I like 9mm, but i prefer single stack ANYTHING in a carry gun like the EMP series mini 1911's,but as long as i have enough experiance behind it to trust it with my life, but my 9mm is still being worked on, but a great gun...browning hi power, double stack mag and all the aftermarket goodies on it, good range and home gun, not a good carry gun (hard to conceal)

Photo-0043.jpg

but this is my carry gun, and this is much easier concealed then the hi-power, kinda wierd it but conceals well on me the way i hide it. Plus i got the nice grip and lightened trigger pull. Ruger Sp101 3" .357 mag

Photo-0047.jpg

Edited by Vultite
I wonder if you could load a mag with ball and HP alternating and have it feel reliably. That would give you the best of both worlds as far as the ammo goes for self defense.

My S&W 5906 will do this until the thing looks like it has been down a coal mine...

The first time out with it, one of the guys from ATK wanted to know if I could alternate between JHP Magtech, blazer brass, blazer aluminum, Winchester white box... different grain too... No problems until the thing was very dirty, after 300+ rounds it gets dirty!

If you look at the terminal ballistics of the common service round, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 caliber they are virtually identical. The FBI test has worked wonders over the years and all of them are pretty effective so long as you're carrying a modern bullet design such as a Gold Dot. They aren't a rifle nor are they a shotgun but they are far more portable. I personally tend to prefer the heavier bullets since the momentum seems to keep them from deflecting as much when they hit bone but that's based on anecdotal accounts from doctors performing autopsies. I've never seen that tested and proven.

Given that the terminal performance is apparently about equal, and accuracy is also, the next question is how quickly can you take follow up shots? I think most folks find that they have faster split times with the 9mm compared to the 40 S&W or 45 caliber, which equals more shots per unit of time. If the terminal performance is about equal, that would mean that the round which gives you the fastest shots will allow you to inflict the most damage. Lastly we have the question of capacity which is an easy win for the 9mm. It's also worth noting that your mag changes while undergoing an adrenalin dump will not be as smooth and practiced as they are the rest of the time so having lots of capacity in that first mag is good. Lastly, when you consider that the average for self defense shooting seems to be hitting one out of 5 shots, having higher capacity is a big win.

All of these considerations argue for the 9mm.

Edited by Glocker

just my 2cents i carry a 45. but in summer i carry the glock 19 good capacity and fairly small, and if you are carrying for a zombie attack they have 32 round mags for them. also like was said earlier the xd sub compact is a nice pistol as well they are much easier to carry than the 45.

If you look at the terminal ballistics of the common service round, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 caliber they are virtually identical. The FBI test has worked wonders over the years and all of them are pretty effective so long as you're carrying a modern bullet design such as a Gold Dot. They aren't a rifle nor are they a shotgun but they are far more portable. I personally tend to prefer the heavier bullets since the momentum seems to keep them from deflecting as much when they hit bone but that's based on anecdotal accounts from doctors performing autopsies. I've never seen that tested and proven.

Given that the terminal performance is apparently about equal, and accuracy is also, the next question is how quickly can you take follow up shots? I think most folks find that they have faster split times with the 9mm compared to the 40 S&W or 40 S&W, which equals more shots per unit of time. If the terminal performance is about equal, that would mean that the round which gives you the fastest shots will allow you to inflict the most damage. Lastly we have the question of capacity which is an easy win for the 9mm. It's also worth noting that your mag changes while undergoing an adrenalin dump will not be as smooth and practiced as they are the rest of the time. Lastly, when you consider that the average for self defense shooting seems to be hitting one out of 5 shots, having higher capacity is a big win.

All of these considerations argue for the 9mm.

You sir, have succinctly summed all the caliber war debates well. And this reasoning is why I recently switched from .40 to 9mm.

Bravo.

Have you considered a PA-63 in 9mm Mak? That's my warm weather carry gun. It's a Walther PP clone made in Hungary (NOT a Makarov). Small, light, dead nuts reliable, and cheap. I use Hornady 95gn for CCW and whatever cheap nasty surplus for practice. In the winter I carry my Taurus PT-99. pa63_1.jpg

Well I like the 9mm. I have several 1911's in 45. I love them they are a very SEXY gun. I consider them my trophy wives! When I need to get it done with no worry of reliabilty or wear and tear. I reach for my glock 17 with a 32rnd clip. Even I will eventualy hit something:) I do like the sigs as well. The elite model I wanted only came in .40 though and I do not like .40. I hated glocks till I need one:) I rock the lasermax and just love it. I will not set any range records with it but I am not that skilled anyway. DAMIT I love my 1911's though!

Good luck on what ever you choose. And for those that think 9mm is a pusy round let me shoot you with one and tell me how you feel!

Well I like the 9mm. I have several 1911's in 45. I love them they are a very SEXY gun. I consider them my trophy wives! When I need to get it done with no worry of reliabilty or wear and tear. I reach for my glock 17 with a 32rnd clip. Even I will eventualy hit something:) I do like the sigs as well. The elite model I wanted only came in .40 though and I do not like .40. I hated glocks till I need one:) I rock the lasermax and just love it. I will not set any range records with it but I am not that skilled anyway. DAMIT I love my 1911's though!

Good luck on what ever you choose. And for those that think 9mm is a pusy round let me shoot you with one and tell me how you feel!

I intentionally did not argue 45acp vs 9mm because the OP asked us not to. However, let me shoot you with my .32 or .380 and see how you feel. :haha:

posted in humor do not get panties in wad. :lolol:

Modern hollowpoints and such make a tiger out of this round. The bad press was from full metal jacket ammo zipping through perps. Now penetration can be good too though! I carry a Glock 17 while hiking in non-bear woods with a mag of hollowpoints and 2 backup mags with FMJ ammo. My reason? If out in the boonies and someone is shooting at me under the cover of brush, saplings, FMJ will get him when hollowpoints would be disintegrating. Capacity is also a major plus!

Take a good look at the Sig 229. Great guns the mags are pricey though. I did some security work a while back and my G17 was primary and back up was a G26. Now you said you don't like Glocks, thats OK , but for a CCW gun I would carry my G26 with a standard G17 mag for my reload.( with Arrendondo +5 baseplates of course)

Before my firearms were all stolen, lost, sold on (fill in date here)..

I used to enjoy shooting some 9mm ammo. Although you can carry

a variety of "pisols" (depending on how pissed you are), I found the

PX4 storm was easy to carry, easy to install a fastfire halo sight on,

and held enough rounds that I could eventually hit something with it.

Nothing against the Glock, I just don't care for the feel.

post-11862-1225601789_thumb.jpg

Someone mentioned S&W 5906 and based on my 915 I would second that. High cap and shoots everything with no problem. The only other 9 mm I have is a Walther P1 just because .. it is purty?

If I was in the market for 9mm and glock was out I would look at S&W M&P or CZ. The nice thing about the CZ line is you can buy conversion kits to shoot different calibers.

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate it much. I am going to 9mm because of cost. I prefer to carry .45, big & slow.

And...

I still like the argument that even if a .45 hollow point fails to expand, it's still a .45 caliber hole. :lol:

I don't like to call myself a "hater", I just don't shoot Glocks well, and to me, that means I shouldn't be carrying one.

I got myself into a mess here... I put money down on a 1911, to restock the 1911 they wanted 10% of gun cost or $50 whichever is greater. So I would to have given them $65 to put the 1911 back. So I fondled the Taurus and they let me switch the guns free (I did this before I researched this pistol). So I guess I will still be eating the $65 if I don't like then gun and want to sell it (or more). Damn it.

• 2 months later...

I have a Taurus 24/7 in duo tone 9mm with a 4in barrel.

My carry ammo is federal hydroshock 124 +P+

This ammo groups inside 1in at 21 ft.

And I HATE Glocks TOO. They are just butt ugly but they go bang every time. But I still hate them.

The trigger on the Taurus is unreal. They got it right on this one.

Let us know how it turns out.

Arthur

I can get the same results with an American 180. in .22LR.

And just how many governments and law enforcement agencies have purchased the American-180?

The CIA used them and former Yugoslavia cloned them for their internal security forces.

So the answer is:2 Goverments have used the American 180

CZ-75B, CZ-75 SP01, CZ-75 Compact, CZ-83 (in both 9 Mak and .380), HP-P7, XD-9 Service, XD-9 Tactical, S&W M&P9 and Taurus PT99. Did I miss anyone? Those are all great carry guns. I also have carried SIG 226 , HK USP and HK P2000. Did not like the triggers on those and they tend to be fat in feel too. I am a known Glock hater so I won't even mention those, even though I shoot them well. Have enough choices yet?

Edited by Saigaczech

The 9MM is a good caliber because ammo is cheap. My very first handgun was a Taurus PT92 (17 rounds). I shot the thing so much I broke it. Sent the part back to Taurus with a note attached "please fix me I'm broke" and they did just that! Keep in mind the gun is bulky but fun to shoot. It would not be practical to conceal carry this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_PT92

Happy Shooting!

Yakdung

:)

I love my Glock 9mm. Cheap ammo, plentiful ammo, Hi capacity, easier (for me) to reaquire target and double tap. But I never did like carrying it due to the bulk and lack of a secondary safety because I like it in the waistband. The Glock now stays on the nighstand loaded with hollowpoints and I carry an XD 40 subcompact. I would never be without a 9mm, though.