9mm is one of the few calibers that when silenced are really fackin quiet. Get one and a can!

There are Sig P6 or Sig 225's out there now that are single stack 9mms that hold 8 rounds. They're $250. Beware some have the magazine release behind the magazine at the bottom of the grip, some are normal American style.

Edited by Twinsen
If your state allows CCW (mine doesn't) the 9 is preferable over a 380. So that might be something to keep in mind. The Bersas have gotten really good reviews and you may want to keep your eye out for one.

This will be a carry weapon. If practice determines it's a reliable and accurate weapon.

I picked up a M&P Compact. Inexpensive and rebate attached as well drives the price down or gets you extra mags. I am impressed by the overall quality etc. I have no long term experience with it only a couple hundred rounds at the range. Trigger sucks but that can be changed if you desire, in Ma they come with like a 12lb trigger, not sure about other states. Much prefer the Sig 226 but much different price ranges.

Good luck in your search.

Capacity! 15+1 in my G19

17+1 in the G17. Not compact though, besides he already stated he is a Glock hater.

Go with an XD then..... Allot of 1911 shooters like em.... Same hi cap as glocks...

I know you said you hate Glocks, so I am going to suggest you buy a .........................Glock.

Take a class, put lots of rounds thru it and then you will realize that your hate is unfounded.

I wasn't going to go there, but since you did I gotta say I just don't get the hatred for Glock. I own 2, and they are perfection. I must admit sometimes I like something heavy in my hand, but after owning a glock, I will probably never go back.

The 9mm has been around for a very long time.

If it were not an effective round it would not still be in production.

It was good enough for Germany to fight a world war with.

Then there's the famous H&K MP5, 'nuff said.

Oh and a big +1 to using it with a can!

I know you said you hate Glocks, so I am going to suggest you buy a .........................Glock.

Take a class, put lots of rounds thru it and then you will realize that your hate is unfounded.

I wasn't going to go there, but since you did I gotta say I just don't get the hatred for Glock. I own 2, and they are perfection. I must admit sometimes I like something heavy in my hand, but after owning a glock, I will probably never go back.

I'm a recent convert to Glock and 9mm...

the only thing really weird at first was the plasticky trigger....

I have been quiet till now because I didn't want to admit that I "used to" own a couple of 9mm. One was a S&W 6906 reworked by Wayne Novak many years ago and the other was a H&K SP-89. I carry .45acp exclusively but there are advantages to the 9mm. :eek: The first is that the ammo is considerably cheaper. This is why I "used to" own a couple of 7.62x39 rifles because the ammo was one half the cost of what the .223 weapons I "used to" own. The other advantage is "high capacity" in case you trying to use it as a Battle Pistol. :rolleyes: I would encourage you to use 9mm as the absolute minimum cartridge for your main carry weapon. I will admit that as a back up gun I "used to" own .22 NA Arms mini revolver, Kel-Tec .32, PPK/S .380 & Ruger LCP .380. These "used to be" for stick it in their eye/ear as I am S.O.L. weapons. Of course I have since either sold them at garage sales or donated them to various good causes (I can't remember which). I have heard a number of positive comments on the S&W MP as well as the CZ variations, specifically the CZ SP01 Shadow as I recall. Probably not much help, sorry I tried.

Edited by 1911

I liked my buddies XD... I outshot him HANDS down the first time I held the pistol in my hands...

If I can find the target - which I still have!! - I will post a pic of it... I *THINK I shot 7 in the X ring, 2 in the 10 ring and one in the 9 ring from 15 yards. It was one of those large, full silhouette targets...

the XD was a pleasure to shoot, and IMHO decently accurate... my buddy though, couldnt hit all 10 inside a paper plate at that range... so I dunno what was up...

:smoke:

Springfield Armory XD is hard to beat. I have one in .40 and 9mm. I like Glocks but I have never been able to shoot them very well. The XD grip angle is apparently better for my hands/shooting style. Also a friend of mine has a CZ 75 (I forget what variation). This is the best 9mm I have ever shot. I will be getting one ASAP. The price was very reasonable on either of these pistols. I dont see many CZ pistols up for sale used but I run across XDs used fairly frequently. Hope this bit of experience helps.

Another Glock hater here. Just don't like the feel. And the first time I shot one I almost dropped the damn thing when the spring went sprongy! That said i got 5 out of 5 in the 10 ring. they shoot fine but i detest them. As for 9MM, any compact alloy frame "wonder 9" will do the job. There are times when a .45 is too large. Hell sometimes a .25 Berretta with lazer grips is the best choice. Not mutch gun, but a whole lot better than saying afterward "If I had only been carrying a gun" or worse yet having your mourners say that!

Get yourself some 147 grain Federal HST's and you are good to go. If your gun doesn't like to eat the heavy stuff, try the 124 grain instead.

9mm has come a long way in the last ten years.

Are you looking for compact or sub-compact?

If you are looking for value, try:

Bersa Thunder 9

KelTec P-11 or PF-9

Taurus PT111 (I'd only recommend the newest model)

Springfield XD (this gun is a real shooter)

I recently began carrying an Astra A70 9mm. It is Single action, so it will work and feel a lot like your .45s, except it won't kill you wearing it all day.

http://www.gunsworld.com/spain/astra_a70_us.html

I picked mine up for $200.00 at a local shop. The trigger reset is so fast I can double tap almost as well as when I was carrying a Kimber Pro II