24mm muzzle or 14x1LH?

Hi fellas,

Got a question of some importance. I've got a 7.62x39 Saiga that I'd like to convert. The one I've got on deck has the mag well dimples so I'd like to go for an authentic feel. I've decided to go the AK-100 route with the left side-folding stock, bayonet lug and the like. I just can't decide what thread to go with on the barrel.

I've got the Bulgarian 24mm FSB on the way, but can't decide if I'd rather cut the threads off the FSB and thread the actual barrel to 14x1LH.

I've been doing some research on muzzle brakes, and it seems the only options I have for 24mm threads are the AK-74 or Krinkov style. Where there are countless options when it comes to 14x1LH (birdcage, Spetznaz, Dragunov style, A2, etc.) Also, It doesn't look like you'd be able to put a muzzle nut on the 24mm threads and use the lug on the gas block for a bayonet - just bayonet-with-muzzle-brake-attached only.

So, what do you think? Should I go with authentic 24mm threads and cut my muzzle brake options down, or should I break convention and go with 14mm threads & more options?

Hi fellas,

Got a question of some importance. I've got a 7.62x39 Saiga that I'd like to convert. The one I've got on deck has the mag well dimples so I'd like to go for an authentic feel. I've decided to go the AK-100 route with the left side-folding stock, bayonet lug and the like. I just can't decide what thread to go with on the barrel.

I've got the Bulgarian 24mm FSB on the way, but can't decide if I'd rather cut the threads off the FSB and thread the actual barrel to 14x1LH.

I've been doing some research on muzzle brakes, and it seems the only options I have for 24mm threads are the AK-74 or Krinkov style. Where there are countless options when it comes to 14x1LH (birdcage, Spetznaz, Dragunov style, A2, etc.) Also, It doesn't look like you'd be able to put a muzzle nut on the 24mm threads and use the lug on the gas block for a bayonet - just bayonet-with-muzzle-brake-attached only.

So, what do you think? Should I go with authentic 24mm threads and cut my muzzle brake options down, or should I break convention and go with 14mm threads & more options?

Go with option A. The 24mm FSB will be the best option. Get a nice US made 24mm muzzle brake clone from AK-103.com or ERT&D

Of course you can't put a muzzle nut on the 24mm FSB and expect the bayonet to work. 1) 24mm muzzle nuts aren't available (unless you turn one yourself) and 2) the bayonet was designed to fit on the end of the muzzle brake and use the lug on the bottom of the FSB.

P.S. If you were to cut your threads on your barrel (14x1LH) and use an adapter to bring it out to 24mm, this arrangement rattles.