Poll: Have you tried an Ultimak rail on your Saiga rifle?

I was just curious at the number of people who use or have tried Ultimak rails on their Saiga rifles. I put Ultimak rails on all my personal Saigas (except one 12 that I have a Halo on)

post-5490-1224057792_thumb.jpgpost-5490-1224057835_thumb.jpgpost-5490-1224057819.jpg

The Ultimak rail replaces the original steel gas tube and upper handguard, so it adds less than one ounce to the weight of the rifle. Because the rail is mounted above the barrel optics can be mounted without getting in the way of attachments to side rail kits. You can use on the Saiga .223 and 762, but you will have to modify the handguard or replace the handgard with the ultimak Tri-Rail system.

We have all items in stock

1. Ultimak Rail - $94.99

2. Ultimak Handguard - $220

3. Quad Rail Kit - $299

we offer famous and top quality brand name bag which is made from original edition. With every correct detail and material. The main products is GUCCI, MARC JACOBS, MULBERRY, CHLOE, FENDI, LV, HERMES, BALENCIAGA. The products also come with the corresponding attachments,original receipts and shopping bags.Besides,wealso supply jeans, clothes...such asSeven,True&Religion,Rock&Republic,Citizen,Levis,D&G,EVISU,Lacoste shirt,Bape hoody,Abecrombie&Fintch and etc...if you need more info about us,pls contact us:

msn:hot-nike@hotmail.com

What the Hell is this about???

we offer famous and top quality brand name bag which is made from original edition. With every correct detail and material. The main products is GUCCI, MARC JACOBS, MULBERRY, CHLOE, FENDI, LV, HERMES, BALENCIAGA. The products also come with the corresponding attachments,original receipts and shopping bags.Besides,wealso supply jeans, clothes...such asSeven,True&Religion,Rock&Republic,Citizen,Levis,D&G,EVISU,Lacoste shirt,Bape hoody,Abecrombie&Fintch and etc...if you need more info about us,pls contact us:

msn:hot-nike@hotmail.com

What the Hell is this about???

It's a BOT or a paid spammer...

Is it made in US?

Would it count as a compliance part?

If you mounted a Red Dot on the gas tube would it get too hot?

they are made in the us. no they are not a compliance part, that i know of. gas tube is not on the list of parts. however hand guards are. considering it's a combo part?

The rail is made in the US. It would not help you towards 922r compliance unless you removed the handguard and used a US handguard. The red dot would not be too hot if mounted to the gas tube.

Is it made in US?

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone that I've spoken with that has an Ultimak mounted on their AK has reported increased accuracy. The theory is that the mount makes the AK platform more rigid, less flex.

for the record... the ultimak lower hand guard is a pita. wonderful product once you get it on, but getting there SUX. spent 30 minutes trying to get it just right. then i ended up having to get a second pair of hand to hold while i tightened. my 4 year old was VERY excited to help daddy work on his gun. i'll post pics tomorrow probably. by the end of the weekend definatly.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know about increased accuracy but it works as advertised. I got the long version which was pretty easy to mount. Of course I have nothing on it... Swivel adapter and a flashlight.

I've pondered about switching to a standard HG with a clamp on retainer then making a light mount that mounts a flashlight further up the barrel and making a custom HG retainer with a swivel mount and blah blah blah...

Then I realized I'd be adding more weight to my rifle. Even the long version is surprisingly light. Just because of its size when you pick it up you do a double take.

I think the Ultimak rails are great for Saigas since they don't come with the stock front HG retainer and the ultimak lower doesnt use that to mount.

If your AK already has the retainer then I'd lean away from the Ultimak.

Else it comes down to price. $200 is a lot for a HG...

I dont know about increased accuracy but it works as advertised. I got the long version which was pretty easy to mount. Of course I have nothing on it... Swivel adapter and a flashlight.

I've pondered about switching to a standard HG with a clamp on retainer then making a light mount that mounts a flashlight further up the barrel and making a custom HG retainer with a swivel mount and blah blah blah...

Then I realized I'd be adding more weight to my rifle. Even the long version is surprisingly light. Just because of its size when you pick it up you do a double take.

I think the Ultimak rails are great for Saigas since they don't come with the stock front HG retainer and the ultimak lower doesnt use that to mount.

If your AK already has the retainer then I'd lean away from the Ultimak.

Else it comes down to price. $200 is a lot for a HG...

but it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it. i love my ultimak. that and i got it for $160 shipped off another board's EE

• 2 years later...

I have the Ultimak tube rail on my gun, I like it alot. I can get a true co-witness with my Burris Fast Fire. An offset rail clamp allows a tac light to be mounted also. I don't put anything else on my goto rifle.

+1

had the trirail and gas tube...

TRI RAIL for me ended up making the gun awkward.. scaled down to kvar handguard and left ultimak gas tube..

ultimak gas tube... vltor light mount... and aimpoint..

saiga762finalvlad3.JPG

saiga762finalvlad2.JPG

saiga762finalvlad4.JPG

old setup..

with the ful rail system..

saiga.jpg

Edited by vladtepes
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

How can that cost possibly be justified? Not to insult MAA, and I'm all for made in the USA, but thats just rediculous. They probably have to sell it that expensive because of ultimak making it costly for everyone. 310 bucks is more than what some people payed for their rifle! It looks awesome, don't get me wrong. But that just seems like a ton of extra dough for the profit margin. Half the respect of dealing with a company is fair prices. Why not lower the cost, to sell more, so then more people can spread the name by word of mouth? Why can't it be about quality AND affordability? In general, people tend to opt for the less expensive brands that do the same job.

Edited by jrlk2005
I mean, I'm all for made in the USA, but thats just rediculous (sic)

Well go price rails for other platforms, or even the AK platform, it is not out of line with those. For a long time Ultimak was the only game in town, supply and demand. The Ultimak is priced competitively with the new TWS hand guard system, and the mako rails. The MI rails are a good choice at a lower price point but without the ability to quick disconnect optics. In reality one can often mount everything one would need on just the gas tube. With a saiga however that means either chopping the stock hand guard to fit it or adding an AK hand guard which has its own costs. If one used a bolt on retainer and a k-var polymer hand guard he wouldn't be that far off the price of an ultimak

• 1 month later...

I have a $13.00 alternative to the Ultimak gas tube rail. I purchased a 5-1/2" UTG rail for $8.00 and some $5.00 J-B Weld. Works great. It does not co-witness with the iron sites but all I have to do is remove the optic from the rail and the iron sites are usable.

There's a thread called "Alternative to the Ultimak Gas Tube Rail" here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/75768-alternative-to-ultimak-gas-tube-rail/page__hl__%2BAlternative+%2BUltimak__fromsearch__1

Looks like this:

14FinishedTubeRail-side.jpg

I have the chaos mini quad rail and for 20dollars more I got an entire quad rail. Maybe it doesnt cowitness(i dont know yet), but I have a complete 922 compliant part that is functional and looks great. And its the whole handguard.

From everyone who has one and everything ive ever heard, this rail is an excellent product. It is top of the line in all ways, but 100bucks is a hell of alot of money for a mount.

Im sorry for being negative, this is not normally my style, but I cant say this is a 'deal'. Now, if your spending 300-500 on your aimpoint or eotech, comparatively I guess its not too bad. But thats where the market for this product lies, in the big spenders.

Alot of us can no more pay 100bucks for a forward mount, then the lower handguard, then the dot sight, than we can send monkeys flying out of our asses.

For what it probably costs to make, its fuckin crazy. Or maybe Im just broke and jeallous.

Is it made in US?

I have used them on several rifles with Aimpoint H1s/T1s with no issue. I think that the quality of the optic is going to come into play big time here as some of the lower end stuff might not be able to take the heat. Buy once, cry once kinda thing.

Right now my SGL21 has a T1 on it and I am waiting on my SLR-107F to show up and it will have a H1 on it. For whatever it's worth I have never used a vented Ultimak on any of my rifles (7.62, 5.45, 5.56).