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Anybody heard of ammoman ???? 7.62X39 1000rds 199 shipped Wolf M.C or Black box H.P. & F.M.J.

HELLOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I paid $161.83 tax included for 1000rds 7.62x39 out the door. That equals $3.98 per box from Ammonman versus 3.23 per box tax included from Academy Sports. That equals a 75 cent a box savings or $90.00 for me at 120 boxes. Hellllllloooooooo!!!!! I have other things I'd like to do with my $90.00. Anybody heard of a calculator????

I get most of mine, through a Barnaul Importer, Dan's Sporting Goods, who is associated with Pac West Arms, and the last 500 about 2 months ago, cost me just under 100 bucks, and that was a dealer price.

If they are dumping the stuff at that price, either they have very good contracts in Russia, or they are selling at a loss, or getting out of the market and clearing out old stock.

None of them in PA I assume, I have never even heard of them.

Too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought ten boxes of this at Academy a couple of days ago. It looks like good quality FMJ ammo. They had a sale tag on the shelf, a display on the gun counter and an entire end cap full of the stuff. The sign said the sale was good until 12/27. So I asked the guy at the gun counter if that was right. He said it was, or until they ran out. While I was there, some other guys bought dozens of boxes of it.

It would seem that Academy is simply offering a low-priced item as a 'loss leader' to get people to shop there. In these tough economic times, that's smart marketing. The guys buying the ammo also bought other items.

And you could tell who these buyers were. They entered the department with a hungry, wild look in their eyes as they systematically sought that 7.62 x 39 prize.