Can't get gas tube lever back down...

Hey guys,

I've begun the conversion and am replacing my handguards with the K-Var and Dinzag retainer. Lower handguard is installed, and I am trying to install the upper/gas tube.

I had a bitch of a time moving the lever up, but now it won't go down. Which position does the sight have to be in to do this?

I'm trying pliers and everything with no luck.

Thanks

-Joe

Sight flat on the block should work.. you've tried pliers and it wont move?

Did you sort of pull up/out and push it down ? also, is your tube keyed in the block correctly?

Thanks for the reply!

Gonna check all this very soon.

I actually am halfway through the conversion. Rivets are out, spot weld is out, and the trigger plate is off!

-Joe

Hey guys,

I tried reseating the gas tube and it seems to be in properly. Just be sure, I removed the gas tube and tried moving the lever down by itself, no luck.

I'm using the AK gas tube from Dinzag. I'm unsure which they are exactly.

Man, such a small thing is driving me nuts. I'd really like to move this lever down! lol

Needlenose, regular pliers, no luck.

-Joe

Hey guys,

I tried reseating the gas tube and it seems to be in properly. Just be sure, I removed the gas tube and tried moving the lever down by itself, no luck.

Man, such a small thing is driving me nuts. I'd really like to move this lever down! lol

-Joe

DO NOT FORCE IT. Wiggle the tube around as you push down on the lever with JUST YOUR THUMB. It will go down when the gas tube is in the proper postition for the lever to rock down and lock the tube in place.

Hey guys,

-Joe

DO NOT FORCE IT. Wiggle the tube around as you push down on the lever with JUST YOUR THUMB. It will go down when the gas tube is in the proper postition for the lever to rock down and lock the tube in place.

Thanks...going to try this.

Hopefully I didn't f*** up my gas tube lever.

-Joe

Tried wiggling the tube...

No luck.

Even with the gas tube assembly completely out, it won't budge past a certain point, and I don't want to apply more unnecessary pressure than I already have.

:cryss:

????????

-Joe

I think it's possible that the lever bent too far toward the receiver and is getting caught.

I really can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't move.

??

-Joe

Tried wiggling the tube...

No luck.

Even with the gas tube assembly completely out, it won't budge past a certain point, and I don't want to apply more unnecessary pressure than I already have.

:cryss:

????????

-Joe

I think it's possible that the lever bent too far toward the receiver and is getting caught.

I really can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't move.

??

-Joe

Can you post a pic of the lever itself and of the cam where it locks on the gas tube. Soak a little penetrating oil in there and try to work it without the gas tube.

Looking at your 1st 4th 5th pic the area on the gas tube that the cam locks against looks rather small compared to the tubes I have.

Also make sure the bottom part of the tube fits down into the slot above the barrel in the sight base. Make sure the ramped surface the cam engages on the tube is lower than the bottom of the cam if it is not you may need to file the bottome of the gas tube a little.

Locking surface on my gas tube.

post-6703-1226446543_thumb.jpg

Fully locked in

post-6703-1226446635_thumb.jpg

Pushed all the way down ready for cam to catch.

post-6703-1226446711_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

It's just strange that it still won't budge, even when the gas tube isn't installed. I'm going to compare the stock gas tube and try some penetrating oil.

Thanks!

-Joe

Yeah that is strange that it won't lock back. It moved once before when you took off the original tube. Maybe the cam took some dirt or paint and lodged itself. Let the oil or break-free soak in overnight then try it out.

IMG_1692.jpg

:smoke:

Awesome, She looks good with that furniture on there. You will love that rifle even more after you do the conversion which looks like its moving right along.

Thanks so much! I can already feel how much better the trigger pull is.

Yeah, I really underestimated how easy it would be. I was a bit nervous about drilling into it, but once I got started it went right along really smoothly.

I'm going to have to bend my trigger guard back a bit; it's not quite reaching the rear hole.

-Joe

• 11 years later...