Surefire's 15 round mags

I got my Surefire 15-rnd mags and took one of for some limited testing a couple of days ago. The weather here has been very cold and wet. It was already dark but I really wanted to see how they worked. I ran 45-rns of steel cased Silver Bear slugs through it. No problems at all. All right! First test run was very possitive. This mag is slick. A Saiga-410 with a reliable 15-rnd mag is awesome. Getting a good feeling after the first test. I will be shooting a lot more rounds through them, but got a feeling I will be getting more. :super:

100_0936.jpg

Factory 4-rnd .410 mag, Surefire 15-rnd mag, AGP 10-rnd 12 gauge mag.

100_0937.jpg

If the Silver Bear slugs worked fine is it safe to assume that the Barnaul slugs would also work fine with these new Surefire mags? Has anyone else tested their Surefire 15 round magazines with Barnaul slugs?

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine in yesterday and loaded up GoldenBear #5 shotshells (see "Different Shell Sizes" topic for photo). 45 rounds with not a single hitch. The magazine also fits very nicely so didn't have to do any carving on it. Nice mag!

Yes they are very nice!

That's great news about the Golden Bear. Phil was telling me, or maybe it was Greg...that the Silver Bear performed better than the Golden. I haven't tried any Golden bear yet but the old school Barnauls had a few issues. I'm going to give my 410 a good cleaning and try them again.

The mags fit and look great though.

• 5 weeks later...

I forgot to update this topic with my findings on these.

The first round I fired out of my Surefire 15rder jammed on me. And then, never again. It feeds Winchester, Federal, Remington, Silver Bear, and Golden Bear. Fantastic.

Edited by Twinsen

I loaded 10 or so rounds of Remington, then topped off with other brands and tried firing the top 5 or so rounds over and over. I probably fired 20-25 golden bear buckshot rounds with only that first initial jam, all of them with a full mag of Remington underneath them as filler.

Of 2 that I bought from CSS, one would not even go in the gun, too wide at the back, had to file it to get it in, then had to file it to get it to lock up, the second one would go in and lock, but both of them will not feed reliably, especially the last 2 rounds, they hang in the mag. Held a loaded 15 round up next to a factory Russky 10 round mag and the shells look to be sitting about 3/16" low, may explain why the shells are hitting the bottom of the breach. Also found that the follower wants to tilt forward. I took the factory mag and the surefire apart, laid the spring and followers beside each other and noticed that the way that the surefire spring sits under the front, leaves about a 1/4" gap between it and follower, the factory mag does not, did a slight mod to one mag and all 15 rounds hand cycled without any deforming of the shell at the breach, but when test fired, 4 rounds, jam, 3 rounds, jam, 6 rounds, then the bolt rode over the top of the next shell. I think that a tiny more will need to be taken off the sides to relieve what may be squeezing of the mag, which the spring can not overcome due to less tension. The weird thing about the jams was that the shells where turned sideways, hung in the bolt, and there was already a shell in the chamber, so the jams may not have been caused by the mag. Any suggestions on the jams would be appreciated. (winchester super X #4 shot, with gas setting on 1). I also bought some Nobel Sport 3" #4 shot from RRARMS.COM and on the first shot, when the bolt came back, the shell stayed in the chamber, after 4 tries, I said screw it, but they fed better than the Winchester.???????????

The first round I fired out of my Surefire 15rder jammed on me. And then, never again. It feeds Winchester, Federal, Remington, Silver Bear, and Golden Bear. Fantastic.

I went shooting today for the first time with my .410...the Winchester flew through it no problem....the first magazine of Federal jammed about every third round...then I couldn't even get the magazine in with the Federal...it was sitting too high in the magazine and I couldn't even get the magazine in. Who knows?:)

I went shooting today for the first time with my .410...the Winchester flew through it no problem....the first magazine of Federal jammed about every third round...then I couldn't even get the magazine in with the Federal...it was sitting too high in the magazine and I couldn't even get the magazine in. Who knows?:)

I tried loading the Federal in the 15 rd Mag. and I can only get three rounds in it and it gets stuck....I then used the Winchester and got all 15 in no problem. The Federal has a taller cap and the plastic is ribbed. The Winchester is smooth and has a shorter cap. Perhaps this is the cause?

I'm curious how these Barnaul zinc hulled shells work in the Surefire...any one try them. Don't want to spend that kind of money without knowing they will work.

http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

Kind of answered my own question http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...&hl=barnaul search is a nice function:)

Russionblood, have you tried the Barnaul buckshot in the 15 rounders?

I just put 200 rounds through my two new Surefire 15s. #6 shot, #7.5 shot, 000 buck and slugs. All functioned 100%. No failures. All were US-manufactured 3" plastic shells. The slugs did put on a show with quite a bit of muzzle flash.

It is a royal pain to load the mag on a closed bolt, but it works fine if you open the bolt, lock in the mag, then release the bolt.

I just put 200 rounds through my two new Surefire 15s. #6 shot, #7.5 shot, 000 buck and slugs. All functioned 100%. No failures. All were US-manufactured 3" plastic shells. The slugs did put on a show with quite a bit of muzzle flash.

It is a royal pain to load the mag on a closed bolt, but it works fine if you open the bolt, lock in the mag, then release the bolt.

Its really odd, my 15 mag just doesn't like the Federal. They just don't load correctly and sit at an angle that prevents me from even latching the magazine in place. If I do jam it in and latch it, the bolt won't close. The Winchester work great though.

Its really odd, my 15 mag just doesn't like the Federal. They just don't load correctly and sit at an angle that prevents me from even latching the magazine in place. If I do jam it in and latch it, the bolt won't close. The Winchester work great though.

I shot some Federal birdshot today, no slugs or buck.

I did have some trouble latching the mag in place with any ammo, but only when the bolt was closed.

I was going to compare the feed angle and pressure against a stock mag and see what was the cause.

I'll let you know what I find.

Received my two from CSS today. Great service as usual. The card with the mags says for 3" only. Has anyone tried

2-1/2"? Curious why they would not work.

They had to move the feed lips back on the 15's far enough to allow for the Barnual to come up faster which makes some of the 2.5" jam on the corner of the top guide.

The gen 1 10rd mags feed 2.5" all day in my 2 410's. I keep a handful around for the kids to shoot.

Greg

Whoa, the 10 rounders feed 2.5"?! Has anybody else had them work with 2.5" shells?!

Both of my guns were stock when I tried them. Fed perfect everytime. They are now modified snd still feed perfect.

I guess we can't have everything. Either it feeds the steel hull and not the 2.5" or feeds the 2.5" and not the steel. I have few of each for myself.

Greg

I haven't tried the Federal yet, but the Winchester 000 is great in the 15-rounders.

unfortunately Golden Bear #4 buck was a big disappointment. It jammed every time if I loaded more than 7 shells.

I'm going to load/unload them several times to see if they "loosen up".

• 2 weeks later...
Not to sound like a smartass but are you sure you don't have the safety on? :unsure:

I just checked mine and it opens fine with the mag in there.

No. Safety not on

Bolt will only open about a inch

It looks like the bolt is hitting the front of the follower not letting the bolt turn the hole way

If i push down on the follower just a little bit the bolt will open

I removed the follower and then it will open

I think the follower is coming up to much or is to thick on the sides preventing the bolt from tuning to unlock

Edited by RUDY850
I just got a Surefire's 15 round mag and I'm having a problem.

The bolt will close on a empty mag but the bolt wont open on a empty mag

Anyone run in to this problem before

While test fitting my 15-rounders I encountered a hint of this.

My bolt would open with an empty mag inserted but there was a noticable hang-up when the bolt had finished turning (corresponding to about an inch of opening). If I did it REALLY SLOWLY it even hung up a time or two. But if I moved the bolt with any speed at all it just flew right over the bump. I doubt that this will manifest when firing, I think my bolt cycles faster when things go bang...

Not to sound like a smartass but are you sure you don't have the safety on? :unsure:

No. Safety not on

It looks like the bolt is hitting the front of the follower not letting the bolt turn the hole way

I think the follower is coming up to much or is to thick on the sides preventing the bolt from tuning to unlock

I had this problem with my 15-round mag. The problem was a plastic burr on the top left front of the follower. Couldn't pull the bolt back at all, and it was hard to load the mag into the well with the bolt closed. I took off the cover and removed the spring assembly and found I could pull the bolt back. I cycled the bolt several times w/o the spring in then examined the follower. This cycling of the bolt had worn smooth the top left corner of the follower (facing the chamber). Put the spring assembly back in and the cover back on, and it worked great. Shot 50 rounds through it a week later with no jams.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Edited by saigafan2008

No. Safety not on

I had this problem with my 15-round mag. The problem was a plastic burr on the top left front of the follower. Couldn't pull the bolt back at all, and it was hard to load the mag into the well with the bolt closed. I took off the cover and removed the spring assembly and found I could pull the bolt back. I cycled the bolt several times w/o the spring in then examined the follower. This cycling of the bolt had worn smooth the top left corner of the follower (facing the chamber). Put the spring assembly back in and the cover back on, and it worked great. Shot 50 rounds through it a week later with no jams.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Got it fixed No burr on mine but I slightly rounded the left front of the follower with a file and that did it.Thanks