Yes or No for Galil Charging Handle

Well, I like them, but I am a right handed shooter who doesn't want to roll the gun all the way ove to get the handle with my left hand. I also don't plan on putting an optic either on the dust cover or on the side rail. If you put an optic in either of these places, a Galil handle is useless. If the details are worked out right, it also allows a folding stock to fold to the right.

If you're wondering about shooting with one, and that handle flying back and forth in front of your face, I don't notice it myself.

So, it's all up to you.

BTW, Nalioth, that is an interesting handle.

+1 for the Galil. Makes racking the bolt much easier, IMO. :smoke:

edited to add: I think I like it cause you can use the heel of your palm to rack the bolt rather than your fingertips which are comparatively weak. Many combat-oriented shooting schools recommend against techniques which require fine motor skills, as these are the first ones to crap out when you're in a stressful situation. But I guess its whatever works for you.

Edited by DistalRadius

I like the Galil handle on the Galil, never tried on on the s12 but I'd like to know if the carrier (recoil) spring makes a difference in how it feels to rack back.

What I'd like to tinker with is a charging handle like the FAL or some Galil Micro's use (more of a knob), and possibly the same on a set up like the lightning bolt using it (if the cut cover can deal with the s12 recoil).

Back on subject, I've never had problems with the Galil handle catching on stuff while in use and I agree that it's not a distraction at all when shooting. I think the biggest concern on the s12 would be to have a capable welder install it.

I think a galil handle on the left side might be worth trying out. One thing I wouldn't like about the LB is being poked my the AK style handle. 1st thing that comes to mind though is it recoiling back in front of your face might be more distracting than if it were on the right. Maybe not.

GAH! What is the AK that has a regular old looking charging handle, but bent at a 45 degree angle. I thought it was the AK-74, but looking it up now, it isn't. I was so sure of it, too.

My brother just bought an AK74 and it has the handle bent at 45 degrees as you described.

GAH! What is the AK that has a regular old looking charging handle, but bent at a 45 degree angle. I thought it was the AK-74, but looking it up now, it isn't. I was so sure of it, too.
The Romanians specced their charging handles at 45 degree on their AK74 variant, the AIMS-74.

The Romanians are the only country to do so.

Edited by nalioth

I'd rather have a Finnish style 45 degree charging handle (big and meaty).

The Romanians just bent the existing skinny charging handle to 45 degrees, and it'll rip the snot out of your hand if you're not paying attention.

Edited by nalioth
  • 2 weeks later...