Saiga 7.62x39mm or .308 ?

Hi all,

My name is KAOS THE CAT and this is my first post here at Saiga-12.com.

I have been checking out this site for a week or so and decide it's time to join as I like what I see.

OK, here it is, truthfully, I REALLY want a Springfield Armory Scout Squad M1A with an 18" barrel.

However, the price of the M1A is VERY expensive and it seems that .308/7.62x51 ammo is not only very expensive but perhaps in short supply these days. That being said, I recently had an opportunity to handle the SAIGA Rifle with a 16" barrel. I must say, I rather liked the Rifle especially considering it's price of around four hundred dollars. I am seriously considering just buying a SAIGA and being done with it (at least for the time being lol). However, I don't know weather I should go with the 7.62x39mm (since ammo appears to be cheaper and more plentiful) or go for the 7.62x51mm and hope to find a deal on Mil surplus. This much I know, I want a barrel lenght no longer than eighteen inches. I would very much appreciate your experiences/thoughts/suggetions/recommendations regarding either of these two Rifles.

Ahhhh heck, should I even consider the .223 Saiga ? Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

KAOS THE CAT

I went with the x39 because of it's intended use of a couple hundred yards or less. And the ammo price helps too especially how fast you can unload a 30 round mag. I'm saving my .308 money for something with a serious scope for the long range situations.

Hi EMH,

You have some good points! I am a bit shocked by the price of .308 Ammo today.

Oooh, what barrel lenght is on your x39 ? Are you please with your Saiga ?

Regards,

KAOS THE CAT

I went with the x39 because of it's intended use of a couple hundred yards or less. And the ammo price helps too especially how fast you can unload a 30 round mag. I'm saving my .308 money for something with a serious scope for the long range situations.

x2. I went with the x39 because I already own an SKS, so the ammo is the same, as well as my intended purpose. Just a fun range gun, plinker to destroy cans and what not on the farm, as well as a SHTF rifle. 7.62x39 is dirt cheap, works great for what I use it for, and the recoil is so mild you can shoot it all day long but still has some butt behind it that a .223 seems to be lacking.

With that said, looking at recoil tables and shooting a few hundred rounds through my Saiga in 7.62, I am definitely going to try and pick up a .308 before the next ban hits (assuming we have one).

I would suggest you start with an inexpensive 7.62x39 Saiga conversion (due in part to 1/2 price ammo compared to .223 and even better savings when compared to .308) if you live in an Urban/Suburban area. If you live in a 300+ yard range area (Arizona, N.M. or some such rural area) then definately go with the .308. If your intended purpose to defend against known threats from an identifiable distance, then get the 7.62x39. If your intended purpose is to do 500 yard work then get the M1A1. Marines have done 500 yd shots with these for many, many years with iron sights getting 10 out of 10 with practice. It kind of depends on your age as well. I could shoot much better in my 20's than I can now. Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

If you were in the market for a Springfield Armory Scout Squad M1A, then I would think you have enough cash to get the Saiga x39 & .308 and some ammo. If you are getting them from the same source maybe they cut you a deal on both.