Muzzle Device Options?

Factory Russian Flash hider all the way...

Clean and simple.

I like that. I could add that to my S12 without concern for 922r. And here I was going to vote for pie....I still like pie....

No, you can not. It will add yet another Evil Foriegn part that you must compensate for. OR, you could add this brake from MAA.

It looks almost exacty like it, is cheaper, and made in the USA!

Thanks Nathan! :D

So you are saying that I can't replace the factory Russian muzzle nut with a factory Russian flashider? That's like saying that I can't buy more Russian mags or (in my case) Taiwanese mags. Or like saying that I can't replace the factory Russian Monte stock with a factory Russian skeleton stock. My understanding of 922r is that my S12 would still be considered an importable, foriegn-made, sporting gun. It currently has ZERO U.S. made parts. If I add even one, then I have to play the parts-count game. I can't ADD any foriegn made features, but I can replace one for another. Right?

BTW, I haven't and don't plan to purchase one....I just like the looks of it.

Edited by TheDarkHorse
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're not wrong. All Polychokes are marked "Deluxe", (they're old-school that way ), and they are an amazingly versatile tool. Granted, dedicated Winchokes may work marginally better, but not enou

It is the exact same picture without the outer background... look between the slots, you can SEE the cardboard.

Posted Images

Clean and simple.

I like that. I could add that to my S12 without concern for 922r. And here I was going to vote for pie....I still like pie....

No, you can not. It will add yet another Evil Foriegn part that you must compensate for. OR, you could add this brake from MAA.

So you are saying that I can't replace the factory Russian muzzle nut with a factory Russian flashider? That's like saying that I can't buy more Russian mags or (in my case) Taiwanese mags. Or like saying that I can't replace the factory Russian Monte stock with a factory Russian skeleton stock. My understanding of 922r is that my S12 would still be considered an importable, foriegn-made, sporting gun. It currently has ZERO U.S. made parts. If I add even one, then I have to play the parts-count game. I can't ADD any foriegn made features, but I can replace one for another. Right?

A muzzle protector is not the same as a muzzle brake/flash hider

Clean and simple.

Since muzzle brakes don't do dick on a 12-gauge, I chose Polychoke. I've a Polychoke II on my S-12 and at the very least it tightens shot patterns. What's your "breacher muzzle brake" done for you lately? Jack shit? That's what I thought! :lol:

Your absolutly right!!.....except mine works :rolleyes:

post-8026-1237489025_thumb.jpg

Since muzzle brakes don't do dick on a 12-gauge, I chose Polychoke. I've a Polychoke II on my S-12 and at the very least it tightens shot patterns. What's your "breacher muzzle brake" done for you lately? Jack shit? That's what I thought! :lol:

Well, my statement is still correct. Your unique brake is not a "breacher" cylindrical brake, which is what I was talking about.

As for your brake... when you decide to make more and sell em for ~$100 or less, let me know! :lol:

Till then I think I'm stickin with the Polychoke when I go shootin, and just the thread protector when the gun's at home, (to shorten length).

Well, my statement is still correct. Your unique brake is not a "breacher" cylindrical brake, which is what I was talking about.

As for your brake... when you decide to make more and sell em for ~$100 or less, let me know! :lol:

Till then I think I'm stickin with the Polychoke when I go shootin, and just the thread protector when the gun's at home, (to shorten length).

You are correct, mine is just a novelty, something different

Poly's are great and really do help

As far as 100 or less....most people just don't have a clue about material cost and spindle time + hardcoat anodizing

thanks for the polite response :super:

You are correct, mine is just a novelty, something different

Poly's are great and really do help

As far as 100 or less....most people just don't have a clue about material cost and spindle time + hardcoat anodizing

thanks for the polite response :super:

Oh, I'm sure the materials and labor involved in making one of those brakes would put it well above ~$100 in price, hence the " :lol: " I stuck in there. Assuming the design really does significantly reduce recoil and muzzle climb, and threads onto the barrel without permanent mods, I would probably be willing to pay more than that.. but I'd have to think about it, as I've already poured a lot more than the gun cost into aftermarket/conversion parts for my S-12. These guns are never-ending projects with fairly expensive parts.. good thing they're fun as hell. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic
I'm comparing options for the muzzle device of the S12 I'm going to convert. I've got a factory threaded barrel, so I'm going to add some type of US-made muzzle device to make sure I'm on the legal side of things.

My options as I see them are:

Tromix Shark Brake - Cool looking, and will provide some recoil management. How sharp are the points? Will it be snagging on everything? I like it, but it seems a tad aggressive for my tastes. $85 from MAA (backorder, should be available next week or so)

Tromix Flash Hider - No recoil management, but also snag-free. $85 from MAA, available now.

Polychoke - No recoil management, but allows for pattern control. $99 from Dinzag, but Dinzag has a stated 2-4 week processing & delivery timeframe.

Am I missing any other options?

Any opinions of these?

I voted for pie :wub: . I did receive my Chaos warthog yesterday tho and I'll have a range report on it tomorrow. Not really expecting much in terms of muzzle control but it looks very mean. I'll try to take some vids comparing with and without. I'll be using my crummy video on the digital so I'm not sure how it'll turn out. Also I'll be using 2 3/4 00Buck.

I have a poly choke on one gun for hunting or shooting at anything I really want to hit.

I'm too worried about flash or muzzle jump or recoil, so my other two guns have these.......

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=440

I wanted something that wouldn't lengthen the barrel very much because I can't own SBS's

(stupid state of washington). I did not think I would be breaching any doors in the near future, but I still wanted

something that would breech a forehead or other body parts... :devil: These have nice sharp points, and

I'm sure a with a little twist on impact, it would hurt a little....

Muzzle brakes (it's "BRAKE", not "break".) actually increase muzzle flash, and muzzle blast to bystanders.

Nevertheless, if you MUST hang something on the end of your shotgun, it's marginally more productive to choose a brake rather than a flash hider for a shotgun. Military rifles usually have flash hiders, but one of the reasons they are usually so effective is that the powder in military rifle ammo is treated with a flash inhibitor that contributes to the effectiveness of a flash hider. Ordinary shotgun ammo has no flash inhibitor in the powder, so a flash hider is nowhere near as effective on a shotgun.

Yes, a flash hider would seem to be a good idea for a tactical shotgun, but unfortunately, shotguns don't lend themselves to taking advantage of them.

If you must put something on the end of your shotgun to make it even longer, and more muzzle heavy, go for a muzzle brake. It will make you even more visible at night though, and as written here in other threads, is, again, not as effective as on a rifle.

Bottom line is that neither a brake nor a FH lend themselves to shotgun use, and they make the gun longer and more muzzle heavy.

For some however, the "cool factor" outweighs reality and practicality.

To each his own.

Shark brake on 19" barrel I can't tell difference. I I have one w/ & one w/o I was shooting at same time. But w/ short barrel it might make big diff.

I prefer brake over flash hider b/c for CQB, you should have a light anyway. I mean, after your first shot, you won't be secret any more any way, so may as well spotlight & blast away.

A choke would be nice.

Can you get a intermal threads & external threads concurrently so you can run a shark & a choke tube at the same time?

As long as the attachment that makes the barrel over the magic 18" is permanently fixed in place, you are fine.

Threaded attachments on a non-SBS sub-18" gun...not so good.

If some ATF money can put your barrel in a vize & unthread the muzzle device w/ a 3' long pipe wrench w/o destroying the barrel then you are in big trouble. The muzzle device has to be spot welded in place by someone who knows what they are doing. Don't even think about soldering it.

Thank you Captain obvious. :rolleyes:

I have the Russian Flash Hider an I am in compliance with 922.

I don't understand why you wound not be in compliance.

As long as you have replaced 5 parts you are good to go.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying an adaptor so I could use the selection of chokes from my hunting shotty. I'll get better results out of controlling the pattern than breaching doors or attempting to hide the flash.

I get about a 20% recoil reduction on mine and definiately reduced muzzle climbe. My Kobra sight used to change sight settings due to the recoil forces on the setting switch. Once I installed my Shark brake this problem stopped. My brake is also canted to the right due to the fact that the red thread locker siezed short of me getting a 12:00 timing. I descided to leave it the way it is just in case a 11:00 cant will reduce muzzle climb further. I don't really know if it does, but it is working great so far, so why change it.

Why in the hell would you use red thread locker on a muzzle brake? :blink:

Don't you want to be able to remove it for cleaning etc? You don't need to thread-lock a muzzle brake.

The Tromix Shark brake does require red thread locker. I don't need to take it off to clean it.

Don't you want to be able to remove it for cleaning etc? You don't need to thread-lock a muzzle brake.

The Tromix Shark brake does require red thread locker. I don't need to take it off to clean it.

O I C. I didn't know that. My Polychoke uses a wrench to tighten it securely. I also like to be able to easily remove muzzle devices, (whatever they may be), for cleaning. You can do a more thorough job that way. I will admit that the Polychoke doesn't look as "cool", but it's infinitely more functional, (unless you're shooting locks/hinges out with your S-12 on a regular basis, and I am not).

To each his own.. but to me, having to use thread locker to adequately secure a muzzle device is a definite strike against that device.

O I C. I didn't know that. My Polychoke uses a wrench to tighten it securely. I also like to be able to easily remove muzzle devices, (whatever they may be), for cleaning. You can do a more thorough job that way. I will admit that the Polychoke doesn't look as "cool", but it's infinitely more functional, (unless you're shooting locks/hinges out with your S-12 on a regular basis, and I am not).

To each his own.. but to me, having to use thread locker to adequately secure a muzzle device is a definite strike against that device.

I am all about recoil reduction. I don't know how well the polychoke does it, but the Shark brake really suprised me.

I am all about recoil reduction. I don't know how well the polychoke does it, but the Shark brake really suprised me.

Cool. Glad you like it since you own it and have now made it a pain in the ass to remove from your gun. :D

Cool. Glad you like it since you own it and have now made it a pain in the ass to remove from your gun. :D

Did you find a Kobra red dot that takes the puck batteries that you were looking for earlier?

Did you find a Kobra red dot that takes the puck batteries that you were looking for earlier?

Nope, not yet. Why?

Nope, not yet. Why?

I have shot about 500rds using my Kobra. The AA batteries do get a little dented from the recoil, but no other damage or strain is visible. You might be OK with just the latest version.

Nope, not yet. Why?

I have shot about 500rds using my Kobra. The AA batteries do get a little dented from the recoil, but no other damage or strain is visible. You might be OK with just the latest version.

Thanks for the range report, man. I appreciate it, and am impressed that you even remembered that I'd posted about the different Kobra models.

However, at this point, I've pretty much decided that my S-12 doesn't need an optic. I've got the Krebs combat shotgun sights on her, and they work very, very well. They also don't need batteries. :D I'm undecided as to whether to even buy an optic for my SGL20. With XS AK Express sights mounted, (just sighted in the other day), an optic seems less necessary. Also, I don't want to start using a red dot as a crutch, as some do. I want to be very quick and natural with irons; even if they are aftermarket irons.

I'm still thinking about it, but if I buy a red dot, it'll probably be for the rifle. The S-12 just doesn't need one for the range at which it's effective.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Nope, not yet. Why?

Thanks for the range report, man. I appreciate it, and am impressed that you even remembered that I'd posted about the different Kobra models.

However, at this point, I've pretty much decided that my S-12 doesn't need an optic. I've got the Krebs combat shotgun sights on her, and they work very, very well. They also don't need batteries. :D I'm undecided as to whether to even buy an optic for my SGL20. With XS AK Express sights mounted, (just sighted in the other day), an optic seems less necessary. Also, I don't want to start using a red dot as a crutch, as some do. I want to be very quick and natural with irons; even if they are aftermarket irons.

I'm still thinking about it, but if I buy a red dot, it'll probably be for the rifle. The S-12 just doesn't need one for the range at which it's effective.

At lease you don't have to worry about batteries or weight. However, it is good to be able to shoot in pitch dark.

I voted for pie :wub: . I did receive my Chaos warthog yesterday tho and I'll have a range report on it tomorrow. Not really expecting much in terms of muzzle control but it looks very mean. I'll try to take some vids comparing with and without. I'll be using my crummy video on the digital so I'm not sure how it'll turn out. Also I'll be using 2 3/4 00Buck.

You'll will be surprised about the muzzle control and it is extremely mean, the Warthog is tough as rock.