Done with my 7.62x39 now onto the 12 gauge

So I got done converting over my 7.62x39 Saiga, and have to say I really enjoyed the process plus the rifle is much more enjoyable to shoot. I did everything inside the receiver, but left the forend alone - I'm not too worried about getting true AK handguards on the thing.

I'm going to do the same thing with my Saiga 12 soon as it shows up, I just ordered it this morning.

The main question is, are there any major difference in the conversion steps between the 7.62x39 and 12 gauge?

I'm assuming I'll have to field strip, drill out the hinge pins, remove the trigger group, drill out the trigger guard (possibly trim a little too), possibly cut out the PG nut hole, re-mount the trigger guard, install the new Tapco trigger group, install the new stock, install the new gas piston, and then go out for a test session - basically the same thing I did with the rifle.

I know Cobra76 did a nice long writeup, but he did a lot more work to that than I intend to do - anything specifically I should watch for or tips specific to the basic S12 conversion?

Also I'm assuming (since I don't have it here to tear down yet) that it's going to take the same trigger group and stock that a regular Saiga or AK would - how about the gas tube?

Also I'm assuming (since I don't have it here to tear down yet) that it's going to take the same trigger group and stock that a regular Saiga or AK would - how about the gas tube?

Crap, just spent some time on the Tromix site and can see they are indeed different - sorry about asking stupid questions...

Crap, just spent some time on the Tromix site and can see they are indeed different - sorry about asking stupid questions...

Conversion process is pretty much the same other than having to cut a pistol grip nut hole and if you use a tapco hammer it would need to be ground down to match the original hammer.