Surefire 25rd. vs 20rd.

Given that the production at FBMG has temporarily ceased, I've been looking at the Surefire magazines that have been available. I've found both a 25rd and 20rd for around the same price ~$40. My magazine choice is not so much based on the most rounds I can fit, but moreso being cognizant of the fact that usually more rounds equates to more feeding issues, at least from my experience, and the ability to comfortably fit the mag in the gun so it is not protruding and interfering with shooting the gun. Essentially, I want to be able to fire the gun without using the magazine as the front rest. Given these requirements, which is a better choice? 25rd or 20rd?

Yea, my 25-rounder wouldn't feed for shit when fully loaded, even with FMJ. I chopped it down to a 20-rounder, havn't been out to shoot it with the cut magazine, but I'm sure this will help. I would like it to be 100%, even with soft-points. Its easy to cut down, so you can go with the 25-rounder, and if it gives you troubles, you can always cut it.

My 25Rnd Surefires have worked fine so far....But I seldom fill mags to their full capacity, like putting 25-27 rounds in a 30 rnd AK mag, for example. I think it puts to much stress on the spring, or at least you might lose spring tension prematurely. That's why I opted for 25's over 20's in the first place...You get, say, 20 rounds in the mag(which is comparable to most other .308's), but still don't have to top the mag out. Works for me anyway.

So how might a 20rd full loaded perform? Or would it be similar to the 25rd, and you'd have to load it a few rounds under capacity? The price difference is small, but I'd rather buy a 20rd that I know works, than buy a 25rd that functions as an effective 20rd.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the .308 battle rifles of the 20th century you'll see that they all experimented with 25 round or larger mags but couldn't make them run reliably so they stuck with a 20 round mag for general issue. An exception is the Galil and I don't think they ever used the .308 militarily, only sold it commercially. I had one for a while and had an occasional problem with the 25 rounders myself.

I have used the 20 rd Surefire mags for a year. All 10 of my personal mags worked 100% loaded to full capacity everytime. I just started selling the 25rd mags and plan on testing them this week. I will have 20 round Surefire's in stock again later this week.

• 2 weeks later...
I have used the 20 rd Surefire mags for a year. All 10 of my personal mags worked 100% loaded to full capacity everytime. I just started selling the 25rd mags and plan on testing them this week. I will have 20 round Surefire's in stock again later this week.

I was actually just on your site debating between the two (since you're the cheapest I've seen so far). I'd be happy to give you my business once I decide.

I had a few feeding problems with the one 25 rounder I had. Since cutting it down to a 20, it's been perfect.

All the others I have are 20's, and they feed perfectly.

FWIW, it's also a lot easier to get mag pouches that fit the 20 rounder.