Lazer sight ???'s

Didn't find much on the subject of lazer sights when I did a search.

I'm considering adding some optics to this 308, I have a Tasco red dot that I will mount when the scope mount comes but the red dots don't work well at night, too much glare inside the scope even when set on the lowest intensity so I thought a lazer might work as a night sighting device. So I am seaking advise from anyone who has tried one. What or who makes decent ones, not wanting to spend a lot of money on one either so I know that may limit the choices. The scope mount I have coming has an extra rail on the side that can be used for a lazer or flashlight so I will be able to retain the stock front sight.

What is the primary purpose you have in mind for the gun?

For nighttime hunting (hogs, varmints), and home defense, I really like to see what I am aiming at. Thus I prefer a fairly powerful light, in conjunction with a conventional sighting system, to a laser sight. There are weapon-mountable lights that are bright enough to temporarily blind/disorient opponents, while at the same time allowing you to clearly see what you are dealing with. You can also get red filters to use when hunting if you like.

I have a QD UTG mount with a 3-9X40 scope on top, and a Wolf-eyes M90 Rattlesnake high-output LED flashlight with a pressure switch and red filter on the side, on my .308. The system works great for hog hunting.

It is also possible to have a light, laser, and conventional sighting system all on the same gun. I don't see much of a point in it though. Just some thoughts.

Home defense close range shooting. Won't use it for hunting because it is illegal to use laseers in this state. The red dot sight I have isn't good in the dark, the glare from the dot fills the lens so it is usless in low light. Maybe I would be better off mounting a good light and use the iron sights at night.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

What is the primary purpose you have in mind for the gun?

For nighttime hunting (hogs, varmints), and home defense, I really like to see what I am aiming at. Thus I prefer a fairly powerful light, in conjunction with a conventional sighting system, to a laser sight. There are weapon-mountable lights that are bright enough to temporarily blind/disorient opponents, while at the same time allowing you to clearly see what you are dealing with. You can also get red filters to use when hunting if you like.

I have a QD UTG mount with a 3-9X40 scope on top, and a Wolf-eyes M90 Rattlesnake high-output LED flashlight with a pressure switch and red filter on the side, on my .308. The system works great for hog hunting.

It is also possible to have a light, laser, and conventional sighting system all on the same gun. I don't see much of a point in it though. Just some thoughts.

The iron sights should be fine for your purpose. However, a good "reflex" type sight would be even better (Aimpoint, EOtech, Trijicon RX30). They are fairly expensive though. Alternatively, you may be able to find a less expensive red dot sight that works better in low-light conditions than the one you have now.

Also, I am not trying to discourage you from considering a laser sight. They can be effective, and some people really like them. The better ones aren't exactly cheap though. The red lasers seem to be less expensive, and they show up fine at night. Green lasers supposedly work better in daylight.

I got one of those hi-power green ones and put it on my shotgun. then took it off.

They will definately blind someone on the wrong end. Bad part is you can kinda see the beam at night thus giving away your location, but the pulse function is a good option to get around this, that and keep moving around.

The small red ones work pretty good at night on a pistol .

I really like the idea of ,...where the laser dot is, the bullet falls when you pull the trigger.

Forget the laser, it is a Hollywood gimmick. Unless you get a high cost milspec one it will loose zero on you or break when you need it the most. Most lasers in the military are used for indirect fire or missile target designation anyway, not for sighting a rifle. Military lasers are also infrared for a reason, signature. Do you really want to have a nice red line pointing towards you saying "Here I am, shoot me!!!" ? Instead buy standard Aimpoint or Holosight. In CQB for fast shooting it will do fine and have a weapon light light and co-witnessed BUIS too, in case it fails. Remember all optics fail, and usually at the worst time... Or just get a light and use he money saved on ammo and training.

BTW, learn to spell.

Thanks for the imput on the laser. My eyes are getting old and a lot of iron sights I can't see well enough to shoot with accuracy or confidence. The factory iron sights are big and sharp, I may be able to use them. I'm going to zero in the iron sights as a backup. The scope rail I ordered showed up yesterday and it is mounted and a Tasco Pro Point attached. The second rail might be a good place for a light? Or would it work better to have the light mounted closer to the muzzle. :smoke:

100_0393-1T.jpg

Sorry my spelling has offended, at the age of 50 it's not likely to improve. But I just noticed the spell check button at the top of the page so I will try and remember to use it, (Provided I can get the download to work). Didn't realize there were English teachers lurking. :angel:

I do appreciate the advice. :wub:

Lumox

Forget the laser, it is a Hollywood gimmick. Unless you get a high cost milspec one it will loose zero on you or break when you need it the most. Most lasers in the military are used for indirect fire or missile target designation anyway, not for sighting a rifle. Military lasers are also infrared for a reason, signature. Do you really want to have a nice red line pointing towards you saying "Here I am, shoot me!!!" ? Instead buy standard Aimpoint or Holosight. In CQB for fast shooting it will do fine and have a weapon light light and co-witnessed BUIS too, in case it fails. Remember all optics fail, and usually at the worst time... Or just get a light and use he money saved on ammo and training.

BTW, learn to spell.

BTW learn to spell? How rude and totally unnecessary. I didn't realize that we were getting graded on our spelling. What's next are we going to get graded on our use of grammar?

Forget the laser, it is a Hollywood gimmick. Unless you get a high cost milspec one it will loose zero on you or break when you need it the most. Most lasers in the military are used for indirect fire or missile target designation anyway, not for sighting a rifle. Military lasers are also infrared for a reason.....

BTW, learn to spell.

BTW learn to spell? How rude and totally unnecessary. I didn't realize that we were getting graded on our spelling. What's next are we going to get graded on our use of grammar?

Not to mention wrong. There are many lasers in use in the Military that are not IR. IR shows up just fine on nightvision gear, something that is pretty common on today's battlefield.

Lasers are used for speed up close, not across the static lines of a WWII type battlefield.

If a laser is employed correctly there is little reason to be overly concerned about "giving away your position." It is tap (the laser) and bang people, not walking around with a light saber bayonet / spotlight blazing off the front of your firearm. A flashlight has more problems and they are dealt with the same way.

Frankly it gets old here to have the HALO3 commandos try to answer questions like this that are far outside of their depth of experience.

BTW, learn to spell.

• Sentence 2 word "loose" is misspelled. Should be "lose".
  • Sentence 7 word "light light" is incorrect. Should be just "light".
  • Sentence 9 word "he" is misspelled. Should be "the".

"BTW, learn to spell."

:rolleyes:

Oh the irony.

Edited by Dirkenstien
Thanks for the imput on the laser. My eyes are getting old and a lot of iron sights I can't see well enough to shoot with accuracy or confidence. The factory iron sights are big and sharp, I may be able to use them. I'm going to zero in the iron sights as a backup. The scope rail I ordered showed up yesterday and it is mounted and a Tasco Pro Point attached. The second rail might be a good place for a light? Or would it work better to have the light mounted closer to the muzzle. :smoke:

100_0393-1T.jpg

Sorry my spelling has offended, at the age of 50 it's not likely to improve. But I just noticed the spell check button at the top of the page so I will try and remember to use it, (Provided I can get the download to work). Didn't realize there were English teachers lurking. :angel:

Lumox

The second rail works great for a light. That is how mine is set up. As Azrial noted, a light should be used judiciously in a home defense situation, but I do think that it is important to have one so that you can be sure of your target. Also, lights that are sufficiently bright will often temporarily blind an opponent, providing a momentary advantage. Think nothing of the spelling. Everyone makes mistakes, and we knew what you were talking about.

The iron sights should be fine for your purpose. However, a good "reflex" type sight would be even better (Aimpoint, EOtech, Trijicon RX30). They are fairly expensive though. Alternatively, you may be able to find a less expensive red dot sight that works better in low-light conditions than the one you have now.

Also, I am not trying to discourage you from considering a laser sight. They can be effective, and some people really like them. The better ones aren't exactly cheap though. The red lasers seem to be less expensive, and they show up fine at night. Green lasers supposedly work better in daylight.

Green Lasers are great at night. I sometimes mount my Eotech with NVD mounted behind it and I can use the green laser without it blowing out my night vision.post-10790-1225222445_thumb.jpg

Lumox

BTW the rude guy that told you to learn how to spell should look up the proper way to spell himself... it won't loose zero, it will lose zero

BTW, learn to spell.

• Sentence 2 word "loose" is misspelled. Should be "lose".
  • Sentence 7 word "light light" is incorrect. Should be just "light".
  • Sentence 9 word "he" is misspelled. Should be "the".

"BTW, learn to spell."

:rolleyes:

Oh the irony.

Damn! Ya beat me to it (Ya is slang in this case)

As has been said visible lasers make sense up close, not across the battlefield, or I'll add, even across the yard. I think they make excellent sense though for a carry pistol you expect to use within 10ft in low light. That probably describes 90% of defensive gun uses right there. They are not however substitutes for basic iron sights shooting skills. The big plus to a laser when the shtf up close and personal is that it doesn't depend as much on your vision and fine motor skills which tend to be elusive when the fight or flight response kicks in. I see no problem with a laser on a CQB carbine you expect to use to clear your house at night, but I question the usefulness of one on a .308 rifle.