I have a Saiga .223, and am considering installing a bullet guide to allow use of standard AK magazines. However, I have a few questions first:

1. Are you still able to use standard Saiga magazines after installing the guide?

2. What modifications are necessary to the 5.45 AK-74 magazines to make them work with the 5.56 rounds?

I have a Saiga .223, and am considering installing a bullet guide to allow use of standard AK magazines. However, I have a few questions first:

1. Are you still able to use standard Saiga magazines after installing the guide?

2. What modifications are necessary to the 5.45 AK-74 magazines to make them work with the 5.56 rounds?

As has been answered many times before, filing down the front lip of your factory magazine will allow its use.

There is no modification capable of making your 5.45x39 mags work reliably with 5.56 Nato ammunition.

The mag curvature will cause binding at some point when using the alternate cartridges.

All right. Then there is absolutely no point in installing a bullet guide in a .223 because it cripples factory mags and AK-101 magazines are made of solid unobtainium. The only real practical reason I can see in having one is that there's the possibiltiy of the plastic magazines eventually wearing down. I might buy one, just to be safe, but I certainly won't install it unless I run into problems. With the possibility of a ban under Obama, there's a good reason to ensure the long-term functionality of the gun regardless of magazine wear.

polymer galil mags and bulgarian 5.56 waffles work just fine with the bullet guide.

filing the front end down on your factory 10 rounder doesn't 'cripple' it, if you are filing it for use with a bullet guide.

Thanks for this summary. I had not read this yet. I've seen more comments on the Wienger and German mags. The Arsenal 5.56 and Orlites for the Galil mags are good to go then? Do you need to grind the mag latch? I know you need to file the front sides of the Galil Orlites, what needs to be done on the Bulgarian polys?

Thanks,

Frosty

polymer galil mags and bulgarian 5.56 waffles work just fine with the bullet guide.

filing the front end down on your factory 10 rounder doesn't 'cripple' it, if you are filing it for use with a bullet guide.

Thanks for this summary. I had not read this yet. I've seen more comments on the Wienger and German mags. The Arsenal 5.56 and Orlites for the Galil mags are good to go then? Do you need to grind the mag latch? I know you need to file the front sides of the Galil Orlites, what needs to be done on the Bulgarian polys?

Thanks,

Frosty

Nothing is required to use the Galil poly mags other than shaving them as you've indicated.

Galil_223_35rd_Orlite_side_.jpg

The Bulgarian waffle mags will require you to remove the blocking tab at the back of the mag well (can be seen directly in front of the mag catch tower). This area is part of the receiver, and no other mods are necessary, in my experience.

Edited by nalioth
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a bullet guide for my flat trunnion Saiga 7.62 x39 and hit some troubles. After drilling through the trunnion I began to drill with the tapping bit. The directions say that you need to back the tapping bit off if it starts to tension or flex. I followed the instructions however on the third time of backing it off it broke :cryss: So now im stuck with a trunnion with a tapping bit in it and dont know what to do. any help or suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a bullet guide for my flat trunnion Saiga 7.62 x39 and hit some troubles. After drilling through the trunnion I began to drill with the tapping bit. The directions say that you need to back the tapping bit off if it starts to tension or flex. I followed the instructions however on the third time of backing it off it broke :cryss: So now im stuck with a trunnion with a tapping bit in it and dont know what to do. any help or suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Thanks guys

I had the same thing happen to my 7.62.. I don't know if this will work for you.. But I J.B. Weld it in place..

If you are going to try this. You will need a 2in C-clamp as well.. 1005683.jpg

But I used a dremel to rough up the surface under the bullet guide and around the broken tap.. Then I use brake parts cleaner to degrease the area and a can of Air to blow away the metal dust. (use computer can air because air hose can some time have water or oil in the line.) Then I mix up a 50/50 of J.B. Weld put some on the spot where the tap broke and under the guide. Put her in place press down some and walk away for 20 mins..

Then Put clamp in place and screw tight. 1005685.jpg1005684.jpg(not so tight that you bend the bottom, but enough to see and hear the JB weld come out the sides..) Oh and put a piece of paper on the top of the guide before you you put the clap in place, or you will have to fight the clap off the top of the guide after the weld sets. You can always burn off the paper.

Than place in safe place for 24 hours.. Then remove and dremel the top surface until the bolt passes over it..

It should look Close to this..1005377.jpg

I worked very well for me. This is a picture I just had taken, I have fired Over 1'200 rounds with out it moving!! 1005681.jpg

Edited by Zazale
  • 4 months later...
Hi Guys,

Thanks guys

I had the same thing happen to my 7.62.. I don't know if this will work for you.. But I J.B. Weld it in place..

If you are going to try this. You will need a 2in C-clamp as well.. 1005683.jpg

But I used a dremel to rough up the surface under the bullet guide and around the broken tap.. Then I use brake parts cleaner to degrease the area and a can of Air to blow away the metal dust. (use computer can air because air hose can some time have water or oil in the line.) Then I mix up a 50/50 of J.B. Weld put some on the spot where the tap broke and under the guide. Put her in place press down some and walk away for 20 mins..

Then Put clamp in place and screw tight. 1005685.jpg1005684.jpg(not so tight that you bend the bottom, but enough to see and hear the JB weld come out the sides..) Oh and put a piece of paper on the top of the guide before you you put the clap in place, or you will have to fight the clap off the top of the guide after the weld sets. You can always burn off the paper.

Than place in safe place for 24 hours.. Then remove and dremel the top surface until the bolt passes over it..

It should look Close to this..1005377.jpg

I worked very well for me. This is a picture I just had taken, I have fired Over 1'200 rounds with out it moving!! 1005681.jpg

I took a small flat head, used for watches, and stuck it between the trunion and tap and punched the flat head screw driver lighty a couple of times which loosened the tap a bit. Then I used a center punch and punched the tap a few times which broke the tap into two pieces and it fell right out. I found a tap at Loews and noticed it didnt flex as much as the first tap and felt more solid, so if you break the tap as many have, all is not lost