What does conversion do for me?

New to the forum. I have both a .308 and .223 versions, thinking about getting the 7.62 as well before they are gone.

Read a bunch of threads about conversion - crazy NJ laws aside, what does it do for me?

Given the NJ laws, 15 rounds max, limitation on evil features like flash suppressors, pistol grips, collapsing stocks, etc. - are all the benefits illegal anyway so I shouldn't bother?

I just took a quick look at N.J. assault weapon law on the net. Even the State Police want nothing to do with the law's interpretation. ( Because the New Jersey State Police is not authorized to provide legal advice to private parties, you may wish to consult with independent legal counsel or conduct your own research._) One thing that is a no-no is a pistol grip protruding "conspicuously below the action" . If you do a trigger conversion, it looks like you would be in violation since it would require some sort of pistol grip. Looks like you're SOL on a significant conversion.

I live in CT. I did a conversion on my .223 and then read the CT law. I locked the rifle up in my safe until I spoke with a gun dealer who explained the "practical" aspects of my State's disfunctional assault weapon law. He said that the State was mainly interested in 7.62 "Kalashnikov type" rifles because that was what they considered to be covered by the ban. I wouldn't want to make that assumption in your State.

Oh, what would a conversion do for you? In N.J., not a whole lot I guess! Why bother because it would only be discovered by the "Obama Youth" in a few years and you'd have to go for reeducation.

Edited by pogy

this should help...

i spoke to the state police on SEVERAL occasions and i will do the best i can to help you..

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

its BAD if it meets the following..

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

1. a folding or telescoping stock;

2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3. a bayonet mount;

4. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

5. a grenade launcher;

because you have a detachable mag that is automatically one.. that means you can have ONE more evil feature.. and that is normally your pistol grip.. PG AND detachable mag is your 2.. if you hit 3 you are AW in NJ..

Mag capacity is 15 or less..

I live in NJ as well and recently made my order to do the conversion.. as far as i can tell my order meets ALL requirements.. both state wise and 992

hope that helps..

Nationalist,

CT law reads as follows:

Definition. (1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:

(among many others) Avtomat Kalasnikov AK-47 type

According to the gun dealer I spoke to, for all practical purposes, they only care about the 7.62x39 models. Of course it's screwed up! The law was written by ignorant legislators. Fortunately, the DPS has some leeway in their interpretation or the .223 or .308's couldn't be sold either. I really can't say for sure if 7.62x39 Saigas are sold in CT. Maybe someone out there knows.

Edited by pogy
its BAD if it meets the following..

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

1. a folding or telescoping stock;

2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3. a bayonet mount;

4. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

5. a grenade launcher;

So, just have a standard AK stock, and do the PG conversion. Unless you'd rather have that grenade launcher installed. ;)

New to the forum. I have both a .308 and .223 versions, thinking about getting the 7.62 as well before they are gone.

Read a bunch of threads about conversion - crazy NJ laws aside, what does it do for me?

Given the NJ laws, 15 rounds max, limitation on evil features like flash suppressors, pistol grips, collapsing stocks, etc. - are all the benefits illegal anyway so I shouldn't bother?

It would save you money on mags if you converted the .308 and the .223. Saiga Surefire mags are 3x the price of AR and even more than 3x for the .308. Other than that, you're limited to what you can do. Personally, I would rather have capacity and mags than any of the other features. After all, they shoot the same.