And now for something completely random.

In the friggin oven.

325 degrees for 30 minutes. Why make extra work--place a whole bunch right on the rack. Cool like normally in bowl of cold water. Fantastic!

BONUS!

* Leave the eggs in the carton on their side to center the yolk.

* Just break off the top and bottom of the egg and blow the egg out from one side.

* Older eggs are easier to deshell.

I like eggs.

cook eggs in shell in prefered way.........then shell

toss in left over pickle juice for 1 week.....

pickled eggs rock......

for more fun....add....garlic and red pepper flake.......lots......rock on and have plenty of TP ready,.......

you have been warned.......

if avail....add Schlitz beer......ah......college.......

warning..............MASSIVE farts incoming.....

cook eggs in shell in prefered way.........then shell

toss in left over pickle juice for 1 week.....

pickled eggs rock......

for more fun....add....garlic and red pepper flake.......lots......rock on and have plenty of TP ready,.......

you have been warned.......

if avail....add Schlitz beer......ah......college.......

warning..............MASSIVE farts incoming.....

:blink: That sounds horrible, blehh. Ever see anyone eat pickled pigs feet?

I really love hard boiled eggs, and I'm on Atkins. I fail horribly at shelling eggs them and never cook them because of it. I ruin at least 4 out of each dozen, and shelling a dozen eggs takes me well over an hour.

1. Boil eggs

2. Put straight into refrigerator for 2-4 hours

3. Easily remove shell large pieces at a time (cold shrinks egg away from shell)

I really love hard boiled eggs, and I'm on Atkins. I fail horribly at shelling eggs them and never cook them because of it. I ruin at least 4 out of each dozen, and shelling a dozen eggs takes me well over an hour.

Bring water to a full rolling boil, add desired number of eggs, boil exactly 10 minutes. Take pot off stove and dump water out while leaving eggs in pot. Shake pot semi-vigorously to break the shells. Immediately add cold water and some ice cubes to cool the eggs. They come out perffect with no gray color on the yellow and the cold water seeps between the egg & shell and makes peeling them a breeze.

Ok, I'll try cooking a dozen tomorrow and letting them chill and try to peel them. I bet I still fail horribly.

This is even quicker and easier; my wife uses this technique all the time:

Boil the eggs for whatever time you like for the "hardness" you prefer. When they're done, immediately place them in ICE WATER until cool to the touch. Take each one out, tap it all around on a hard surface, and the shells will slide right off! Seems that the shock of the ice water releases the shell and membrane's grip on the egg white.

Ok, I'll try cooking a dozen tomorrow and letting them chill and try to peel them. I bet I still fail horribly.

This is even quicker and easier; my wife uses this technique all the time:

Boil the eggs for whatever time you like for the "hardness" you prefer. When they're done, immediately place them in ICE WATER until cool to the touch. Take each one out, tap it all around on a hard surface, and the shells will slide right off! Seems that the shock of the ice water releases the shell and membrane's grip on the egg white.

I'm going with this one. I got the ice water ready and the other water is almost boiling.

Hilarious, it ended in a giant screaming match because I refused to cook them my father's way (the way that always fails horribly). I had a few peeled perfectly, but finally cracked (lol) under him screaming at me over my shoulder like a drill sergeant. I ended up smashing half of them, and my father the other half, including the ones that were peeled.

It worked perfectly, but there's another dozen boiling right now that my father won't let me touch, he's peeling them. So I'm gonna end up with probably 10 out of 12 peeled by him, and maybe 2 that won't make me puke in my mouth. He always leaves them with some shell or all or most of the membrane on them. That membrane is DISGUSTING.

Update: he soft boiled them, the whites were only partially cooked. So were mine now that I think back to smashing them. I did mine for 10 minutes, he did his for 14 he says. We use Jumbo eggs, that might be the problem. I'm cooking them for at least 20 minutes when I try again tomorrow.

Edited by Twinsen
Hilarious, it ended in a giant screaming match because I refused to cook them my father's way (the way that always fails horribly). I had a few peeled perfectly, but finally cracked (lol) under him screaming at me over my shoulder like a drill sergeant. I ended up smashing half of them, and my father the other half, including the ones that were peeled.

It worked perfectly, but there's another dozen boiling right now that my father won't let me touch, he's peeling them. So I'm gonna end up with probably 10 out of 12 peeled by him, and maybe 2 that won't make me puke in my mouth. He always leaves them with some shell or all or most of the membrane on them. That membrane is DISGUSTING.

Update: he soft boiled them, the whites were only partially cooked. So were mine now that I think back to smashing them. I did mine for 10 minutes, he did his for 14 he says. We use Jumbo eggs, that might be the problem. I'm cooking them for at least 20 minutes when I try again tomorrow.

It will definitely work. I've watched my wife do 'em this way for 35 years, and they all turn out perfectly. I just asked her, and she says she boils her eggs about 20 minutes before she rolls 'em into the ice water bath.

Hate to tell you this but if you boil an egg at full rolling boil for 20 minutes you are going to have the gray/green sulphur shit around the yolk. Try just one following my instructions and report back.

1911 eggstra special member :)

Well, 1911, my own personal wife has been cooking them for 20 minutes and removing the shells this way for over a quarter of century, and I have yet to encounter any gray/green sulphur shit around the yoke. Must be the water. . . :rolleyes:

I don't understand, why boil? It tosses them all over and takes just as long as the oven which is perfect with no work--ultimate lazy. Screw guesswork. Toss the eggs in the oven, a bowl of water in the freezer and go watch Future Weapons. Come back, take them out, into the bowl they go for a few minutes.

TRY THE OVEN! Alton Brown is a g'damn genius.

How to peel an egg by blowing the shell off

I used to have trouble peeling my hard-boiled eggs,the shell would stick to the white like it was glued on.An old Mennonite woman told me to try letting the eggs reach room temp. before boiling-works like a charm.I've had perfect eggs ever since.

:blink: That sounds horrible, blehh. Ever see anyone eat pickled pigs feet?

Ive ate them, but it has been a while. They are not that bad really :rolleyes:

I refuse to trust your judgment from now on and no longer respect your opinion. :D