A scope for Christmas

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I decided that a nice PSOP 4x24 scope would be a great gift... But, I really want to make sure I'm getting something that is recommended and from a place that is reputable. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of scope I should get and where I could find it? I'm thinking that a 4x24 is plenty of scope for the rifle, my main concerns are that it holds true, easy to put on, and is in the $150 range. Thanks in advance!

I have a POSP 4X24 on my .223 Saiga. It is plenty of scope for that rifle since the effective range of a 5.56/.223 round is about 200 yds. I don't always use it when I shoot the Saiga because I want to be familiar with the iron sights also. I shot it today as a matter of fact with the scope. The scope always holds zero from use to use and is easy to put on and remove. Today, it shot a fist sized group of 15 shots from a rest @ 75 yards using Wolf steel cased ammo. I highly recommend the scope. Unfortunately, the company I purchased mine from, www.nightvisionweb.com, does not appear to sell them any longer so I can't recommend a vendor. Good luck!

Edited by pogy

I strongly recommend the Leapers 3-9x40 rubberized scope instead. It is a FAR better scope than the 4x PSO scope that I currently have on my PSL / Romak-3. It blows it away. It's a perfect match for the Saiga. It looks right for the gun, too. I've used both scopes, and there is no comparison. Now, that being said, the 8x PSO scope might actually be a good choice, but you should not waste your money on the 4x PSO.

They do hold true, and they are easy to put on, but 4x magnification is not ideal for even 100-yard shooting, and you can easily benefit from the added magnification and features of the Leapers scope. I know a good set of optics when I look through them, and you can save yourself a lot of money and trouble by going that route instead. I have my Leapers scope installed on a UTG 978 quick-release lever mount that's just as convenient as the PSO scope.

Here is my Saiga with the Leapers installed:

SaigaScope.jpg

Here's a better picture of the mount, with a red dot instead of a scope (apologies, this was with my old camera that didn't do light levels right; it makes the mount look grey):

SaigaScopeMount.jpg

What kind of difference does it make? With the PSO scope, I can only get a vague idea of where I'm hitting. With the Leapers scope, I can clearly see individual holes in the target. It's the difference between needing a spotter and being able to sight in solo.

Edited by Mike the Wolf

I'd recommend lower magnification, say 1.5-4x for things that are moving or for quicker firing. Higher magnification for being really accurate and putting nice groups on paper, making sure you hit with every shot.

Modern scopes are really nice and will outperform. The PSO's look cool and have that "AK feel" to them. Y'now, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Depends on what you want it for. I'm gonna be doing a lot of steel plate events at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards all over the place, so I'm happy with 2x. Guys using 8x are totally screwed though, and can't compete. 3-9x is nice in that it can do both very well.

The other beauty of the Leapers is toolless adjustment. The turrets are finger-adjustable for rapid calibration. I calibrated mine in record time, and was soon drilling 2" groups at 100 yards. After I changed ammo types, I had to recalibrate, and quickly adjusted and got back on target.

I was thinking that with a PSO scope, I could still use the irons for closer shooting, is that not correct? If thats not the case, then something more like the Leapers might be in order. I did a quick google search and I wasn't sure I was finding the proper Leapers scope though, it took me to a bunch of pages for airsoft rifles? Could you PM me a link so I know for sure that I'm looking at what you have? Thanks for all the opinions, I'd be curious if anyone else has any comparisons between the two styles? I'd really like somethingthat will let you use your iron sights and the scope, but I dont know if that's possible with this gun.

I don't mean to knock leapers but I've had 3 scopes form them and I don't like the the clarity all to much. I've since switched to Bushnell and have no problems. Very clear and lots of light. You can get a good 4x Bushnell for $80-$90 bucks. I am also looking into getting a psop for my saiga .223. But I'm tired of buying junk. If I can't find a good psop I just might end up going with another low magnification Bushnell.

Edited by shmeddie