Muzzle Device Options?

I voted for pie :wub: . I did receive my Chaos warthog yesterday tho and I'll have a range report on it tomorrow. Not really expecting much in terms of muzzle control but it looks very mean. I'll try to take some vids comparing with and without. I'll be using my crummy video on the digital so I'm not sure how it'll turn out. Also I'll be using 2 3/4 00Buck.

You'll will be surprised about the muzzle control and it is extremely mean, the Warthog is tough as rock.

1+ warthog gud stuff

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're not wrong. All Polychokes are marked "Deluxe", (they're old-school that way ), and they are an amazingly versatile tool. Granted, dedicated Winchokes may work marginally better, but not enou

It is the exact same picture without the outer background... look between the slots, you can SEE the cardboard.

Posted Images

Factory Russian Flash hider all the way...

skotts_guns_1421.jpg

Clean and simple.

I like that. I could add that to my S12 without concern for 922r. And here I was going to vote for pie....I still like pie....

No, you can not. It will add yet another Evil Foriegn part that you must compensate for. OR, you could add this brake from MAA.

It looks almost exacty like it, is cheaper, and made in the USA!

Thanks Nathan! :D

It is the exact same picture without the outer background... look between the slots, you can SEE the cardboard.

• Like 1

The picture, or the FH in question is most definitely US made by DPH Arms. I have one. sKott also has has one, along with a factory Russian original. They are very nice....as are the ones they made for the 410 Saiga.

This is the same US version carried by MAA.

http://dpharms.com/saiga-us-made-russian-1...der-p-1044.html

Why is the Tromix Flash Hider $86 and all the other Saiga US made 10 slot flash Hiders range from $44.95-$50?

How does Chaos flash hider at $47 compare to the rest of the flash hidding competitors? Also SGM Tactical offers one for $39.95 any comments on that one?

I think I will keep a flash hider on for HD and get a polychoke for the range. As easy as a twist cap! :smoke:

You would still need access to a lathe, but as I recall, Tony (Tromix) did a press fit using bearing locker (don't know the p/n on the locking compound but I would assume it's a 3M/loc-tite product) on his competition build to allow internal screw in chokes and a muzzle device. If he felt good enough about it to put it on that gun then the integrity has to be good. I think it's probably a better option than anything held in place by set screws.

Why is the Tromix Flash Hider $86 and all the other Saiga US made 10 slot flash Hiders range from $44.95-$50?

Tromix is the premier manufacturer of Saiga stuff, being in the game longer than most of the competition. He has an extremely good reputation among firearm afficionados (sp?) which means he can pretty much charge whatever he wants cause people (like me) will pay for the best available product.

Hell...I've wondered why the others are $45-$50. I can find all kinds of flashiders and brakes for my AK's for 1/3 that price. Damn, I just bought a AMD 65 brake recently for $10. The most I have paid for a muzzle attachment was $25. I guess I'll wait until prices are more in line with all other AK accessories. :rolleyes:

Tromix is the premier manufacturer of Saiga stuff, being in the game longer than most of the competition. He has an extremely good reputation among firearm afficionados (sp?) which means he can pretty much charge whatever he wants cause people (like me) will pay for the best available product.

There's a sucker born every day. Tony himself called guys like you "Valley Bitches" right here on this forum. Yet, the insanity continues. :lolol:

• 1 month later...
Apart from a visit to a gunsmith, what options are out there for us folks with very early S-12's with non-threaded barrels?

How to fix it? Glue(Loctide) and clamp joint or make thread.

Edited by ufo
  • 3 weeks later...

Hell...I've wondered why the others are $45-$50. I can find all kinds of flashiders and brakes for my AK's for 1/3 that price. Damn, I just bought a AMD 65 brake recently for $10. The most I have paid for a muzzle attachment was $25. I guess I'll wait until prices are more in line with all other AK accessories.

Our pricing is based on what it costs to have the parts made. If you ever get a chance to see our stuff, or talk to anyone that has it, you'll know why it costs more than the average.

Also our waranty is second to none in the business; Tony stands behind his product 100%.

As far as being "more in line with all other AK accessories"....LOL you know you are buying Hungarian military surplus, don't hold your breath expecting us to try and compete price-wise. The Saiga-12 is still a fringe market.

AK builder winchoke adapter as sold here by cobra. I like mine. If I were irresponsable or rich, I would go for the dreadnought midbarrel comp in a heartbeat to add to my winchoke adapter. That has to be the coolest way to spend money I have seen here.

Why would that make you irresponsable?

AK builder winchoke adapter as sold here by cobra. I like mine. If I were irresponsable or rich, I would go for the dreadnought midbarrel comp in a heartbeat to add to my winchoke adapter. That has to be the coolest way to spend money I have seen here.

Why would that make you irresponsable?

Mostly because it costs $200. Plus you have to have a smith install it unless you have some fancy machinery. I'd rather spend the 250+ on a drum. I do wonder how much that thing really works though.

Hell...I've wondered why the others are $45-$50. I can find all kinds of flashiders and brakes for my AK's for 1/3 that price. Damn, I just bought a AMD 65 brake recently for $10. The most I have paid for a muzzle attachment was $25. I guess I'll wait until prices are more in line with all other AK accessories.

Our pricing is based on what it costs to have the parts made. If you ever get a chance to see our stuff, or talk to anyone that has it, you'll know why it costs more than the average.

Also our waranty is second to none in the business; Tony stands behind his product 100%.

As far as being "more in line with all other AK accessories"....LOL you know you are buying Hungarian military surplus, don't hold your breath expecting us to try and compete price-wise. The Saiga-12 is still a fringe market.

You are correct in the S-12 being a fringe market. You are also honest in your inability to compete with mil-surplus pricing. And being a (retired) machinist, I know how material and labor costs are generated. I am not, however, holding my breath for any manufacturer. The free market will take care of that for me. There are already new MFG's getting into this fringe and offering good products at a good price. In the end, price will dictate the market. There's a whole lot more Tahoe's on the road than there are Escalade's. Wouldn't you agree?

I converted my own 12. I modified the G2 myself, reworked and reused the Shepard's crook, and mounted the TG (The one Shannon sells). The conversion cost me roughly $100 over the cost of the 12. It's not a "Tromix" but I wasn't going for that. I wanted a more traditional AK look and feel.

Look at Promag. They introduced a 10rd mag that looks better than the current offerings from two other "proven" MFG's and is almost half the price. With the Gen. 2 mag, they are now proving reliable. They will end up outselling the others because of price. The other two will continue to sell, but more people will flock to the lower priced mags that look good and work.

It's the same principle that applies when it comes to how we purchase our ammo. Best bang for the buck.

You are correct in the S-12 being a fringe market. You are also honest in your inability to compete with mil-surplus pricing. And being a (retired) machinist, I know how material and labor costs are generated. I am not, however, holding my breath for any manufacturer. The free market will take care of that for me. There are already new MFG's getting into this fringe and offering good products at a good price. In the end, price will dictate the market. There's a whole lot more Tahoe's on the road than there are Escalade's. Wouldn't you agree?

The volume of cheap stuff well exceeds the volume of quality stuff in most markets. Price only defines markets, it doesn't dictate.

It's just not our business model. We make the best, and business is good.

It's the same principle that applies when it comes to how we purchase our ammo. Best bang for the buck.

Well, everybody wants "value" but people's perceptions of quality vary widely.

As long as some guys want the best, (and when it comes to guns some always will) Tromix will continue to lead the way.

Hell yeah poly choke. I actually think it made a difference on recoil too. Three inch mags are still kinda stiff though

Yep, the polychoke affects felt recoil. It increases it, on most of the settings. I don't mind that, though. The polychoke's advantages far outweigh its disadvantages.

• 2 months later...

I converted my own 12. I modified the G2 myself, reworked and reused the Shepard's crook, and mounted the TG (The one Shannon sells). The conversion cost me roughly $100 over the cost of the 12. It's not a "Tromix" but I wasn't going for that. I wanted a more traditional AK look and feel.

Look at Promag. They introduced a 10rd mag that looks better than the current offerings from two other "proven" MFG's and is almost half the price. With the Gen. 2 mag, they are now proving reliable. They will end up outselling the others because of price. The other two will continue to sell, but more people will flock to the lower priced mags that look good and work.

With all due respect i disagree...you can now pick up 12 round surefire mags for less then ProMags...then you can cut them down to 10 or 8 round.

I just stopped in to check on this thread only to realize I got called a sucker(for buying Tromix, no less)almost five months ago. Now I'm slightly miffed.

:scorn:

How about this: You do what you want with your money (asshole) and I'll do the same. I don't have to justify shit to you. You asked why it was so expensive, I answered. Just go buy the $40 brake and you can put it on your gun along with a bunch of affordable (ie: shitty) Tapco crap. :ded:

Man, I usually don't like to use harsh words but for some reason that shit really pissed me off. And here I am five months late to the comeback. *sigh*

Universal choke adapter from Cobra Customs! TIGHTER Chokes increase back pressure and help with under gassed guns plus they tighten up patterns. ONLY ADDS 1.5 INCHES TO YER BARREL unless you mount a non flush fitting choke (I prefer Carlson's extended .640" turkey choke. cycles 1oz winchester cheap stuff!!) RECOIL REDUCTION IS FOR GIRLY MEN.

• 4 weeks later...
Why in the hell would you use red thread locker on a muzzle brake? :blink:

Don't you want to be able to remove it for cleaning etc? You don't need to thread-lock a muzzle brake.

The Tromix Shark brake does require red thread locker. I don't need to take it off to clean it.

O I C. I didn't know that. My Polychoke uses a wrench to tighten it securely. I also like to be able to easily remove muzzle devices, (whatever they may be), for cleaning. You can do a more thorough job that way. I will admit that the Polychoke doesn't look as "cool", but it's infinitely more functional, (unless you're shooting locks/hinges out with your S-12 on a regular basis, and I am not).

To each his own.. but to me, having to use thread locker to adequately secure a muzzle device is a definite strike against that device.

The reason that you have to use thread locker is so that the brake's ports line up properly. The threads on the barrel are started in all different spots, it would be impossible to make a directionally ported brake that lines up on every one perfectly.

All this bitching about prices...price isn't what defines "best" option to me, usefulness is. Some people are more into cool looks or the lowest price....or the highest price even....

I have to say after owning all of the listed options and then some (no I didn't try screwing a slice of fucking pie on my S-12...)...the most USEFUL muzzle device for the S-12 is the Winchoke Adapter sold by Cobra's Customs. It's not just to plug my own product either.

There's no other product being sold that gives you the choice of the full range of shotgun chokes, AND even rifled slug choke for better accuracy with sabot slugs. Not only that, as mentioned above, if you screw in an extra full choke tube it increases the back pressure enough to make an otherwise unreliable gun (IE..."vodka special") run like a champ on the least reliable ammo you can use in the S-12.

That gets my vote for sure.

It hasn't happened yet but eventually they will even be available in more aggressive looking designs.

:devil:

All this bitching about prices...price isn't what defines "best" option to me, usefulness is. Some people are more into cool looks or the lowest price....or the highest price even....

I have to say after owning all of the listed options and then some (no I didn't try screwing a slice of fucking pie on my S-12...)...the most USEFUL muzzle device for the S-12 is the Winchoke Adapter sold by Cobra's Customs. It's not just to plug my own product either.

There's no other product being sold that gives you the choice of the full range of shotgun chokes, AND even rifled slug choke for better accuracy with sabot slugs. Not only that, as mentioned above, if you screw in an extra full choke tube it increases the back pressure enough to make an otherwise unreliable gun (IE..."vodka special") run like a champ on the least reliable ammo you can use in the S-12.

That gets my vote for sure.

It hasn't happened yet but eventually they will even be available in more aggressive looking designs.

:devil:

cool idea with the adapter!!! however i thought the polychoke deluxe did all of those things too, with the exeption of the rifling for sabots, and saved you the money and hassle of carrying around (and paying for) a bunch of different tubes. correct me if i am wrong.

I have a polychoke deluxe. In fact I have the old school non ported version that's been threaded to fit on the S-12, and a newer one that has the ports. Without doing my own comparison testing, which I will be doing when I get a chance, I can't prove it. However, one of my customers who shoots 3 gun competitions wrote me last week and told me some good news. He said he had done some comparison testing, between the polychoke, his new choke adapter and winchokes, and another gun with internal chokes. He was surprised and delighted to find that the winchokes had better patterns than both the poly and the other gun with internal chokes. AND like I mentioned, there's the rifled slug choke that the poly does not have.

To me this sounds like an obvious advantage. He said he was going to a match this weekend, but afterwards he was going to do some more testing and document his results for the forum. Hopefully soon I'll get to do some of my own to add to that, including the slug testing.

If it looks better (which IMO it does), cost is not drastically different (it's not, even with a few affordable choke tubes), and has all these advantages plus the rifled option, I think it's better....just my opinion.