Saiga 308 Discontinued?

When I pick up my .308 w/ 16" barrel and skeletal stock tommorrow, I will ask the shop owner again to see what is going on. I think when I ordered it, the store owner said that the Russians were pissed off at us, or something to that effect.

I have *heard* that as soon as we turn the corner to 2009, whatever the prices of these Saigas will be in Dec. 2008, all Saigas will all go up by at least $100 USD.

• 1 month later...

I posted a similar answer in another thread but I'll add comments here also. I purchased a 308-1 approximately 4-6 weeks ago. The 308-1 had to be returned to RAAC for some bolt polishing work. While conversing with RAAC personel I asked why the 308 Saiga rifles had dried up on the market. I explained I saw mention of them being discontinued on a couple of retail websites. A gentleman named "clyde" from RAAC assured me the 308 saiga rifles were still very much in production but supply could not meet demand. He also advised RAAC was concentrating on a large shipment of shotguns due to be arriving. My local FFL...Fort Sackville Guns (812)886-9951 (ask for Orville) was able to secure a newly shipped 308-1 from one of his distributors last week. I now have (2) 308-1's and think they are great. I wish I had jumped on the Saiga bandwagon a few years back and secured a Saiga 12 before prices soared. I have a 7.62x39 saiga on backorder but no luck yet!

Discontinued?! WHAT? Anyone have proof of this?

Yes... I have proof... I received a letter two weeks ago from RAAC... they are NO LONGER going to import the .308 due to escalating economic sanctions... They feel if they stop the influx of this particular rifle, then people like Segasaiga will be able to worry about the sky falling and can run around like fear mongering fools screaming the end is near!!

RELAX CHICKEN LITTLE!!!!!

Oh my God!!

They are all over the place... a local store to me has about 6 in stock... short, long, wood, synthetic... all of them!

NO WORRIES!!

Jeezus!

They are EVERYWHERE... just LOOK!

:smoke:

Who's Chicken Little and why are the relaxation police after him! ph34r.gif

Segasaiga...

Just cause one person cant seem to find any on a internet search, and asks if they are discontinued, Segasaiga immediately needs *proof* and *confirmation* as to the "FACT" that they ARE DISCONTINUED! As if the word of one mindless "weak in the google-fu" searcher is the gospel... LOL ROFL!!! I mean thats just too funny!!! :haha::rolleyes::haha:

:smoke:

Speaking for myself and the reason I questioned RAAC personnel about the availability of 308 Saiga rifles was the announcement on Centerfire Systems webpage a few weeks ago stating backorders for the 16.3 308 Saiga were not being accepted because the firearm had been discontinued. Since RAAC personnel have assured me the firearms are still being produced I'll simply treat the information I read on Centerfire Systems webpage as an honest mistake. Nonetheless, I had my local FFL place several calls to different distributors attempting to find one. Better safe than sorry! I'm not sure if the discontinuation advertisement appeared on other distributors websites or not but it seems reasonable the advertisement which appeared on Centerfire Systems certainly started some of the rumors concerning the lack of availability of Saiga 308 firearms. Rumors abound but every now and then one actually comes to pass...

Ok, to clarify this situation for everyone, and hopefully to aleviate some obvious calls and emails over to Clyde at RAAC -

What has been discontinued is the wood and synthetic 308s in the "M" series for saigas, which came in last year in a small quantity for reviewal. I believe centerfire might have been selling those, and I know Gilbert's had some as well.

The reason for this is that the guns were promised as having thicker recievers, heavier barrels, longer barrels, etc. The importer did not agree that what was provided was indicative of the cost, and has decided to not bring more of this specific gun into the US as a result. Tom and I both took a look at one of the M series, and both feel that what was promised by the russians did indeed hold true (Tom would really need a much closer and detailed look to confirm this for sure), although it really does appear to not warrant the price hike incurred for the upgrades.

The wood thumbhole stock and standard 308s will continue to come into the US, and will be noticeably improved for availability in the coming months under the new year (and new price increase).

As for the exact price increase, I know already what we are looking at as a distributor, and its not no 100 bucks a gun, but how that might work out for the end consumer, I do not know.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Ok, to clarify this situation for everyone, and hopefully to aleviate some obvious calls and emails over to Clyde at RAAC -

What has been discontinued is the wood and synthetic 308s in the "M" series for saigas, which came in last year in a small quantity for reviewal. I believe centerfire might have been selling those, and I know Gilbert's had some as well.

The reason for this is that the guns were promised as having thicker recievers, heavier barrels, longer barrels, etc. The importer did not agree that what was provided was indicative of the cost, and has decided to not bring more of this specific gun into the US as a result. Tom and I both took a look at one of the M series, and both feel that what was promised by the russians did indeed hold true (Tom would really need a much closer and detailed look to confirm this for sure), although it really does appear to not warrant the price hike incurred for the upgrades.

The wood thumbhole stock and standard 308s will continue to come into the US, and will be noticeably improved for availability in the coming months under the new year (and new price increase).

As for the exact price increase, I know already what we are looking at as a distributor, and its not no 100 bucks a gun, but how that might work out for the end consumer, I do not know.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Thanks Indy.

Bvamp - Which ones are the M models exactly? the 21" barrels with the wood stocks?

I was wanting to ask the same question segasaiga but I figured I would get flamed. I did a internet search on "m" series and could not find anything definitive. The firearm pictured on Centerfire Systems retail webpage (and the specifications) were exactly the same as the 308-1's I recently purchased. As for the price increase that was to be expected. I purchased (2) Romanian WASR-10's and (2) Yugo underfolders a little over a year ago and the Romanians are bring over twice what I paid for them. The Yugo's are bringing 50% over what I paid. Such is the nexus of politics mixed with demand and supply in a free market economy.

Not discontinued but like most semi-automatic rifles the demand is so high dealers can't get them in fast enough. In addition to low stocks this has drove the price up. A new shipment of Saiga 12's at my dealers have gone from $369 to $559 each.

I have been eyeing a Saiga 308 Ver.21 (thumbhole stock) at another dealer, two weeks ago they were asking $579; the price has now gone to $749. Anyone know of any better prices please post the dealer.

Firearms are about the only thing that is not a "buyer's" market.

I had seen a .308 saiga at the gun shop... cept it was all plastic covered, had a 5 round (and thats pushing it) mag, and the mag release was on the front of the magazine nearly up in the receiver... it had a cross button safety as opposed to the side lever, and really saddened me :-(

I had seen a .308 saiga at the gun shop... cept it was all plastic covered, had a 5 round (and thats pushing it) mag, and the mag release was on the front of the magazine nearly up in the receiver... it had a cross button safety as opposed to the side lever, and really saddened me :-(

What you're seeing is a Saiga 100 chambered in a .308 and, as you pointed out, they are not the same thing at all. It's confusing, too, because apparently they both have 308-1 as a model number. I have a Saiga 100 and it is designed for hunting. As such, the magazines hold three rounds and are not compatible with other Saiga .308 magazines.

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_100.htm

Underneath the plastic forearm grip is an AK-47 chambered in a .308, but be sure you know what you're getting. If you're looking to trick something out with lots of third party add-ons, the Saiga 100 is not the way to go. It's intentionally designed to not be compatible with a lot of stuff. For someone who wants to hunt deer with an affordable, reliable, semi-auto .308 without scaring off uninformed strangers, it should be a good option.

Sounds like the Saiga 100:

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_100.htm

I emailed RAA hoping they could help me locate a dealer stocking a 308. Their response was that they are expecting a new shipment in the next month or so. Unfortunately they sell to distributors who in turn sell to the dealers so they had no dealer list. The closest distributor to me is in Alabama, I have not been able to reach them.

I emailed RAA hoping they could help me locate a dealer stocking a 308. Their response was that they are expecting a new shipment in the next month or so. Unfortunately they sell to distributors who in turn sell to the dealers so they had no dealer list. The closest distributor to me is in Alabama, I have not been able to reach them.

See my entry under WTS-WTT about a "308 wood furniture".

I found a private that has one for sale. I didn't get it because I found another and can't afford another...

and another...

and another...

Luck

http://www.coldwarshooters.net has them in stock. That's where I got mine.

Just went to centerfiresystems and they list the Saiga 308 as Out of Stock and discontinued... Is this true for all suppliers or just centerfire?

Anybody know if anyone has them in stock?

I just purchased (another) 16" black furniture 308 from...

http://www.ddsranch.com/cart/index.php?mai...p;keyword=saiga

They're not a sponser on our sight, but they have the 16" and 20" 308 Saiga's available.

Just checked this AM and they still indicate they're available...

If you want (settle for) the 308 with wood furniture, see my post on this topic about a private seller I found at $525...