Short barrel KRINK S-20!

Well... NOW that I have your attention... maybe yall can help me fix my FUCKED S-20!!! :cryss: :cryss: :cryss:

SO I am pulling out the S-20 to use for deer season last night. Its a perfect shotgun for the women to use, as recoil is very minimal! SO I am cleaning it up... I havent touched it in 6 or 7 months!!! and I am wiping down the barrel... :eek: SOMEHOW last year... I DONT KNOW who was shooting it, or HOW it happened...

:cryss: :cryss: :cryss: :cryss: I HAVE A BULGE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BARREL!!!!!! :cryss: :cryss: :cryss: :cryss:

When I oiled it and put it up I certainly dont recall noticing it, or I would have freaked out THEN, not now!!

SO I am thinking It is unsafe to shoot... and it probably needs to be RE-barreled... My first question is WILL RAAC have spare 22" full choked barrels for the S-20? Do any of you manufacturers out there know of any spare barrels???

Otherwise... Maybe I can send it to one of the Guru-Manufacturers here and have them shorten thew barrel, swap out the gas block, for one that will take real AK wood... and permanently attach an extension on it to make it look "Krinkov like"???

Pictures and measurements to follow later... It is a 22" barreled S-20 and the bulge is about 4 to 5 inches in front of the handguard. I cant just cut it off, as it will be FAR TOO SHORT!

For now I am totally open to suggestions from anyone on this topic... I am really bummed one of my S-20's is ruined!! I just need to get it fixed, and all will be fine again!

:smoke:

If you look through the barrel, is it clear? If you look down the bore, it should look fine except there will be a spot you can't see, the bulge.

How far is the bulge from the muzzle? If it's well behind the choke, the gun will shoot fine. You don't want to stick another projectile or shot charge in that exact same place, but otherwise, it'll be ok. You might get a tiny pressure loss as the column passes the bulge, you might not.

Many shotguns these days are backbored, wherein the bore gets larger past the chamber than the forcing cone, and then drops back down. Some guns also have a reverse choke, wherein there is an overbored section near the muzzle.

Were you shooting slugs through the full choke? I know you are probably don't feel like 20 questions right now at this minute...just trying to figure out how you managed to do that so I don't do it to mine too.

If it helps any...I really don't want to get rid of it, especially now, but I do have an S-20 barrel that I've been saving. :cryss:

The bulge looks like a black ring inside the barrel where its wider... like I said, pics will follow... I have been out hunting today so I havent had time to mess with it... I will get some images posted...

First off, to Cobra... Yes, of course I was shooting slugs through it... last year... all went through fine... Winchester super X and Remington sluggers only... Only the foster slugs went through this barrel... I am thinking it happened one day squirrel hunting. The person I was with got mud on the end of the barrel, I used a stick to clear it... and I thought it was clear, it must not have been... there MUST have been a small piece of schmutz still in there, that fell in further and stuck to the side... when it was fired... BLAMMO! BULGE!

SO with that all figured out... well, heres the pics...

Center of the bulge is 8.25" from the muzzle... to cut off all the bulge would leave me with about a 12" shorty... fully SBS and NOT the way I want to go...

barrel1.jpg

The next one is looking down from the muzzle with the barrel illuminated... It is VERY hard to see the black ring thats the bulge, but its about midway down in the image...

barrel2.jpg

Again... any input on barrel replacement info... or cost to "krink out" ONLY THE FRONT HALF of this shotty would be appreciated... ( I can do the FCG conversion... and put on the PG and buttstock... )

Couple of options here. Just chop the barrel off, open the gas ports, attach an extension (piece of ventilated 12ga barrel or something) and shoot full power ammo only. Or, move the gas block back, weld up the old gas port holes, cut new ones, then add the extension and you would be able to shoot light loads as well.

Or, find someone else that wants a shorty and swap barrels with them. I doubt there are any spare barrels available unless someone has parted out a gun.

Or, just part out your own gun and sell the pieces off. Since there are virtually zero spare parts for the 20ga guns, you can probably sell the parts for enough to just buy a whole new gun.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Like I said Indy, I have one in perfect condition that's part of a 20 that was already parted out. It was actually demilled before I got it in a trade. I just checked it to make sure and it's a full choked 22"er. I was saving it for a spare or to maybe build it back on a US receiver some day, but I'll probably never get around to that and would rather help you out of jam. I need money more than spare parts right now. I've got tons of bills to pay and I'm trying to get an AR together before it gets too late :cryss:

I'm not sure how much it's worth for a new/used barrel. Any ideas? Tony? Let's make a deal Indy!

I know you need the cash... but...

Dont forget... I still have those THREE BRAND NEW S-12 chokes... I know you had your eye on them before...

Lets find out what the barrel is worth and we can go from there, fair enough???

We can do that. I've already got a couple of full sets of chokes though. I was wanting those for someone else...

Will I'll always love the AK more and they make up most of my collection. I just figured I should have an AR anyway, so if nothing else my dad can have fun with it if I get him over here to shoot. He's wanted an AR since he got out of Nam. With the vast improvements made since then, he would really dig it. I want to have a nice M-4, preferably a Bushy, to keep if they try and ban the ARs too.

Even Tom isnt sure what the barrel would be worth... so I really dont know... I will try to call RAAC tomorrow, and see *IF* they even sell them...

If I can get one from them, I will let you know pricing, so we can go from there. Fair enough?

Tom also thinks if I can remove the old barrel, he may be able to roll the bump out... the gas block would have to go with it though, as it wont come off without the bump not there.

Then once I have the GB and Barrel off, I might as well do the dinzag retainer route and get real AK wood on it...

seems like this bump in the barrel is going to potentially cost me a bundle! LOL

Or I can trade Tom the old gun and a few bucks for a new gun when he gets an order for an SBS 20 gauge...

So we will see... That may be the BEST route yet...

If I had the cash, I'd just buy it from you and use it the way it is.

You're afraid to shoot it, but don't know when the bulge happened. Therefore, you don't know how many times it's already been fired since it happened. Also, as thick as Saiga barrels are, it's not going to burst now unless you get someting else stuck in exactly the same place, and it may not then.

HHMMM, now I really wish I had the cash, I'd use it for a burst test.

PS: I have a few old boys out here who've been hunting with shotguns with bulges in the barrels for years, thin barrels too, not thick-ass Saiga barrels, in 12 ga. People keep shooting shotguns with dents in the barrels, and that's an intrusion, more likely to cause problems.

Just to throw my nickels worth in, I saw many a shotgun come into my retail store in eastern NC over a 20 year span, with bumps and dents where they shouldn't have been..............and some of them old Rem Model 11's shot real fine with a bulge or two down the barrel......... :smoke: .............But, hey, in my original "Vankiller" vid, you can see a shorty 20 in use...........no biggie......

If I had the cash, I'd just buy it from you and use it the way it is.

You're afraid to shoot it, but don't know when the bulge happened. Therefore, you don't know how many times it's already been fired since it happened. Also, as thick as Saiga barrels are, it's not going to burst now unless you get someting else stuck in exactly the same place, and it may not then.

HHMMM, now I really wish I had the cash, I'd use it for a burst test.

PS: I have a few old boys out here who've been hunting with shotguns with bulges in the barrels for years, thin barrels too, not thick-ass Saiga barrels, in 12 ga. People keep shooting shotguns with dents in the barrels, and that's an intrusion, more likely to cause problems.

I've got tons of bills to pay and I'm trying to get an AR together before it gets too late :cryss:

TRAITOR!

:booo:

Blame me. I let him shoot my MGI made AR-15 in it's 7.62x39 config.

It uses ether AR pattern mags OR AK-47 pattern mags and several different calibers. But that's another story.