Norinco SAS-12 Magazine Fed 12 Gauge (pic)

I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but I thought I would post a pic if anyone is interested.

Here's a Norinco SAS-12, 18" barrel, detachable magazine 12 gauge. The magazine and chamber are only set-up to run 2.75" shells and with very slight modification, the magazine holds 4 rounds and can be inserted with the bolt closed.

It could be set-up with a folding stock and pistol grip, but the U.S. parts count would require you to manafacture some more parts. Since the magazine is steel, it would not be problem to weld two together to get the capacity to eight or so.

Retail is under $200.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=241866

post-2-1105906036.jpg

Edited by TonyRumore

I think the general consensus is that the gun is a POS, but some of that opinion stems from the gun wholesaleing for about a 100 bucks. I swear, if some of the cheap guns simply had a $600 price tag on them, they would all of a sudden move out of the POS catagory by the armchair gun experts. I haven't formed an opinion on this thing yet. The finish is certainly better than a Saiga. No Bar-B-Que paint on this thing.

Yes, it looks like the magazine will only fit this shotgun. But the way it is made, it wouldn't take much to weld an extension skirt to the existing mag to add capacity or weld two together. Even though they are not really curved, you could simply cut one at an angle to create a "joggle", allowing the rounds to feed. At $110, you could get into an ACE folder for practically free compared to the price of the base SAIGA, which I hear is going up soon. My money is still with the Saiga however. Getting this thing into a desirable configuration is still up in the air.

Here's another pic......Bar-B-Que paint added.

post-2-1105911392.jpg

• Like 1

those look sort of cool...

i guess for the money its not that bad of a price

i wonder if some of the aftermarket shotty stox and pg's would fit

that would maybe be something to look into.....

it could yield interesting results with some hicap mag action

how the hell do u cock the bolt? is there a handle on the side of the bolt?

i cant see it

:unsure:

I've seen those with bigger mags and ghost rings before. I never found mags anywhere so I counted it out. I posted an inquiry on this site for that gun a while back, here it is.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=1501&hl=

A couple people on here have em.

I wouldnt mind owning one one day just for the hell of it POS or not, I have a thing for unique scatterguns. I'd be willing to bet one of those ATI multi-shotgun model PG stocks could be modified to fit it, I fit an old air shotgun with one.

Edited by chris410

Bad news for those of you who were looking to get one of these from S.O.G., they are out of the SAS12 and don't know when they will receive more. Since my favorite (read, cheap transfers) dealer pretty much only buys from SOG, AIM, and CDNN, I would appear to be out of luck...... I know AIM doesn't carry these, anyone know if CDNN does?

Those are on sale at Dunhams for $129.00. Mag only holds 3 rounds from what I saw when I looked at them. I was not impressed.

One thing about Saigas is that AK parts is AK parts.

Somthing breaks in one of Norinco shotguns, (and one would expect it to at this price) then you would have to toss the whole gun.

Edited by zipgun
Well rats, thanks for the tip on Dunhams, I called the one down the street from me and though they do carry it, their price is $179.00... :( Got a link to a flyer or anything showing the lower price? Thanks.

No sorry. I went in the local Dunhams looking for the Saiga. I saw the Norinco for the low price, took a look at it but didn't think anything else about it. They had a number of guns marked way down. I think they were clearing them out.

You sure it's a Norinco? I thought it was another Chinese plant.

Iwould not say their finish is better than Saiga, actually it seemed kind of crappy. On the other hand, I have always preferred the standard shotgun shape even for detachable mags, even if planning to add P-grip and the like.

Now what would be REALLY interesting would be if anyone could come up with a shotgun upper for the AR-10. I'm sure the threat of a DD classification due to the USAS-12 scares companies from making them, but if it was just an upper it would be less risky.

I took the SAS-12 apart this morning, and that extractor spring is just WAY too light for my taste. I am surprised the gun will function at all with such a light extractor spring. Anyway, I opened up the spring bore and installed a very heavy duty spring behind the extractor. It has some serious tension on it now, but still clips over the cartridge rim without a problem. I'll test fire it shortly, but I'll bet that fixes the ejection problems I experienced yesterday.

Lack of extractor tension is the number one problem with most self loading arms of all types. I am surprised that this problem still pops up today, but hell, it only took Colt 35 years to figure out their extractor spring was too light on the M16.

• 3 years later...

I kinda like the looks of this weapon... If I can get one for a decent price then i'll certainley give it a go.

Also need to get myself a saiga 12...my s.308 is lonely.

can anyone point me in the right direction as far as getting one of these SAS jobbers? For the price im interested to some degree.

• 3 weeks later...
you could almost make a BAR clone SBS out of it, like the one Bonne and Clyde used.

Thats funny, because I have an OWS SPS-12 which is also a chinese shotgun, similar to this one, but I always thought it looked like a BAR.

DSCN4680.jpg

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread (especially as my first post) but I just picked up one of these and all my internet searches tend to keep coming back here :)

TonyRumore - as far as the internet goes...you're the authority on this shotgun.

Im quite interested in the changes you've made to yours and if you were ever able to fab up some bigger mags, or just extensions for the existing mag.

If you aren't too busy as well:

What was the mod you made to the mag to make it hold 4 shells? I figured it was just to shorten up the height on the follower.

What spring did you swap in for the stock extractor spring? I had one or two extraction issues yesterday at the range with super light loads (which is likely the culprit) but it can't hurt to upgrade :)

Thanks!

ps: does anyone know if the omega sps-12 mags fit this shotgun?

I sold the gun awhile back and never did weld up any mags. To get the 3rd mag to hold 4, I just ground the follower skirt a bit shorter. I have no idea what spring I used on the extractor. I just dug through my parts trays until I found one that would work.

Tony

I sold the gun awhile back and never did weld up any mags. To get the 3rd mag to hold 4, I just ground the follower skirt a bit shorter. I have no idea what spring I used on the extractor. I just dug through my parts trays until I found one that would work.

Tony

Do you still have the rear trunion block you made for this? If so how much?

• 2 months later...