444 Marlin shotshells

• 2 weeks later...
:unsure:

For reference, the base diameter of factory .410's is 0.469", and the rim diameter is 0.524". .444 Marlin cases are straight walled and can be used as .410 brass without the need for fireforming, but have the penalty of a 2.162" case length. The base diameter of the .444 Marlin is 0.469". The rim diameter is smaller with the .444 Marlin - 0.514"

( http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html )

So it seems as long as they extract, which my manually cycled test round did, then they should work well. I have a few shot and several buck shot loaded 444 Marlin cases ready to go. I had made them up for my No1MkIII* Enfield .410.

Good luck and please let us know your results. How are you 'sealing' the open end? Are you roll crimping them? I have a bunch of Barnaul steel hulls I've been wanting to reload sometime. Maybe they would be similar? They are Berdan primed though...don't know if I can find those primers anywhere or whether another kind would work.

Maybe you should also post this topic in the reloading forum.

Good luck and please let us know your results. How are you 'sealing' the open end? Are you roll crimping them? I have a bunch of Barnaul steel hulls I've been wanting to reload sometime. Maybe they would be similar? They are Berdan primed though...don't know if I can find those primers anywhere or whether another kind would work.

Maybe you should also post this topic in the reloading forum.

I seal them with an overshot card held in place with Elmer's Glue. I do have 444 Marlin reloading dies so I could roll crimp them as well. I didn't need to with my single shot bolt action Enfield but I may want to with my semi auto Saiga. As for reloading Barnaul shells, even if you got the spent primer out, there is no US source for Berdan primers.

Edited by russianblood