SKS is AK based right?

I just got a Chinese SKS given to me, now what do I do with it.

I.E. set it up as a long range (sniper style) rifle? If so, what is the range of these things?

Tactical style, portable weapon? Even though it is an 8 lb long barreled rifle?

Or just use it as a paper weight?

I couldn't find a pic thread for these, so if anyone has one, maybe you could attach some photos.

Thanks

I have read that the SKS first came out in small numbers in 1944, and the AK in 1947.

They also have completely different trigger actions. The SKS trigger assembly can be taken out of the rifle as a complete unit and sent off for "tweaking" by gunsmiths and then put back in the rifle as a complete unit.

The AK FCG cannot be done that way.

I.E. set it up as a long range (sniper style) rifle? If so, what is the range of these things?

I couldn't find a pic thread for these, so if anyone has one, maybe you could attach some photos.

Thanks

Why not just shoot it and have fun with it, as is?

Completly different gun. But you can still trick it out, lots of different things you can do to one, high cap removable mags and a whole lot more if you like. Or just shoot it as it. The nature of the gun and the ammo it shoots don't lend to being a long range sniper, best suited to close to medium range shooting. Will be a great home defense gun. And you can use it for deer hunting too.

The SKS is a great rifle. It's probably one of the most popular surplus rifles in the country. It's affordable, reasonably accurate, uses the same ammo as the AK, and there are tons of accessories available for it.

Some prefer to scoff at those who "bubba" their SKS with aftermarket parts....and some like myself prefer to keep a couple of them bone stock (my Chinese and my Russian Tula), and mod another one or two just because I can...and they are plentiful and reasonably inexpensive. I bought a Yugo SKS just to modify.

Here's an example of what I think of is a tastefully "bubba'd" Yugo SKS. A buddy of mine who's a judge came over and we did this to his....

post-1293-1225385447_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1225385490_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry to post here when it is not an AK style. I was told the SKS is to the AK, kind of how the 10/22 relates to the Mini 14.

Cobra,

Is that a Tapco stock? I know some people are against modifying the SKS (I've even had a guy relate it to polishing a turd), but I can't leave well enough alone. What is done to the front sight on that SKS?

Hallboss

Yes hallboss, that's a Tapco Fusion set in digi camo. I'm pretty impressed with it. I'm getting ready to install a mercury recoil reducer inside the stock tube.

The front sight is just standard Yugoslavian. It has the extra part that serves as a grenade launching sight when folded upward. This also adjusts the gas system for firing the grenade using blanks.

post-1293-1225548610_thumb.jpg

The beauty of the SKS is that it's NOT considered an assault rifle by the ATF, and in fact sits well outside the requirements for being an assault rifle unless you modify it. To be an assault rifle, first and foremost, it must accept a detachable magazine. It also must have at least 2 from a list of features that can include a folding stock or pistol grip. Because it does not have a detachable magazine, it cannot be considered an assault rifle.

Cobra, for some reason, the FSB on both of my 1952 Tulas holds the cleaning rod in the hole very snugly (just like an AK). This is my hunting SKS, so it is the only one that I leave the bayo off of and my only one that is slightly bubba-ed (butt pad, techsights, heat sheild, smoothed out trigger)

Chevymann, That is a Techsight rear sight and skinny front post. It is a huge accuracy improvement over the stock sights. The only problem is that it will take an extra 30 seconds to put the dust cover on and take it off for cleaning. I did a complete review of it in the "other firearms" forum.

post-10946-1225672925_thumb.jpg

Edited by desert dog

Thanks

They only thing they share is the caliber and the "K" in their names.

Operation is different, parts are different(and mostly milled), looks are different.

post-10790-1226090741_thumb.jpgI've had two SKS and then sold one. The remaining one I have has the Tapco stock and a Leepers quad rail at the front. After I got both of my Saigas I haven't shot it much lately. When I put on the quad mount I think I tightened it too much and maybe put a bind on the gas tube. It doesn't cycle worth a dam now. I put it up in my cabinet and have been using my Saigas to have my 7.62x39 "fun with guns". It started out as a Chinese milled receiver type. I'll try and snap some pics. I may try and tweak it a little over the weekend.

The insurgents still uses SKS's over in Iraq today.

Wow DD that's a beautiful laminated stock on your Tula there. Mine has some kind of hardwood stock with the Tula arrow and star stamped into it with 3 pairs of X's and the serial number. It's a '53.

The beauty of the SKS is that it's NOT considered an assault rifle by the ATF, and in fact sits well outside the requirements for being an assault rifle unless you modify it. To be an assault rifle, first and foremost, it must accept a detachable magazine. It also must have at least 2 from a list of features that can include a folding stock or pistol grip. Because it does not have a detachable magazine, it cannot be considered an assault rifle.

In the new assualt weapon ban, I'm pretty sure they have a "no internal magazine over 5 rounds for rifles" deal. I'm not sure about that exact line, but I know that Garands are illegal in the new ban's writing, so I assume that law is in there.

Either way, still a good buy everybody. I like detachable magazines though, and that's an illegal modification in my state.

In the new assualt weapon ban, I'm pretty sure they have a "no internal magazine over 5 rounds for rifles" deal. I'm not sure about that exact line, but I know that Garands are illegal in the new ban's writing, so I assume that law is in there.

Either way, still a good buy everybody. I like detachable magazines though, and that's an illegal modification in my state.

Also I am pretty sure the bayonet will be illegal again. I have a Yugo 59/66 that will obviously violate a few rules (flash hider, bayonet, capacity over 5 rounds, grenade launcher, etc.) I am keeping it stock as I love the look.

I understand that there will be a grandfather clause for already owned weapons and gear, just won't be able to use or sell them I guess. Get yours before it is too late. I am also investing heavily in copper jacketed lead.

Edited by Saigaczech

SKS??!!! Heck yes. Good gun. Definately not a paper weight

Keep it simple. The photo above with a metal upper hand-grip is what I mean.

But that rear peep sight is not worth spit--you have to take it off to clean the rifle (loosing zero).

Here's a list of stuff to do:

Remove the bayonet--but don't cut off the lug! (improve accuracy).

Search out a Russian made fiberglass jungle stock and switch out the old furniture.

Clean off the metal with acetone--give everything (but not the bolt mechanism) a good coat of duracoat or other paint. Camouflage paint it.

Try fitting it with a rubber butt-pad extender.

If you can find an old 20 round USA magazine (type for SKS, company out of business) use this! If not the Tapco 20 rounder is next best. 20 rounders are optimal because they allow you to get lower to the ground--and they are easy to top-load with stripper clips.

Get a spring-loaded firing pin from Murray's Gunsmithing--eliminates slam fires.

Try using the Williams firesight on the front, and their replacement peep sight. Zero it at 100 yards and learn to hold-over (or under) shoot it. This is an effective rifle out to about 300 yards--you will be able to consistantly hit a man sized target out to that range no problemo.

Shinmen T.

fiveringstakezo wrote;

"But that rear peep sight is not worth spit--you have to take it off to clean the rifle (loosing zero)."

Absolutely not my experience! installed properly they have held perfect zero on and off about 50 times. Like I stated, it takes an extra 30 seconds to take the cover off and and extra 30 seconds to put it back on again. Look at some of the groupings in the "other firearms" section, my groupings shrank in half, as have others I know that have actualy used the sight (many comment on the net without even using the item). For a plinking or hunting gun, I think the accuracy improvement is worth the extra minute. I dont put a bunch of aftermarket crap (bubba) on my mil-surp rifles unless its a huge improvement over what was already there. I put the metal upper handguard on the pictured rifle because the original was craked, and a good laminate replacement is imposible to find. I took a deer with this rifle so I am especially fond of this one.

I have lots of SKSs (still trying to find an East German and a good Albanian) and have only had the slamfire issue with a Romanian I ordered from Century. Im going to buy the old russian spring-style firing pin from Murray's for it and see if it helps. With the poor ergonomics of the SKS stock, slamfires are pretty crazy - rifle will almost jump out of your hands. Mine did it on a bechrest one time and the thing jumped right off of the sandbag. I have not shot that Romanian since. When I started hearing about this problem, I got pretty anal about keeping the firing pin and bolt clean on my SKSs.

• 2 weeks later...

The rear peep site is definitely not junk and is probably the best improvement for accuracy that doesnt alter the rifle. The tapco stock is a great one for those who like pistol grips or who are not the 'right size' for the standard length of pull with the wood stock.

USA made the best 30 rounder, but if you want the best 20 rounder go with tapco. If you like stripper clips then search out the more rare 20 round fixed mag or just use the standard 10 round. USA mags are no longer made, so be sure to look at the floor plate for the USA stamp to make sure its the real deal.

Choate makes the best scope mount, don't bother with the receiver cover mounts. Also dont bother with scope mounts that go on the gas tube, as the gas tube is never going to be as solid a base as drilling and tapping the actual receiver.

All the muzzle brakes are junk unless they screw on the yugo models grenade launcher threads.

Murrays firing pin upgrade is the best thing you can do for your rifle to make it safer.

If you want to really improve your trigger pull and accuracy send your fire control group to Kivaari to improve. http://www.kivaari.com/

The SKS is not junk and can often outshoot an AK at 200-300 yards. Anyone that says otherwise is just mad they dont have one! :)

I own 2 SKS's and love both.

One is a bone stock yugo, unisued-barley been fire, dosn't look like it ever has been. I keep that one stock and never fire it. Its too prety, hate to say that for a weapon that was made to be a workhorse.

The other is a storterised chinese imported by century arms. synthetic stock, detachable mags, bayonette. I beat the piss out of it, and it asks for more. considering heavy modification of this one. If your wondering what i mean check this link...

http://www.rifletech.com/2direct.htm