Best red dot or holo for under $200

I got a Vortex Strikefire from Liberty Optics for $129 shipped. Got very high marks from those on AR15.com too.

Don't know if these are still for that price (I think they are), but they're a very good deal. Includes either the tall rings or short rings. I couldn't tell you which you would need but I got the tall ones for my AR rifle.

l_strikefire_rendered.jpg

http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html is his page.

hth

Paul

Kobra

uhhhhhhhhhhh

And just where can you get a Kobra for under $200? The ones Kalinka have are $279.99/$259.99

Ooops...sorry about that. I have two that I bought used from fellow forum members in perfect condition. I think one was $150 and the other was worked into a trade at about $180 value. I'm a firm believer in letting someone else take the hit and settling for a perfect used part instead of buying new. You can find about anything you want if you comb all the gun boards classifieds. Something like a Kobra is just as good for the second owner. Those things can take a lot of abuse.

Kobra

uhhhhhhhhhhh

And just where can you get a Kobra for under $200? The ones Kalinka have are $279.99/$259.99

Ooops...sorry about that. I have two that I bought used from fellow forum members in perfect condition. I think one was $150 and the other was worked into a trade at about $180 value. I'm a firm believer in letting someone else take the hit and settling for a perfect used part instead of buying new. You can find about anything you want if you comb all the gun boards classifieds. Something like a Kobra is just as good for the second owner. Those things can take a lot of abuse.

Thanks cobra, that's good advice. I do have my eye on a couple of pre owned Eo-Tech's. Might be able to get a decent deal on those. Although probably a little more than two hundred. Now if I could just make up my mind between converting it myself or going with Red Jacket!!!

Kobra

uhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh yea, Kobra's are awesome but I wish they were >$200 straight from the factory! I plan on getting one of those eventually.

I got a Vortex Strikefire from Liberty Optics for $129 shipped. Got very high marks from those on AR15.com too.

Don't know if these are still for that price (I think they are), but they're a very good deal. Includes either the tall rings or short rings. I couldn't tell you which you would need but I got the tall ones for my AR rifle.

hth

Paul

will the vortex strikefire work inline with an aimpoint magnifier? ie: is it around the same size as the clonepoints and comp m2s?

hth

Paul

will the vortex strikefire work inline with an aimpoint magnifier? ie: is it around the same size as the clonepoints and comp m2s?

I've been looking into the Strikefire for my new 9mm AR. But I keep reading about an annoying reflection in the glass. I'm not sure I could deal with that. Vortex is supposed to be working on the problem, but I'm not sure how far along they are with that. By the way, it comes with a 2X "doubler". Which would be plenty enough for my 9mm.

hth

Paul

I've been looking into the Strikefire for my new 9mm AR. But I keep reading about an annoying reflection in the glass. I'm not sure I could deal with that. Vortex is supposed to be working on the problem, but I'm not sure how far along they are with that. By the way, it comes with a 2X "doubler". Which would be plenty enough for my 9mm.

What is a 2x doubler?

hth

Paul

What is a 2x doubler?

It's a magnifier that threads into the rear of the sight, to give you 2x magnification.

I got my Vortex Strikefire in the mail last week (took a month to get it). It looks solidly built and the dot is plenty bright.

When I finally mounted it on my GSG and took it outside, I found that it has the worst optics I have ever seen - the reflection is so bad it is kind of hard to discern the target from the reflection. This is a dangerous optic to use. They must cut costs by not coating the lenses.

I got my Vortex Strikefire in the mail last week (took a month to get it). It looks solidly built and the dot is plenty bright.

When I finally mounted it on my GSG and took it outside, I found that it has the worst optics I have ever seen - the reflection is so bad it is kind of hard to discern the target from the reflection. This is a dangerous optic to use. They must cut costs by not coating the lenses.

I've been checking their barfcom "Industry Forum", but they haven't really updated with any new info on a fix. But they have said that anyone with a problem sight would be offered an exchange if/when a fix is made.

IMHO, this is the best red dot for under $200. Its hard to believe, but this sucker has been on my 870 through about 1500 rounds of full power buck and slugs and has not even lost zero. The guy who recommended it to me uses his even harder. Another friend of mine uses one on his 44 mag. A lot of the paint is off of it and it still works good. The optics are honestly just as clear as the aimpoints and the dot is probably better IMO. Even if its not as rugged or cool looking as an aimpoint, its got a warranty and only costs $60. Check out the reviews on it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

IMHO, this is the best red dot for under $200. Its hard to believe, but this sucker has been on my 870 through about 1500 rounds of full power buck and slugs and has not even lost zero. The guy who recommended it to me uses his even harder. Another friend of mine uses one on his 44 mag. A lot of the paint is off of it and it still works good. The optics are honestly just as clear as the aimpoints and the dot is probably better IMO. Even if its not as rugged or cool looking as an aimpoint, its got a warranty and only costs $60. Check out the reviews on it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

After reading your post, and digging online for more reviews, I just put an order in at Midway for one of these. :D

I didn't find any bad reviews on it. I'm gonna throw it on my 9mm AR when it arrives. I'm thinking the 3MOA dot will be more than sufficient for the distance I will be shooting at, being that it's 9mm.

SuperA,

The Millet is made to use with both eyes open or one eye as you see fit - no magnification. Because of the thin diameter of the tube, it kind of disappears from view like a ghost ring. It is very low profile and light due to the small 1" tube, but at the cost of less FOV than bigger red dots. Millet does make a 30mm tube version with greater FOV, but I have not tried it. Even with the reduced FOV, you still get on target twice as fast as iron sights. This is perfect for someone looking for a small unobtrusive optic.

Reduced light performance is not on par with high dollar red-dots, but better than the other under $200 offerings I have seen. The shotgun slug-hunting and magnum pistol crowds love this model Millet and have used it through years of abuse. I have dropped mine and hit it on obstacles during shoots and it still functions like the day I bought it. I bought a 2nd one and put it on my .22 target pistol and love it. They are supposed to be waterproof and fog-proof too.

Don't get me wrong, I have aimpoints, PKAS red/black dots, and ACOGS and they are better built. But that little Millet is worth far more than the price. You can find hundreds of reviews from dissatisfied Aimpoint and Eotec owners, but everyone likes these. Still, if I invested in a $1,500 gun that my life depends on - I would go Aimpoint.

PS: The dot selector dial seems hard to move (stiff) when you first get the optic. But after some use, it loosens up nicely.

Edited by desert dog
Hell at that price it's hard not to. If I end up wanting something else for my rifle I'll just save up for it and put that one on my shotgun, or maybe my next rifle! :exciting:

That's what I was thinking when I ordered it. If I don't like it, it's going on my .22.

Mine should be here in the next few days, I'll post some pics.

There are some Bushnell Holo sights going for under $200 over on AR15 Equipment Exchange. A guy was selling them for $99, i don't know if he has any left. Look under Optics Budget.

I'd snap up one of those Bushnell's. Eotech makes them. I have one and a regular Eotech 551 and love'm both.

I got my Millet SP-1 in the mail yesterday. It looks good. The dot isn't as defined as my Eotech's "donut of death", but it's more than sufficient for my purposes. Plus, I haven't really played with the brightness settings yet, to see how clear I can get it. The glass is crystal clear though.

I'll mount it later today, and see how I like it.

(It comes with Weaver rings. Am I remembering right, that Weaver rings will mount on a picatinny rail? I hope so :unsure: )

Well the rings lock up nice and tight. The only problem is that they're WAY too low to mount the sight directly to a flat top AR. With the straight-line stock design of all AR's, you have to mash your cheek into the stock, to even see the dot :ded: .

So it looks like I'll be ordering some rings for it soon.

But I did manage to get the dot nice and crisp, by messing with the brightness levels.

superA, I'll get some pics soon and post 'em up.

Edited by 22_Shooter

Sorry it took so long, my memory card went missing.

Here's the pics:

IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3129-1.jpg

The last picture came out blurry, so it makes the dot look fuzzy. But it's nothing like that, once you play with the brightness, it's very crisp and actually a dot, not a blob.