If Obama....

They *should* (nothing is set in stone with the ATF) allow you to register it as a DD. They should give you the opportunity to grandfather it in under the provisions that they set forth.

I am curious to know how that will work in states like mine that don't allow DDs though, I have heard that they make exceptions for situations like this.

The base, unconverted Saiga 12 is sporting.

If they re-class other configurations... well it will probably work the same way it did for ATF Rulings 94-1 and 94-2. Personally, I would not count on them letting you register it in violation of state law. There were options for exempting the receiver from registration and I'm gessing those may apply if this were to happen.

Edited by RDSWriter

You could register them for free, any future transfers, will involve someone paying the appropriate tax.

As with any other type of "classified" gun, other than dealer samples, you can also leave it to your heirs, without paying any more taxes.

These are not fee's, they are a tax, and the dealer who transfers them, is called a "SOT", special occupational taxpayer".

And, if they decide to revoke the sporting status, it could apply to all saiga's, the fact that you can insert a 20 round drum into a sporting shotgun could be reason enough for an oppressive agency, which will answer to no one that cares about your rights in an Obama Presidency.

Patriot, I disagree, hiding your head if you owned a USAS or a Street Sweeper did absolutely no good.

All of us owners SHOULD be scared, and we should be ready to fight for our rights, scared gun owners, may find the NEED to vote, and find the importance of why that vote for the RIGHT candidate, may matter.

Edited by frick

This same topic has come up here since 2001. Don't waste your thoughts fretting. If it happens, deal with it then. There is no effective way to battle it now except promoting responsible ownership and use. Since ATF is above democratic action, there's nothing to do until it happens. Unless you think you can elect a president that will abolish them.

...be reason enough for an oppressive agency, which will answer to no one that cares about your rights in an Obama Presidency.

George Bush, McCain, Kerry, Obama - you think any of them give a f*ck? Doesn't matter which puppet it is. Unless you can get Barr or Paul or similar elected.

Patriot, I disagree, hiding your head if you owned a USAS or a Street Sweeper did absolutely no good.

Showing your head did no good either.

All of us owners SHOULD be scared, and we should be ready to fight for our rights, scared gun owners, may find the NEED to vote, and find the importance of why that vote for the RIGHT candidate, may matter.

Ready to fight for what? May find the NEED to vote? For what. You should be voting anyways. But since we can't vote for ATF officials and have no chance of the RIGHT candidate winning this election (and no its not McCain) then why even waste brain cells worrying?

ok i just bought a saiga 12 for $515 and now i hear this..let say i am in a commie state like illinois or wisconsin can i still get a DD classification for my unmodified saga?...im inda lost on this and had been seriously considering getting a tromix saiga if for no other reason to just piss off the anti gunners..will that tromix have to go or will it be OK if i dont slap in a drum mag?..you guys have me worried some on wether a simple 12 guage saiga is going to be taboo....guess the gubment will say next a benelli super 90 with 4 shot extension tube is a DD.....

ps: i was just goin home camo my saiga and let the kids hunt with it...what a mucked up world this is any more...i should just be a criminal...make life easier

Edited by snooter
...be reason enough for an oppressive agency, which will answer to no one that cares about your rights in an Obama Presidency.

George Bush, McCain, Kerry, Obama - you think any of them give a f*ck? Doesn't matter which puppet it is. Unless you can get Barr or Paul or similar elected.

Showing your head did no good either.

Ready to fight for what? May find the NEED to vote? For what. You should be voting anyways. But since we can't vote for ATF officials and have no chance of the RIGHT candidate winning this election (and no its not McCain) then why even waste brain cells worrying?

Boy, thats the attitude to take, heaven forbid you try and be proactive for your rights.

Just bury the gun now and be done with it, or why not give it to someone else and let them worry about it for you?