unsticking a stuck saiga stock

hello and thanks for taking time to read this. ok, in the process of doing a conversion on a saiga 12, and found that ivan did one heck of a job in installing the buttstock. all 3 screws are removed, now, what is the trick of extricating the stock from the receiver without scuffing anything?

thanks!

hello and thanks for taking time to read this. ok, in the process of doing a conversion on a saiga 12, and found that ivan did one heck of a job in installing the buttstock. all 3 screws are removed, now, what is the trick of extricating the stock from the receiver without scuffing anything?

thanks!

Never had a problem with Saiga stocks but wooden buttstocks can be problematic sometimes (because wood can expand so much). Here's what I do: I like to bang the buttstock with a rubber mallet from side to side to loosen it up and then yank it out. I've also been known to bang it on a carpeted floor (top and bottom) to loosen it up so it can be pulled out.

thanks!

A couple of love taps with a rubberized dead blow hammer per the red arrow.

tap_here.jpg

I'd take the cover off, recoil spring out and tap it out from the front. That's the part that's stuck. I've had luck prying it out, I do this with AKM's where I can pry against the trunion, but the S12 is different back there and the only thing you could pry against is the safety. I"ve done this without problem, but that was on my shotgun, I'm not sure how stuck yours is. ***you have to be very careful if you're prying against the safety, if the safety flexes even a tiny bit, stop***.

• 6 months later...

So, when you've slammed on it for 20 min and the damn thing won't come off regardless of the mallet, shoe, or hammer... do you try seduction and foreplay?

Damn thing won't come off. Running with the collective forum advice, I'll try oil and more pounding.

Thanks. This thread mentions 3 screws. There are 2 obvious ones, one in the swivel clip for a sling, and 1 that is only accessible by removing the action. After I removed the action and took out the 3rd not-so-obvious-as-all-the-other screws, the stock came off with a gentle whack.

Appreciate it.