Best drill bit for dilling thru weld?

I couldn't even drill through the spot weld, period. I tried a titanium bit and a carbide bit. Used beeswax on there too. Even tried a drill press after my arm wore out with the hand drill. Those titanium bits go right through that Izhmash finish :rolleyes: but barely pricked that damn spot weld. What I did was grind off the 2 rivets and pull the plate off, then grind the spot weld from the now accesible top side of the sporter plate until the trigger guard was it's own entity for my reuse.

Edited by ernestmayhand

Ummm...Carbide bit?? Thats what I use to drill out Heat treated steel and Ti. They cut well, better than anything else, BUT they can be brittle so dont bend them or, SNAP!! Try McMaster Carr. They have good prices and a good selection.

I make knives for a living...and Thats what I used for my S20 conversion. I used my Vert. Mill for most of the rest of it, rivets and such.

I used a glass and tile bit from home depot and some cutting oil and it cut through the spot weld like butter used a slow speed on the drill press and a sort of pulsing motion and it only took a few seconds. This was on a spot weld that a cobalt bit didn't touch.

Seriously, the easiest way. I've done a few of these and it the best way to fly through it.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT:

I timed myself and it took 35 SECONDS to drill through the weld with a 3/16 inch 100% sold carbide end mill. :up:

I got mine from Dinzag who sells them for $10.

3/16 is also the perfect size to drill any other holes you need (like a hole in the receiver for a screw to hold the front of the trigger guard).

I got mine from Dinzag because I was already ordering from him.

louielouie