AK-74 BAKELITE MAGS for the SAIGA .223

Will a AK-74 Bakelite mag fit AND feed in a Saiga .223? A regular AK-47 steel mag will fit like it was made for the Saiga .223 oddly enough but of course its the wrong caliber. I can't see why the 5.45 mags of a AK-74 wouldn't work. If they do work I am going to forego getting my AR-15 and just mod this Saiga to death.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A bakelite 5.45 with the front sides ground down to clear the trunion and a wee bit filed off of the mag body just above the mag catch tang worked just fine WITHOUT a feed ramp in my 223 Saiga tonight, even though it wobbles a bit from side to side. I had to only load 10 rounds at a time, but the 223 follower from Robinson Armament will take care of that and the mag will function with a full 30.

• 3 months later...

ak74 magazines work fine for me. got robarm follower bought them from rpbusa.com were modified. some needed little epoxy here and there to tighten up when they lock in.

dont grind the tabs that contact front trunion modify the rear of mag. above the magazine lock protrusion. check your stock saiga mag.

go slow to fit.

Every '74 mag you "modify" to fit the Saiga .223 will be specific to the Saiga. They will be useless in any other .223 AK, and the mags from any other AK will be useless in the Saiga. That's unacceptable to me. If you ever need to grab a mag for one rifle or the other, and you should grab the wrong one, it could be down right embarrasing, if not fatal. Also, you need to buy twice as many mags that you then may confuse. Just know that. If you are fine with it. Then, enjoy. Otherwise simply return the bottom of the lugs in the barrel extension/trunion to their proper AK-101 dimensions.

not true. you can get ak74 magazines working with saiga with only mod modding the inside wall so 223 feeds better. wont affect 5.45x39 from being used. will need the robarm follower. with robarm follower you can still use 5.45x39.

god forbid you should mark or tape the magazines to tell them apart :lolol: