Saigo 12 Barrel threads

Hello all-

New guy here, Just got my Saiga12 GIZ109 today. No sooner did I get it out of the box, then something went fubar. I unscrewed the IC choke/thread protector, and now I can't screw it back on. It will screw partially on, then stop I don't know if it is cross threaded or what? Any one else ever have this happen? (I did a search,but didn't find anything) I called a few gunsmiths but none had a large enough metric die to chase the threads. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Edited by kodog
Look closely at the starting threads of both parts, preferably with magnification. You should be able to see where the problem is.

I think I can see a thread that is mangled, but it is kind of hard to tell- do you know what size die or exactly what tool I would need to try and fix this myself- I am not exactly what you would call "mechanically inclined"

thanks for the quick reply too!

Look closely at the starting threads of both parts, preferably with magnification. You should be able to see where the problem is.

I think I can see a thread that is mangled, but it is kind of hard to tell- do you know what size die or exactly what tool I would need to try and fix this myself- I am not exactly what you would call "mechanically inclined"

thanks for the quick reply too!

If you're just dealing with a damaged start thread, one that isn't too terribly bad, use a small sharp triangular file instead of a die (expensive and hard to find) and knock off the displaced metal high spots. Use the undamaged portions of the thread to guide the file and don't take too much off. Clean off the filings, and check frequently - you should be O.K.